Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 10:49:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'Veronica Mars' movie: Kristen Bell says it's finally happening... if you help

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Veronica Mars' movie: Kristen Bell says it's finally happening... if you help  (Read 216 times)
Dana Monsour
Superhero Member

« on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:24 am »

10:35 AM ET

'Veronica Mars' movie: Kristen Bell says it's finally happening... if you help -- EXCLUSIVE

by Jeff Jensen
Tags: EW Exclusive, Kickstarter, Kristen Bell, Scoop, Television, Veronica Mars   

Veronica-Mars-Cast_510x317.jpg

UPDATE: The “Veronica Mars—the Movie” Kickstarter campaign has now reached its fundraising goal of $2 million.

A long time ago, we used to be friends, but I haven’t thought of you lately at all…

For some, that’s the opening line to a tune by The Dandy Warhols. For others, that’s the beginning to the theme song of a cult classic TV show that has never left their thoughts: Veronica Mars, the sophisticated teen drama/mystery serial starring Kristen Bell (Showtime’s House of Lies) as a strong and spirited new-model Nancy Drew whose adventures explored and exposed the rotten, complex injustice in her seaside town of Neptune, Calif. Ever since The CW canceled the series in 2007 after three seasons (the first two on UPN), can’t-let-go fans have pined for a movie. So have Bell and Mars creator Rob Thomas. “I have never fallen so deeply in love with a character,” Bell tells Entertainment Weekly. “ We all became so close, and the cancellation of the show left a huge hole in my heart. I would have put on Veronica Mars: The Circus to bring it back.”

Now, in a way, she is. In the spring of next year, the Veronica Mars faithful could be watching their beloved heroine (plus her pals Wallace and Mac, bad-boy ex Logan, proud P.I. pops Keith, and more) on the big screen — as long as they kick in a few bucks right now to get things started. Today, Thomas and Bell are launching a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a low-budget Mars movie that would be shot this summer. The goal: $2 million in 30 days. If they reach it, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution. (The film would be released in the first quarter of 2014 for a limited-time theatrical run, before moving to VOD, iTunes, and other digital platforms.) If they don’t reach the goal: No movie.

Thomas tells Entertainment Weekly in an exclusive joint interview this week (click here to buy the issue) with Bell that the Kickstarter strategy represents the only way a Veronica Mars movie was ever going to get made: Warner Bros. had previously determined that a film with a bigger budget and a conventional marketing plan was too expensive and not viable for the studio. Thomas and Bell are confident that fans of the show will rally to the cause — especially since they’re offering an array of rewards packages for pledges as low as $10 (updates during production and a copy of the script on the day of release) and as high as $10,000 (a part in the movie).

Thomas says he has such high hopes for how much they can raise, “I’m afraid to say it out loud.”

“I’ll say it,” says Bell. “$100 million!” (She’s joking.) (Maybe.)

Thomas and Bell have even more to say about their Veronica Mars dreams and schemes in a video they shot for the campaign’s Kickstarter page. The witty short features donuts, a puppet show, several familiar faces (brace yourself for the return of a certain broody someone’s smoldering gaze), and… well, you don’t need any more description, because you can watch it right now, right here:

Fun Fact! That puppet-show theater was built by Bell’s fiancé, actor Dax Shepard.

Another Fun Fact? That video was actually shot in February of last year. Yep: The plan to revive Veronica Mars has been in the works for quite awhile, and you can get all the details from Bell and Thomas about how their plan came together in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands and tablets this Thursday. You’ll also get some scoop on the plot of the movie, which involves mystery, murder, and yes, a high school reunion.

Twitter: @EWDocJensen

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/13/veronica-mars-movie-kristen-bell-kickstarter/?_r=true
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dana Monsour
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:02:42 am »

'Veronica Mars' movie is a go! 'My mind is blown' says Rob Thomas -- EXCLUSIVE
by Erin Strecker
Tags: EW Exclusive, Kickstarter, Kristen Bell, Veronica Mars   

Comments +
    Add comment

Kristen-Bell_510x317.jpg

Image Credit: Scott Garfield/UPN

You did it, Marshmallows!

Less than 11 hours after Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell announced a Kickstarter campaign, fans have raised the $2 million necessary to finance a Veronica Mars movie. It’s officially on!

“My mind is blown. I’ve been fantasizing about this and had to tell myself, ‘Stop it, Rob, you’re being silly. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment,’” the Mars creator tells EW. “And now today has exceeded the wildest pipe dream I let myself entertain. Holy cow. We better make a good movie. These amazing fans have stepped up. We better deliver.”

“I knew Veronica Mars fans were cool, but I had no idea they could rally with such power. They are unstoppable — just like Veronica. I will have a permanent blush on my face, feeling so lucky to be associated with this entire thing,” says Bell.

The goal was to raise $2 million in 30 days. Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution. But exhibiting a passion that broke Kickstarter records in just six hours, fans have been flocking to the site since the page went up at 7:30 a.m. PT.  And even though the goal has been reached, pledges can keep coming in.

In a previous interview with EW,  Thomas spilled details about the upcoming movie’s plot, which will include — no surprise — murder, mystery and a high-school reunion. It will film this summer and be released in early 2014.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about? Now is the perfect time to catch up: The entire three-season run is streaming in full over on TheWB.com (the show originally aired from 2004-2007).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/13/veronica-mars-movie-is-a-go-kickstarter/
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: