Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:28:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ban List

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban List  (Read 3482 times)
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »

I abhor censorship of any kind. People can feel free to promote anything they wish, so long as it relates to our subject matter here. However, anyone who comes here and posts ****, engages in racism or threatens others will be immediately banned without warning. This is a forum devoted to archaeology, politics and the arts. Our arguments need not get "heated" here. If you can't debate without losing your cool, perhaps an internet forum is not for you. That is all.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kindle

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:57 am »

Oh, I see, but it's OK if someone (Challoner) slanders and
makes defamatory comments against other forum users!!! 
Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »

Derogatory comments are part of every forum across the internet. Not just this one, every forum. That is a part of the debate. You may not like it, but in America, we have a word for it, "free speech." When one starts threatening other forum members, then it rises to a level that we will not tolerate.

I'd also like to add that it is also quite defamatory to start a thread for the express purpose of insulting another forum member as this one was:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,32758.msg252643.html#msg252643

Apparently, you want to apply your standards to one person and not another.  If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. Maybe this isn't the forum for you, Kindle, and you would be happier elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
Kindle

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »

It's amazing how you cherry pick which users are right and wrong! You truly need to go back and read Challoner's posts and remarks, he purposely started "Large Roman City Uncovered in Romania" explicitly to attack another persons livelyhood and good character, but that's OK?!?!

You claim this forum is a place to share and discuss anthroplogy and archaeology related issues, maybe you can enlighten users as to when Challoner discussed anthropology related issues on either of those threads? The fact is he didn't, anyone reading those threads can see he started an all out character assassination against another person, a professional archaeologist to be exact!

I see exactly how the politics work on this forum, just as long as the thoughts and opinions of others match your own, sadly all too often moderators think they're playing GOD, and clearly this is the case on this forum.  This is certainly a forum any professional in the field of archaeology should stay clear of -- your double standard sits unwell with me and I'm sure other forum users would agree!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:49:01 pm by Kindle » Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:32 am »

1. Threatening forum members is against the rules and anyone who does so will be banned.

2. Starting a thread for the express person of belittling a forum member is also against the rules.

Any reputable archaeologist would understand the point of both these rules and if they don't, I wouldn't want them as members anyway. The fact that you can't see the logic behind either rule is something I find baffling. Apparently, you are the type of person who believes that free speech is fine only so long as it is something you agree with it.

I have read the whole of the original thread you referred to. It was started to reference a  "Large Roman City Uncovered in Romania," i.e., an archaeological find and any comments referring to any of the organizations involved was merely incidental.  I don't see how you can possibly get that the original post was a character attack. It was only years after its original posting did apparently one of the members of that organization decide to take the material personally.

People are welcome to post what they wish here but we are NOT in the business of promoting any particular group, person or organization. They are welcome to promote themselves, but that does not mean that we are in the business of safeguarding and silencing any opposition to them. After all, I don't know who they are, do you? On the internet, we have only one's word they are who they say they are and I, for one, find differing opinions healthy.  Intelligent people can make their own decisions.

Understand that, in a free forum, people are welcome to have differing opinions and that people can disagree civilly. This was not done in the case of the banned forum member who not only was the one to initiate the original personal attacks, but drive them to a new level. 

We are not "playing God," our ban list is comparatively small to other forums. But people who threaten others are not welcome here, and if you think they should be, perhaps this isn't the forum for you, Kindle.

Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

In Elrics defense, many of our forum members are here to experience the scientific merit of others. Not the torture and cyber-bullying.
I'm not a mod, but I'm a member from way back. I find this disturbing, and tasteless.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:21:11 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »

Thank you, Herefornow.  Those who remember the animosity between members at our former forum will see the reason for this.

As for you, Kindle,

Starting a thread with the express purpose of insulting another is also against the rules. I weary of this. The forum exists for the study of archaeology, not the betterment of one person's reputation. If people could be sued successfully for what they write in internet forums, the courts would be back-logged for twenty years. Your words can also be construed as a threat, too. If you want to keep discussing Archaeotek, go to their website, not this one.

All threads related to them are now deleted, and all other talk about Archaeotek, whether pro or con, will, from this point on, be deleted from the forum. Any future members of theirs who come here to promote them will now be banned. As I said, we are not in the business of promoting anyone and safe-guarding anyone's reputations. 

Good day to all.
Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »

As I remember the former forum, you guys were the bullies.

but hey no one read this anyway

LMAO

Not to split hairs, but it looks like it has been read 109 times.

Well, if we were that sordid of personalities, why keep trying to come back to us? Do something else with your life, with the kind of people you prefer. I believe Atlantis Rising is still open, though I haven't been back there in some time.

Eight years and you still can't get over things, quite sad. You sound like "Ishtar," correct?

As for the forum being "quiet," well, better no company than bad company, I always say.

This is a scholarly website, not one for disruptive, disgruntled people. Best of luck on future endeavors, Echo, try to get some help. You clearly have issues that go beyond the posting in internet forums.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:49:01 pm by Elric » Report Spam   Logged
Elric
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:07 pm »

If anyone else wants to come back here from the former forum and post mean-spirited, hateful things, by all means, please stay away. It has been eight years, get over it. You are not martyrs, you were not victimized. You have the former forum all to yourself now and have had it for many a year at this point. Do what you want with it.

Internet forums are about passionate debate, or else used to be until places like Twitter and Facebook stole out thunder. We don't care how many or how few people come here, this is a small forum started by a handful of students and you add nothing to it by coming here and posting spiteful things.

That is all.
Report Spam   Logged
Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:16 pm »

Funny

Don't I know you from another forum, I hear Ishtar went over to Above top secret and became on of their top fifty members,

I'll go you one better, when it came to crazy, Ishtar was number one!

you guys were some of the most cruel mean people I ever encountered on line.

Considering that you are nutty as a fruitcake (proof being that you still can't let go after eight years), we'll take that with a grain of salt.

More aptly put, because we did not share your narrow-minded, bigoted conservative viewpoints and your George W. Bush worship, we are "nasty." Get some psychiatric help.
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Healthcare is a Right, Not a Privilige
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: