Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:48:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

2nd Peter, Chapter 3, verses 5-8, Authorized King James Version

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Peter, Chapter 3, verses 5-8, Authorized King James Version  (Read 3107 times)
Rennes-le-Château
Superhero Member

« on: June 13, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »

And a big No, no, and no to all your responses Hermocrates. You are a Theolgian looking for a means to justify your faith. While your post, and coincidentally Robert's were also largely a character attack on me, I have to remind you that this is an archaeological website and most people here are looking for proof that Atlantis existed, and will not be buying into your metaphysical agenda.
You are not into Plato for philosophy, as it appears to me, but only for Atlantis.

Just like 99% of the people who research Atlantis.

You also seem to be someone that has no faith in the Bible on the basis of "faith."

Unlike you, I keep my faith separate from my beliefs in science, you apparently marry the two. If so, please divulge your evidence that the world is only thousands of years old or that there was a global flood. The point is, if you can't, you are a hypocrite.

The Bible itself is not in question here, obviously.

More accurately put, it's not  at question for you because you are an apparent religious zealot.

You are still using two different "rules" for judging what is myth and what is not, when comparing Plato's mention of Atlantis and the Bible's stories.

No I am not, as I said earlier, the Bible is a complex blend of myth, folklore and local color, Plato says in Timaeus and Critias that Atlantis was "true." Had he not said so, we would not be having this discussion.
Remember that both Atlantis and any story in the Bible has a God as its beginning.

We are not looking for proof of Poseidon's existence anymore than we are looking for proof of God. We are looking for Atlantis, at least some of us are. Every religion has a central deity at the head of it incidentally, everything down from Zoraster, I suppose you have never heard of him.

My opinion is that you don't understand Plato. Perhaps it's because you are not a philosophy student, and have hit upon Plato only for the mystic and popularity of the Atlantis Myth.

My apologies if you thought this was a philosophy website, but, judging from your posts, you have very little understanding of Plato yourself, especially since you believe he was a devout Christian like yourself and are looking in seemingly desperate ways to link your beliefs to him.

Now, if you had really understood Plato, reading the Timaeus, you would have noticed that Plato did indeed talk about those same stories in the Bible, only they are the Greek versions. Also throughout Plato's writings, if you had read them and paid close attention, you would have noticed a Greek Samson; Heracles (Hercules) is the name. Just to mention one.

The stories of Hercules and Samson have absolutely nothing to do with each other, save for they were both strong. Plato doesn't mention any of the stories of the Bible in ANY of his writings, if he did, by all means, please present the evidence for it. You won't because you can't.

Here is also a little help in logical thinking.

Love the superior tone, by the way, an old debating trick. When you have NOTHING to add to discussion, like you do, act superior. From my point of view of you, you are basically a Theologian trying to cram his beliefs, not evidence down the throats of anyone who will listen to them, but whatever. Anyone reading this knows what you are selling.

You stated that Atlantis appears only in Plato's writings, therefore it has to be true. Wrong! If something is true, and of such an epic proportion as Atlantis was made out to be by Plato, how come no one else had mentioned it before? I mean in the way that Plato gives detailed account of it. 

Well, that is why Atlantis remains such a captivating mystery, and it WAS mentioned in other accounts, at least in part. There are threads here devoted to that topic. You apparently don't believe in Atlantis, fair enough, so where is your proof of Noah's Ark or any of those other Bible stories you believe in. I am guessing you don't have any, though you have spent way more time looking for them than you have Atlantis.

If you cannot believe the Bible, then you cannot believe in Atlantis.

Plato writes that the story is "true," a "fact and not a fiction." The notion of a Bronze Age society to the west of the Pillars of Hercules being wiped out by a flood is far more plausible than the obvious myths described in the Bible, many of which, like the notion of the global flood, have already been disproven by science.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:16:24 pm by Rennes-le-Château » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: