Atlantis Online
August 18, 2019, 06:28:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Texas Abortion Bill Filibustered By State Senator Wendy Davis Is Dead

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Abortion Bill Filibustered By State Senator Wendy Davis Is Dead  (Read 241 times)
Janilee Wolff
Superhero Member

« on: June 26, 2013, 10:04:08 pm »

Texas Abortion Bill Filibustered By State Senator Wendy Davis Is Dead

Posted: 06/26/2013 4:05 am EDT  |  Updated: 06/26/2013 9:23 am EDT

The Texas anti-abortion bill, which threatened to close nearly all of the abortion clinics in the state and prompted an 11-hour filibuster by state Sen. Wendy Davis (D), is dead, The Austin American-Statesman reported.

Lawmakers had to vote on Senate Bill 5 before the special session's end at 12 a.m. local time. However, more than 400 protesters halted the proceedings 15 minutes before the roll call could be completed with what they called "a people's filibuster," The Associated Press reported.

The crowd of demonstrators in the capitol cried "Shame! Shame!" when Davis' filibuster was halted by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, who ruled that her discussion of mandatory ultrasound testing was off-topic. Then the protesters roared after state Sen. Leticia Van De Putte asked, "At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues?”

Their cries continued to echo inside the chamber -- and over a livestream watched by thousands around the world -- until after the midnight deadline passed.

Although some Republican lawmakers later claimed the bill had passed in time, Democrats denied that the vote was completed before the clock ran out on the session.

A time stamp showing the vote completed after midnight was the deciding factor. “This will not become law,” Sen. John Whitmire (D), told The Austin American-Statesman.

In response, the crowd of protesters gathered in the capitol cheered and began singing "The Eyes Of Texas," the alma mater of the University of Texas at Austin.

Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood, also responded with joy to the news.

The official vote was recorded at 12:03 a.m. Know why? Because of you. #StandWithWendy #SB5 #TXLege
    — Cecile Richards (@CecileRichards) June 26, 2013

According to The Texas Tribune, Dewhurst was less than pleased by the evening's turn of events. After ruling that the time on SB 5 had expired, he told reporters that "an unruly mob using Occupy Wall Street tactics" had derailed legislation that was designed to protect women and babies.

The legislation would have prohibited abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, regulated first-trimester abortion clinics as ambulatory surgical centers and restricted access to medication abortions. Had it passed, nearly all of the clinics in the state would have been shuttered.

Dewhurst also hinted that Gov. Rick Perry may call another special session to get the bill passed, saying: "It's over. It's been fun. But see you soon."

Despite a long day of filibustering, Davis was upbeat when she greeted the crowd of supporters, who applauded the senator and chanted her name.

"Today was democracy in action,” Davis said. “You all are the voices we were speaking for from the floor.”
Report Spam   Logged

Janilee Wolff
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »

If male senators were the ones who got pregnant, they'd make abortion mandatory. That way, nothing would change and they wouldn't have to explain the scandalous cheating on their spouses that they're famous for. Women all across America are proud of you, Wendy!! Thank you for giving us a voice.

It is time to abort conservatism in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Report Spam   Logged
Janilee Wolff
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:07:20 pm »

Let abortion be available to the women who want it and if you don't won't it, don't have it. But for men to be making the decision of what a woman should do with her own body is preposterous.

“Lawmakers, either get out of the **** business or go to medical school”

- Senator Wendy Davis
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »

If male senators were the ones who got pregnant, they'd make abortion mandatory. That way, nothing would change and they wouldn't have to explain the scandalous cheating on their spouses that they're famous for. Women all across America are proud of you, Wendy!! Thank you for giving us a voice.

Many of them are gay anyway...

However what about the rights of the un-born ?

Amazing how their rights get lost in all this ?

This is lib-tardism at its worst, where the homosexuals get rights for unnatural acts but the un-born can go F#CK themselves even tho they came about by natural acts, minus **** and incest.
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

This is really an asinine argument. most abortions are done pretty early, when the thing is barely developed. An inch long zygote is supposed to have the same rights as a woman? Go eff yourselves, men would never put up with that crap if it happened to them.

And you conservatives make me laugh, you people care about the rights of a child?? YOU? You are the same people that **** about welfare mothers. Allegedly you want women to have every baby, but once the kid is born you could give a crap about it. Then, to the extent you do care, it is because you just want to have more cheap labor. Some of you are even pushing for child labor! Yeah, you are all soooo much for the children.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

This is really an asinine argument. most abortions are done pretty early, when the thing is barely developed. An inch long zygote is supposed to have the same rights as a woman? Go eff yourselves, men would never put up with that crap if it happened to them.

And you conservatives make me laugh, you people care about the rights of a child?? YOU? You are the same people that **** about welfare mothers. Allegedly you want women to have every baby, but once the kid is born you could give a crap about it. Then, to the extent you do care, it is because you just want to have more cheap labor. Some of you are even pushing for child labor! Yeah, you are all soooo much for the children.

Don't mistake the pro-life Constitutionalists with the phony con-tarded Republican that supports un-constitutional wars that raises the death toll even higher among youth.

How come women don't stand up like this to get welfare moms back to work or out of the prison systems ?

Has Wendy Davis done anything else with her career ?

How many rights would women have had had they gone thru with their North American Union plans ?  Where was she on that ?
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:31 pm »

Have the baby then give it up for adoption if you don't want it.  The adoption market is huge and women can get paid even if it was a mistake.

Besides the way women are selfish and irresponsible these days anyway you'd think more of them would be going the adoption route just to get money rather than have CPS harass their lives all the time.  Adoption would reduce case manager loads dramatically.
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:22:12 am »

Gee, just what the world needs another woman-hater! So gee, I guess by your logic only men get to be selfish and irresponsible. And you probably could give a damn about whether or not men pay child support or not and, like Volitzer, don't want women taking welfare either. Misogynistic moron.
Report Spam   Logged
Misty Allen
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:39 am »

This is too rich, Krista! Men lecturing women on being selfish and irresponsible! I'm sure guys like you could give us lessons!
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »

Gee, just what the world needs another woman-hater! So gee, I guess by your logic only men get to be selfish and irresponsible. And you probably could give a damn about whether or not men pay child support or not and, like Volitzer, don't want women taking welfare either. Misogynistic moron.

You know I think we have the next reality TV show.   Welfare moms and inmate island.   We'll stick all these deadbeats on an island and what they'll have to do is grow their own food, be productive and try to build a society.  ALl the kids will be in the US with relatives as they would be too irresponsible to have them at this point.  If they fail back in jail if they succeed they can come back to America.  We'll have a panopticon around the whole island and some veterans running the place.  3 strike rule.  Be productive in your own life or the state will do it for you.

Damn I should be a TV producer, between that and con-tardia and lib-tardia I could make a fortune.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37:56 pm »

This is too rich, Krista! Men lecturing women on being selfish and irresponsible! I'm sure guys like you could give us lessons!

I helped raise 4 nieces into very smart and productive women free from the lib-tardedness that is NYS culture.

I should raise more women.  I hope my gf has some of our own.  We'll find out soon giggity giggity.
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 02:56:14 pm »

Why is condemning the irresponsible women of America misogyny ?

Men make up the majority of Globalists and politicians and I never let them get away with any misdeeds here.

Giving the baby up for adoption is a 5 way win.   1) The baby lives,  2) the woman doesn't have to take care of it,  3) She can get paid to give it up.  4) She avoids going on welfare.  5) The kid will less likely end up in jail.

Of course if she is in a traditional marriage then she has nothing to worry about unless it is an out of wed-lock baby.
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »

Why is condemning the irresponsible women of America misogyny ?

Cause you only knock women, not men, you do know how babies are made, don't you?

What do you give a crap about abortion in the first place for? Neither you or Volitzer give a s*hit about women, you're both just about taking your hostility towards women out anyway you can. Until either of you can start having babies yourselves, mind your own damn business.
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »

I am looking forward to having children with my fiancée here real soon.  I've been down the road of taking care of babies, changing diapers, teaching them to read etc.

Even foreigners I talk to wonder about you American women like why all you think about is where's the party, who am I going to hook up with next, where can I get wasted, they are just astonished the lack of focus and priority in American women's lives.

I am curious Krista are you and a boyfriend making any serious long term plans for marriage and kids ?
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 12:16:24 am »

You may be looking forward to it, but your poor fiancee will end up doing most of the work!  I don't plan on having a baby anytime soon, I am too young, but that isn't the point.  Even if I was, why would I want to make every woman who gets pregnant have a baby?  I don't know what their situation is. Frankly, it is none of my business if they do or not, or yours! 

This is where this conservative business about "less government" really falls on its face. You sure as hell don't less government if you want them interfering with private medical decisions!  And you don't care about "life" either, not if you are out buying guns and having no qualms about blowing people away who you think might be coming for them.

I have heard this crap about foreign women from Volitzer, bull sh*it!  Women are loads more liberated in Europe than they are here. Maybe you are thinking of Asia!  The women of America are as hard-working and ambitious as men are, most times even more. They have to be because lots of them are single mothers! And before you and Volitzer go off on women again, remember this: you both had moms that raised you. I am betting they weren't this mythical user/partier type that you seem to keep running into.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: