Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 09:49:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

6th Anniversary of 9/11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6th Anniversary of 9/11  (Read 350 times)
Scorpio

« on: September 09, 2007, 10:58:55 pm »

I am not an apologist for America.  There are things this country has done, and will do, apparently in my name, that I want no part of.  I know this country's history, and I am ashamed of a lot of the things our government has done - from the slavery that built it, on the backs of African-Americans, and the discrimination that is still present today.

Still, there are times in history when you know everything has changed, and your country has become something else, whether you were prepared for it or not.  On Tuesday, it will be the seventh anniversary of 9/11. 

The odd thing?  9/11 itself happened on a Tuesday.  This will be the first Tuesday where history gets to relive itself.

Oh, I remember it just as clearly as if it were yesterday.  Has it already been seven years?  It couldn't be.  I will relive where I was at right now. 

It had been three months since I started that job at the time, a government job I am still at right now. I turned the radio on.

Those shocking words:  "A plane has hit the World Trade Center."

I was certain it was pilot error.  I remembered, during the 40's, a plane had also hit the Empire State Building, no biggie. 

And then, about ten minutes later, the radio said that a plane hit the second tower.  At that moment, I knew we were under attack.  The Pentagon was hit shortly afterwards, people couldn't seem to be clear whether it had been struck by a bomb, a missile or what had happened.

I remember all flights being grounded, and the news warning that some flights were still unaccounted for.  I stepped into a meeting at the place I work in and gave updates to my co-workers, each of them trying to continue with business as normal, even though I knew that the world was all coming down around us...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:09:47 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Scorpio

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:10:12 pm »

Word of the last plane crashing (Flight 93) didn't happen until mid-morning. People didn't know what happened, there was talk that it may have been shot down by a missile.  But there was a lot of misinformation that day.

There was word that people were actually jumping out of the top stories of the buildings to escape the fires.  I couldn't believe it, it seemed fantastic at the time.

And then, WTC 2 collapsed.  It was the second hit, but it was the first to come down.  Incredible.  I had never in my life seen a building collapse like that.

About a half an hour later, WTC 1 collapsed.  First hit, the "wound" hadn't been as severe, but the impact of WTC 2 falling weakened it as well. 

I just couldn't believe that the trade centers were gone. 

Bush was nowhere to be seen, his plane was the only one in the air above the country that day, and he seemed more intent on keeping himself safe than anything else.  No one in the government took charge.  The reason why Guiliani's profile was so high that day was not anything he did, but the fact that he was at least there, talking to the media.  I have never seen a day where America had such an absense of leadership.

The day passed with scattered news.  No one seemed to know what was going on, who hit us, and why.

I ran an errand after work.  As I got out of my car, I heard that Building 7 had collapsed.  It didn't seem so hard to believe to me, those fires were burning hot. Later, I got home and I first saw the pictures of what happened, no words could do them justice....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:10:09 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged
Scorpio

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:20:07 pm »

But I'll try anyway.

We have all seen the pictures of the smoking towers.  Those images will stay in my mind forever, they are a sight that you will take to your grave - the wide shot, Tower 1 with smoke churning out of it, and a giant gash in the side. 

And then, a plane streaking through the air and hitting Tower 2.  For the longest time they burned, about an hour. 

And then, Tower 2 collapses - the smoke and debris pouring through the air, and all the people running from it.  The images, quite frankly, are the stuff that nightmares are made of.

What was it like to be one of the people trapped on the top floors, either forced to choose between death from fire or from jumping out of one ot the tallest skyscrapers in the world? 

What was it like to be a firefighter running into a burning building to save people and have the entire building fall on top of you?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:11:00 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:40:14 pm »

What was it like to find out that the civil servants risked their lives due to a false flag operation via America's Military Industrial Complex??    Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Scorpio

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:42:14 pm »

Forget, for just a minute, who may have actually done this and why.

Forget that Bush & his cronies have been making a living at invoking 9/11 to get support for every bull s*** idea they have that comes along.  

Forget that we still haven't got the guy who was supposed to be behind this, nor are, apparently, even interested in doing it any longer.

9/11 was, at it's core, the greatest visual horror in human history. The pictures themselves are rivalled only by those of the Holocaust.

The only single day events that even rival it are Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy Assasination.  I wasn't around for either, but I can't imagine that either it so close to home as 9/11.  It was a feeling that you walked around with for weeks, months. It honestly still hasn't faded for me.

I remember Bush gave some bull s*** speech the night 9/11 happened.  It inspired no one, Bush himself looked scared, confused. I couldn't help but to think that Clinton would have known the right thing to do.  A few days later, Bush visited the scene himself.  A lot was made of him putting his arm around the fireman - it would be just the first of whole shitload of photo-ops where he invoked 9/11 at every turn.

In the weeks following the tragedy, we saw the pictures of the people jumping out of the buildings, hitting the streets.

We saw the many posters of all the missing pasted all over Lower Manhatten.

We heard stories, like of Father Michael Judge, who was carried away by firemen after being killed at the site.

We waited for surivivors to be pulled from the wreckage, only to learn that there would be none, and that many were "vaporized."

We saw twin beams lit in place of where the trade centers used to be, which would go on for a year...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:11:38 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged
Scorpio

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:13 am »

I lost all respect for Guliani when he called off the search for survivors once they found their "gold" at the bottom of the World Trade Center.  I remember a fistfight ensued when the police tried to stop the firefighters from continuing. 

'F.D.N.Y.' has all of my respect, those guys risked everything, as for the cops who pulled that crap there, you can have them.

In the months that followed, the holes where the Trade Center would not stop burning. And the people who had the dedication to do the clean-up have all gotten sick from the pollution and many have died themselves. The government told them it was safe and still tries to skirt responsibility.

For Bush and Guiliani, 9/11 is the gift that keeps giving.

For all the people that did the actual clean-up there, it is the plague that keeps spreading.

But the event itself is like something stuck in time - I keep seeing the towers burning, anticipating when they will crumble down.  I imagine all the people leaping from the buildings to escape the flames, and I imagine all the people being trapped in the rubble.

9/11 was not just an American tragedy.  People from 87 different countries died in the attack.  America, flawed though it is, at least had the sympathy of the world.  Even Iran asked us if they needed help.

A greater man might have seized the opportunity, and, rather than wage yet another bull s*** war, used it as a chance to finally unite the world into the greater cause of peace. 

Sometimes, God puts people just the place they need to be to accomplish a certain task.  Others are such petty schmucks that you wonder if this world was ever meant to make any progress at all, like a rat, on a treadmill. 

After 9/11, the world grew evermore darker.  There were the Anthrax attacks, which begun only a week later. 

Then, there was the Patriot Act, the worse attack on a citizen's rights in history, the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, Abu Gharib, rendition, torture, all the way down to the current saber-rattling with Iran. 

Yes, the world certainly changed after 9/11.  And it's hard to see if and when it will ever change back, too.

Anyway, those are my memories of 9/11.  Anyone is welcome to share theirs as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:12:18 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged
Scorpio

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:16:08 am »

What was it like to find out that the civil servants risked their lives due to a false flag operation via America's Military Industrial Complex??    Angry

Did you ever visit the Trade Centers when they were around, Volitzer?  I notice you are from New York.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:12:45 pm by Scorpio » Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 03:19:47 am »

No we upstaters avoid Long Island and NYC, too many oddballs down there.
Report Spam   Logged
mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 04:05:47 pm »

Smiley I live in upstate NY as well, Volitzer.  I was there in July, and finally went to see what was left after 9 long years living in Arizona.  My wife and I did fly into New York for my wife’s funeral, exactly one week before 9/11 on the exact same plane that later crashed in Pennsylvania.  We had saved the plane tickets and were horrified to learn that they had the same call number as that flight. 

I grew up just outside the city, and attended the Juilliard School of Music at Lincoln Center.  Not much before moving to Arizona I was called in to see the owner of the  “windows of the world” restaurant at the top of the trade center.  They had heard about me and wanted to hire me to play the piano there.  Unfortunately for them, (and apparently fortunately for me), they couldn’t afford me. 

I viewed the whole thing on the news that morning.  It was days before I could get through on the phone to my brother.  He said that you could see the smoke from any of the overpasses of the New Haven Railroad, which gave you a clear shot to the city.  I stupidly asked him, “Can you see the towers from there?”  He replied, “not anymore.”  That’s when it hit me. 

This summer was the first time I’ve had the nerve to go down there to see it.  I have friends that I’ve lost touch with, who worked there.  I’m still not sure if they’re alive today.

While I’m sure there is something to be said in all the conspiracy theories that abound… it’s much too personal for me, much too close to home.  I’ve walked those streets since I was a kid.  This war was fought in my back yard.  I try not to think about who is actually behind this.  It hurts too much. Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Majeston

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:40:19 pm »

Sungate,

How interesting. 

A dear friend of mine also attended Juillard.  I happened to see her a show on Good Morning America a few years ago where she was doing some travelling as director of a bell choir.  Perhaps you even know her.

You might enjoy one of her writings about music.  I noticed you enjoyed my quotation in my signature line..

UNITY AND HARMONY
 Eileen Laurence
 The Urantian Journal of Urantia Brotherhood
 Fall, 1980

The URANTIA Book says that, "Harmony is the keynote of the central universe, and detectable order prevails on Paradise." (*301:4) The word harmony is taken from the Greek word "harmos," meaning a fitting, a joining. Interestingly, a synonym for harmony is "unison." As a musician, I have often pondered this association between harmony and unity and have spent much time dealing with the creative experience that leads toward these ideals.

For example, it's intriguing to note the similar patterns existing between the development of civilization on our planet and the evolution of music from around the 6th century to the present. When Andon and Fonta were rearing their family, they ". . evinced a very marked clannish spirit; they hunted in groups and never strayed very far from the homesite. They seemed to realize that they were an isolated and unique group of living beings and should therefore avoid becoming separated." (*713:4) The words clannish, isolated, and unique remind me of the monks living and working in the monasteries of medieval Europe. Listening to the Gregorian chants composed and sung then, I imagine a life of simplicity, plainness, a gentle flow of communication between the singer and the listener, the creator and the created. So it is between the newborn infant and his parents, a pure sharing, a sympathetic unity, a harmony. Food and shelter are necessary for physical sustenance, but in order for the soul to flower - love, guidance, and support must always be present. These elements fit together, harmonize, very efficiently as long as there is cooperation; cooperation between parents and children, between families, between God and man.

Cooperation Must be Learned

"But co-operation is not a natural trait of man; he learns to co-operate first through fear and then later because he discovers it is most beneficial in meeting the difficulties of time and guarding against the supposed perils of eternity." (*764:1) Early musicians learned through experimentation that some intervals such as octaves, fifths, fourths, and thirds were consonant to the ear; that melodies cooperating with each other were more expressive than monody. Music developed from the unified undulations of Gregorian chant to two and three part songs and accompanied melodies. Music-making encouraged socialization simply because the songs required more than one person to perform. The composer worked with the performers who, in turn, communicated the musical ideas to an audience. The development of music and civilization progressed from the state of exclusion to the stage of inclusion.

"Throughout the earlier ages of any world, competition is essential to progressive civilization. As the evolution of man progresses, co-operation becomes increasingly effective. In advanced civilizations co-operation is more efficient than competition. Early man is stimulated by competition. Early evolution is characterized by the survival of the biologically fit, but later civilizations are the better promoted by intelligent co-operation, understanding fraternity, and spiritual brotherhood." (*805:4) Think of a fine chamber music group such as the Juilliard String Quartet. Each member of that august group is a superb technician, a sensitive artist. They each enjoy a brilliant solo career and have achieved a high state of the art through intense competition, but some of the finest music, specifically Mozart and Haydn string quartets, cannot be played by one instrumentalist. In order for them to function as a quartet, four individuals must be so firmly secure in their own sense of identity and technical proficiency that they have a desire, indeed an urge, to go beyond themselves to work together in creating a universe of sounds that is far beyond even the sum of their unique contributions. "The group potential is always far in excess of the simple sum of the attributes of the component individuals." (*113:4)

With the picture and the sounds in your imagination of a string quartet rehearsing together, think of the relationship between harmony (unison) and chaos. To the unschooled observer, the black marks on the page of music would appear to be unintelligible. To the neophyte listener the rehearsal would seem chaotic, often even argumentative, as the players assert their individual interpretive ideas to the group. However, to an observer who is musically literate and who has watched or even participated in a chamber music rehearsal before, the process would be perfectly clear and predictable. "The attainment of completed spiritual insight enables the ascending personality to detect harmony in what was theretofore chaos." (*1306:Cool There seems to be a discernable pattern between a chamber music group playing string quartets and Paradise administration. "All Paradise conduct is wholly spontaneous, in every sense natural and free. But there still is a proper and perfect way of doing things in the eternal Isle. . .(*301:5)

Music is a Universal Language

As civilization becomes more complex, as communication becomes at the same time more possible and more difficult, we continue to struggle for a common language. We yearn for a clarity of understanding on our planet. We are told that "Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits. Harmony is the speech of Havona." (*500:6) Music has the power to convey ideas and emotions that are inexpressible in any other way.

"The maintenance of world-wide civilization is dependent on human beings learning how to live together in peace and fraternity." (*910:2) In thinking about this statement and James Zebedee's question, "Master, how shall we learn to see alike and thereby enjoy more harmony among ourselves?" (*1591:4), 1 find guidance in my experience as a singer. The vocal sounds I produce are unique to me. Through study, practice, and competition my skills have been developed and refined.

When I join with other like-minded singers to create vocal chamber music we join our individual voices to create a myriad of sounds none of us could possibly produce alone. If we work together in happiness and harmony towards a unison idea of following the intent of the composer and enhancing that intent with our unprecedented blend of sound, musicality, and intellect we are indeed creating a spiritual likeness. As Jesus said to James, "I do not desire that social harmony and fraternal peace shall be purchased by the sacrifice of free personality and spiritual originality. What I require of you, my apostles, is spirit unity - and that you can experience in the joy of your united dedication to the wholehearted doing of the will of my Father in heaven. You do not have to see alike or feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike." (*1591:4)

Those of us who are musicians and who have worked together in chamber groups are aware that sometimes we achieve an unspeakable feeling of unity as we go about our business of making music. For URANTIA Book readers, the experience of being sons and daughters of God is very real. "The unity of religious experience among a social or racial group derives from the identical nature of the God fragment indwelling the individual ... A group of mortals can experience spiritual unity, but they can never attain philosophic uniformity." (*1129:4)

We have looked briefly at the relationship between harmony and unity and the creative experience of the search for, and attainment of, these ideals. How important is the attainment of this goal in our daily lives? I think it is a vital contribution to the growth of God the Supreme. Certainly in a personal, national, and global sense we have a long way to go before we achieve Light and Life; but the urge is relentless and unquenchable. As we meet and work with other like-minded individuals we have the privilege of reaching down while reaching up and out to other helping hands who are also struggling for evolutionary perfection.

-Eileen Laurence Armonk, New York

http://www.urantiabook.org/archive/readers/doc915.htm

Local ringers in handbell heaven

Monday, 31 July  2006 

Reporter: Anthony Scully

The visiting ringers range in age from 14 through to adult, some of whom have been playing bells since they were nine years old

The New York Handbell Choir, in Australia to perform at the 12th International Handbell Symposium in Brisbane, gave a free workshop for locals before an evening concert at Newcastle's Christchurch Cathedral (above).

“We have involved some of the local ringers into the choirs, and we’re going to blow their socks off,” said Eileen Laurence (pictured), director of the Katonah Celebration Ringers from Katonah New York.

A visiting group of three separate handbell choirs invited a handful of enthusiastic Hunter ringers to perform at Newcastle’s heavenly Christchurch Cathedral on Saturday afternoon.

“We have involved some of the local ringers into the choirs, and we’re going to blow their socks off,” said Eileen Laurence, director of the Katonah Celebration Ringers from Katonah New York.

“We’re not going to give them a lesson. We’re just going to say ‘go at it’.”

The New York Handbell Choir, in Australia to perform at the 12th International Handbell Symposium in Brisbane, gave a free workshop for locals before an evening concert. The program contains a broad variety of music from classical to American jazz.

Joan Foulcher from Coal Point, a suburb of Lake Macquarie, south of Newcastle, was one of the locals teamed up with visiting ringer, Jesse.

“I’ve been a music teacher all my life,” said Joan, who described the visiting choir as “handbell heaven.”

“I used to teach at a private school at Parramatta, and I started a handbell team, from 1980 to 1990. Then we moved to Mudgee and I started another handbell team over there, and I’ve been missing it since we moved over (to Lake Macquarie).”

The visiting ringers range in age from 14 through to adult, some of whom have been playing bells since they were nine years old.

Together the ringers handle about 200 bells weighing from a few grams to almost eight kilograms.

Jesse said the workshop was part of the choir’s mission to experience different handbell cultures.

“Right now we’re just comparing techniques because there’s different methods of playing bells,” she said. “There’s something called four in hand where you have four bells in two hands and (Joan is) holding them one way and I’m holding them another way.

“Jesse has bells that are an octave apart,” Joan said. “Mine are chromatic; there are four different notes on the chromatic scale.”

Who's Who in Handbells
An informational list

(TS) TEMPO SETTERS is the title given to a series of videos made to preserve AGEHR and
handbell history in the U.S.  These videos feature interviews and narratives of past presidents,
Honorary Life members, and others who have had an impact on handbells.

Laurence, Eileen  --   Katonah NY 10536  --  AGEHR Composer, Conductor

Web References

1. www.katonahpresbyterian.org

www.katonahpresbyterian.org/co -  [Cached] 

Published on: 3/1/2007   Last Visited: 3/27/2007
 Our Director of Music, Eileen Laurence, is our organist, and leads our Adult Choir and bell choirs.

2. www.katonahpresbyterian.org

www.katonahpresbyterian.org/co -  [Cached] 

Directors Eileen Laurence

Upcoming Events
 The rich and varied music program at the First Presbyterian Church of Katonah is under the leadership of Eileen Laurence, the church's Director of Music. Ms. Laurence is ably assisted by organist/choir director Ginny Leeman.

3. www.katonahpresbyterian.org

www.katonahpresbyterian.org -  [Cached] 

Featured will be a newly published work, "How the Tomahawk was Buried," written by the choir's director, Eileen Laurence.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:41:25 pm by Majeston » Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Stacy Dohm
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:48:39 am »

Wow, Juliard, mdsungate, you must be really talented!  Do you make a living at being a pianist then?

Sounds like you lead a charmed life! 
Report Spam   Logged

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe
mdsungate

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 01:06:25 pm »

Smiley  First I have to correct what I posted, LOL.  Embarrassed

My wife and I did fly into New York for my wife’s funeral, exactly one week before 9/11

my wife and I flew back to New York for my brother’s wife’s funeral, not my wife’s, LOL.  Tongue

Smiley Yes Stacy for years I made my entire living from playing and performing.  But I had a head start with my father being a piano teacher.  I’ve performed as a pianist, and keyboard player and singer in all kinds of settings from Rock & Roll to classical concerts.  I was on the road a lot when I was younger.  But when I settled down to raise my family I had to cut back a lot.  Oil Billionaires used to fly me in every Thanksgiving to play, but there’s no way I’m spending my holidays with anyone but my family these days. I still perform on weekends, but I choose to be home with my wife and four children and just teach and play part time.  My three sons have a high school alternative rock band, and it’s their turn to live the crazy life, now. 

Smiley And Majeston, yes I’ve of course heard of Eileen Laurence.  She’s quite well known in the music education field, where hand bells are all the rage today.  But I don’t know her personally, although she and I both fare from Westchester county, in New York, where it's just a hop, skip, and a jump on the train to mid-town Manhattan.
But the skyline will never be the same for me, even after they build the new tower over the site of that horrible, horrible destruction. 

My wife's uncle was scheduled to deliver appliances the morning of 9/11 to the Wall Street area when his truck suddenly broke down. 

My neighbor in Arizona had been forced to retire early from her job as a stockbroker on the 103 floor of the tower, due to an illness.  The illness was perhaps a blessing in disguise, as she spent that entire summer attending funerals with her former boss who had stayed home sick that day.  Everyone in their entire company was killed that morning. 

Again, this thread hits very close to home.   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 11:32:34 am »

Was anyone actually in or near New York when 9/11 occurred?  If not, where were any of you on that day? 
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
mdsungate

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 12:50:01 pm »

Smiley  I can't speak for the rest, but I was there exactly one week before, and just recently.  I was in Arizona at the time, and watched it live on TV in horror.  How about you?   Smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:51:11 pm by mdsungate » Report Spam   Logged

Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 01:13:38 am »

I have been to New York in the past, and I saw the World Trade Center in person. I am no expert on New Yorkers, but it always seemed to me that they had more affection for the Trade Center after it was gone then when it was around. I would like to hear your opinion of that, mdsungate. To me, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and, of course, the Statue of Liberty were each far more iconic when it came to the great landmarks of the city - thank God the terrorists didn't chose to strike any of them as well.

Anyway, I was out for a walk the morning of September 11th, 2001, the weather was perfect that day.  I ran into a couple of men who seemed all shaken up. They told me that they had been watching TV and had to get away.  "Hadn't I heard the news?  Didn't I know what had happened?"  "No," I answered, and that was when they told me that America was under attack by terrorists.

I went home just as they were describing the Pentagon crash.  I saw the second tower then explode into ruins, then the first one.  I had been up into the observation deck on the World Trade Center and knew just how high up those buildings were.  I pitied the victims.  The rest of the day passed with the TV seemingly playing a movie, too incredible to actually be happening.  There was an unreal quality about the whole event and it is only made tangible when you look at the pictures of Ground Zero.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: