Atlantis Online
August 20, 2019, 03:14:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How to Publish Your Own Fantasy Novel

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Publish Your Own Fantasy Novel  (Read 726 times)
Allison
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »

THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors, I want to buy your book so get over here!

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)
May 24, 2011 02:29am

Carol (CarolBridgestock) | 14 comments Hi Shane!
Thank-you for the link! We hope you are well. Good luck with your book! We will pick it up!
We've having a really exciting time as the sample books have just arrived from our publisher for our first crime fiction novel and we have just heard that the eBook had gone live.
A national newspaper rates it a ‘Cracking Story,’ and famous script writer P J Hammond of Midsomer Murders, Sapphire & Steele etc. says ‘I think it's marvellous. It's both witty and harrowing, and the dialogue and characters are great. It also reveals so much about working coppers' problems with the system. I know this sort of thing has been dealt with in previous police stories, but you bring a deeper insight to it without being preachy or pretentious. Most importantly, the police characters are believable and one cares about them. The mortuary viewing scene with the dead child is heartbreaking. In fact, it's a difficult book to put down.
If you’d like to download the first two chapters of 'Deadly Focus' you can do so by visiting our website www.rcbridgestock.com. I hope you get the time to read them and enjoy! The second book in the RC Bridgestock series is due out in August and it's called 'Consequences’; Book 3 is with the publisher for consideration and Book 4 is ready to be re-written.
Exciting times!
Kind regards,
Carol

reply | flag *

message 2: by David P (new)
May 24, 2011 02:48am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Hi Shane - I am one of a growing group of people who believe that encouraging people to give books away or sell them for ridiculously low prices like $0.99 is damaging access to decent writing. I would never buy a book that was priced at 99 cents - I would assume it was rubbish and even if, as I am sure applies to your writing, it is not poor - it is bad news for all authors. I would like readers not stalkers!

reply | flag *

message 3: by Marc (new)
May 24, 2011 03:40am

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 91 comments David wrote: "Hi Shane - I am one of a growing group of people who believe that encouraging people to give books away or sell them for ridiculously low prices like $0.99 is damaging access to decent writing. I w..."

I have a few stories on smashwords for 99 cents, but they're all short stories. My latest novel is up there for 2.99.

reply | flag *

message 4: by Sean (new)
May 24, 2011 04:53am

Sean Cronin | 109 comments Shane wrote: "Hello everyone my name is Shane Porteous and I am a first time published author. My book Rasciss tells the story of Hollowawk a man who literally defied death and now must face the wrath of petty g..."

Great offer Shane. I fell ya - everyone does review Harry Potter, etc.
I'm not on smashwords now. But, in part thanks to you, I'll look into it.
Sean

reply | flag *

message 5: by C. (new)
May 24, 2011 04:54am

C. C. (cjoybellc) | 26 comments I don't know what smashwords is.... but I'm on kindle... but not for 99 cents.... Smiley but if you want, you can check me out anyway and see if you're interested in my work.... au revoir! merci! Smiley

reply | flag *

message 6: by David P (last edited May 24, 2011 06:00am) (new)
May 24, 2011 05:58am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Shane wrote: "David wrote: "Hi Shane - I am one of a growing group of people who believe that encouraging people to give books away or sell them for ridiculously low prices like $0.99 is damaging access to decen..."

I apologise for obviously offending you Shane. It was not my intention at all. I do however feel that this constant obsession with driving down the price of books is short sighted and ridiculous. Fortunately, Amazon at least will not allow you to publish for less than $2.99 which I think is reasonable for a short story and whilst I am a fan of Smashwords, I would not sell for $0.99 anyway - particularly as I believe any reader should have an even playing field on pricing, if the vendor discounts that's his choice - but I'm not going to encourage readers to buy from any particular vendor - which I would be doing if I priced differently on different platforms or publishers. My comment about stalkers refers to an earlier discussion. People were justifying charging little or giving stuff away free as 'creating a following' - experience suggests that this is the literary equivelent of having a stalker as opposed to having a girlfriend! Perhaps one should remember that senses of humour differ on a national basis and jokes really are not transferable across the pond! Good luck with your project though, but I won't be selling my books for $0.99 ever - I'd rather stop publishing! I would give genuine reviewers the book for free - but there are lots of people out there who are not real reviewers and simply look to keep their reading lists well stocked without actually ever buying anything.

reply | flag *

message 7: by Sharon (new)
May 24, 2011 06:06am

Sharon (fiona64) | 415 comments I have only one 99 cent book (and one free one) on Smashwords -- and the former is non-fiction and the latter is essays. Neither of these are in your genres of preference, but I appreciate your interest. If you (or anyone, for that matter) still want to check out my work, here is my Smashwords page: Sharon E. Cathcart

BTW, the "sweet spot" for eBook pricing seems to be between $1.99 and 3.99 in my experience. My pricing decisions are based on a number of factors. For example, my essay sampler is fewer than 10 thousands words and I give it away. Yet, I see people with 850 word eBooks for which they are attempting to charge $8.99 or more. I don't know what drives *their* algorithm, but I would definitely not feel right asking such a thing.

reply | flag *

message 8: by Thad (last edited May 25, 2011 09:57am) (new)
May 25, 2011 09:57am

Thad Brown | 16 comments Shane, I really appreciate this offer! My short story The Smoking Gun Sisterhood: Chapter One Biker Angel is available for 99 cents on Smashwords at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... . (It's the first story in my The Smoking Gun Sisterhood collection, which is where the publisher got that "Chapter One" terminology, but the stories are actually mostly not connected at all, except by genre or theme --they all have pistol-packing heroines.) I wouldn't hold you to reading it if you think it's not something you might enjoy; but if you'd want to make it one of your fifty after reading the description, I'd be honored!

reply | flag *

message 9: by Thad (new)
May 26, 2011 09:10am

Thad Brown | 16 comments Great! Thanks a bunch, Shane.

reply | flag *

message 10: by Thad (last edited Jun 01, 2011 06:09am) (new)
May 27, 2011 05:18am

Thad Brown | 16 comments Shane, I found your review (and voted just now to "like" it). Glad you liked the story!

(As a footnote, not all of the male characters in the other stories in this collection are sexist and interested in only one thing -but you're right that the lowlifes in this one certainly are.)

reply | flag *

message 11: by Thad (new)
Jun 01, 2011 06:13am

Thad Brown | 16 comments Yes, Shane, you're exactly right; you could only review the one story you read, so that was no criticism of your accurate assessment of the male characters there! (I just wanted to let folks know that not all of my male characters are in that mold.)

You've made a really generous offer here. Frankly, I'm surprised more authors aren't making use of it!

reply | flag *

message 12: by Judy (new)
Jun 01, 2011 08:49am

Judy (Judy5cents) | 11 comments Right now, there are just sooooooooo many Smashwords authors on Goodreads, all selling ebooks for 99 cents, it's the literary equivalent of walking into one of those "Everything's a Dollar" store. Yes, you'll probably find something really great for just 99 cents, but most of the stuff they sell is cheap junk. With all those people trying to hawk their 99 centers on Goodreads, you have to come up with a way to show your book is special. And when you do, please let me know, so I can use it.

I'd love to offer you my book, Tree Huggers which is available at B&N in Nook form, but it costs $5.49. But that's way better than the retail price for the paperback which is $16.00. I'd always wished the price would come down on my books because people don't want to spend that kind of money on a book from an unknown, but I'm inclined to believe that 99 cents sounds too cheap.

reply | flag *

message 13: by David P (new)
Jun 01, 2011 10:24am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Judy wrote: "Right now, there are just sooooooooo many Smashwords authors on Goodreads, all selling ebooks for 99 cents, it's the literary equivalent of walking into one of those "Everything's a Dollar" store. ..."

You are differentiating yourself Judy - by charging a sensible price! You are quite right that most books sold for 99 cents are junk - and if they aren't then they deserve to be treated as such. I personally would never buy a 99 cents book - I don't even read the blurb - I simply move on to a sensibly priced book and read the blurb there. I still might not buy it if I don't like the sound of it - but then at least I've given it a chance which the 99 cents offerings don't get - at least with me and I suspect an increasing number of disappointed readers!

reply | flag *

message 14: by Thad (new)
Jun 01, 2011 05:37pm

Thad Brown | 16 comments We've had some discussion above on the issue of pricing writings at 99 cents. So far I think it's generated more heat than light, which is probably understandable where people believe that their own income is being threatened. It's quite probable this post may only wind up adding to the heat as well, but I'm honestly hoping it will contribute some light instead.

Four points are worth making here. First, authors who aren't self-published generally don't set the prices for their works (and even if they are self-published, they may use a printing service that has ideas of its own); and second, there is a significant difference between full-length books and short stories, even though both can be electronically published as stand- alones. A half dozen of my short stories are for sale online for 99 cents, and they sell for that price on Amazon, too; I believe the $2.99 rule only applies to full books. When the book-length collection is finally published as an e-book, it will certainly cost more, which I feel is appropriate. But in any case, the price was set by the publisher. Until the printed Trestle Press edition of the collection is available, I'm still selling a self-published one for $11.70 ($6.49 for the e-book); but that's the lowest price I'm allowed to charge by the printing service I use, though I could have made it higher. I elected to opt for the lowest price to make the book more affordable to readers.

That brings us to the third point --not all readers nor all Goodreads members are independently wealthy. For some of us, and in this economy I suspect many of us, purchasing brand-new books is a luxury that may compete with our families' actual needs, and which is hard to justify when we can read all the books we want for free from a library. When we do buy a book, price is definitely a big factor in the decision. If I can buy a whole book (that I actually would want to read) at a yard sale for 50 cents, I feel quite glad, not demeaned and self-degraded. In that light, I don't find the idea of paying several dollars for a mere short story especially cost effective. So, yes, I'm a writer with the economic self interests of a writer; but I'm also a reader who understands the economic realities of other readers, and that colors my attitudes on book pricing. Frankly, I never expected to get rich from my writing, or even to make a living from it; I just love writing, and love sharing what I write with others who enjoy it. If you expect, and even need, to make more from your writing, and if you believe your optimum price (for a short story, or whatever) for doing that is higher than 99 cents, that's fine with me; I respect your right, or your publisher's right, to charge what you want to. (I'd appreciate the same courtesy, though I might not receive it.) But competition from stories sold for 99 cents is not a significant reason that you have limited sales. Whatever it pleases you to believe, if those were all gone tomorrow, the basic realities of today's book trade, and of the larger economy that shapes it, would be exactly what they are today.

Finally, the fourth point. David, you wrote "most books sold for 99 cents are junk --and if they aren't then they deserve to be treated as such" (sight unseen, no questions asked, and no attempt made at a reading). Your opinion of my writing doesn't worry me, because I think most Goodreaders would trust the reviews of people who've read it over the blanket dismissal of someone who hasn't. (Although, given your concern over your own income as a writer, it's ironic that you have no qualms about deliberately trying to hurt other author's income!) But whether you're able to recognize it or not, that kind of slur on the writing of myself and other James Masoners, and a good many others, who've put as much time, effort and passion into their craft as you have, to create literary works that have given real enjoyment to many readers and said things we felt needed to be said, is personally offensive, boorish, and rude; and it doesn't reflect badly on anybody here except yourself.

reply | flag *

message 15: by David P (new)
Jun 02, 2011 01:36am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Thad wrote: "We've had some discussion above on the issue of pricing writings at 99 cents. So far I think it's generated more heat than light, which is probably understandable where people believe that their o..."

Hi Thad - sorry you feel I have insulted your writing by suggesting that most books (and I did say most) books sold for 99 cents are junk. Frankly they are - how do you think I came to the conclusion that they were a waste of time even contemplating in the first place? I also would turn your argument around to say you are distorting the market by charging ridiculously low prices for your books - you are potentially damaging other authors who perhaps take their occupation a little less whimsically than you do. I fully agree prices vary according to the perceived value of the work - in my opinion $2.99 is fine for a short story - (in fact Kindle Direct Publishing doesn't allow you to charge less as I understand it - obviously they also see the requirement to make a profit.

I would continue to strongly argue that anyone who cared about the future of writing should continue to avoid books sold at silly prices and stop undermining writers by trying to set a price point where nobody can make any money. There is very little in this world someone can't make a little worse and a little cheaper.

If you are interested in readers I would suggest you might like to encourage writers to get a return for their work, not add to their demise by undermining their craft.

reply | flag *

message 16: by David P (last edited Jun 02, 2011 05:35am) (new)
Jun 02, 2011 05:34am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Shane wrote: "David wrote: "Thad wrote: "We've had some discussion above on the issue of pricing writings at 99 cents. So far I think it's generated more heat than light, which is probably understandable where ..."

Hi Shane - good to debate these things and understand where you are coming from. I try not to promote my writing too blatently on these threads because I am genuinely interested in the subject. I publish everything in e-book format and with as many outlets as possible. Some short stories I ONLY publish in e-format as this enables people to download at low cost (in my case $2.99 - which I consider cheap enough)- the idea of publishing a paperback version of a short story I do not consider to be commercially viable. Wherever I have a full length novel or an anthology of short stories I also publish in paperback. Another of (okay let's call it a prejudice ;-)) or foibles, I also very rarely buy anything that is ONLY produced in e-book form (unless it is a short)- it always seems to me that something only published in digital form didn't have enough confidence from anyone to publish - not even the author! Whilst I download books for reading on my Kindle - I only do it for things I feel I need to read, rather than want to read and own. I, like you, prefer paper based books - anything I wish to own or are likely to read more than once, I always buy in paperback form.

So, to summarise, I publish all full length books or anthologies in paper and e-book form, I charge about half the price of the paperback book for the e-book version (usually $6.99 as opposed to around $13.00) and shorts for $2.99 - in e-book form only) - I think that provides a significant acknowledgement of the lower production and fullfillment costs of e-books versus paper, whilst still acknowledging some value in the content (i.e. the story).

reply | flag *

message 17: by Sharon (new)
Jun 02, 2011 06:34am

Sharon (fiona64) | 415 comments I have weighed in to a certain degree already, but I would suggest that the next time you're on B&N or Amazon, look for the tag "too expensive for an eBook" or "too expensive for Kindle" ... and see how many people are complaining about paying $9.99 for a full-length eBook. That's the same price as a trade paperback -- which has significantly more costs to create.

I started out with my novel at $5 -- and found that I sold far more at $2.95 -- volume is what creates the income. EBoook sales are outstripping paperback sales by a long chalk, and the idea that you can determine the value of a book's contents by its cover price is ludicrous. I would feel like I was cheating a reader by charging them $2.99 for a single short story, to be honest.

reply | flag *

message 18: by David P (new)
Jun 02, 2011 07:13am

David P Elliot (davidpelliot) | 201 comments Sharon wrote: "I have weighed in to a certain degree already, but I would suggest that the next time you're on B&N or Amazon, look for the tag "too expensive for an eBook" or "too expensive for Kindle" ... and se..."

Interesting? - so why do Amazon insist they are a minimum of $2.99 then?

reply | flag *

message 19: by Werner (new)
Jun 02, 2011 09:43am

Werner | 410 comments Sharon, apropos of your point, I have a vampire story on sale at Amazon for 99 cents. (As was pointed out above, Amazon does NOT require $2.99 minimum prices for short stories.) One person who bought it for that price later complained that, although it was a good enough story, he/she had expected it to be a full length novel (though the publisher's description explicitly said "short story"). So that tells us something about the climate of reader expectations that we're dealing with.

I heartily agree with Shane and Sharon's patient explanations above of the economic facts of pricing dynamics. And Shane, thank you for this thread, and for the kind and helpful thing you tried to do for fellow authors. Like you, I regret the fact that it was inexcusably hijacked!

reply | flag *

message 20: by Sharon (new)
Jun 02, 2011 10:03am

Sharon (fiona64) | 415 comments David wrote: "Interesting? - so why do Amazon insist they are a minimum of $2.99 then? "

Their profit margin, I rather imagine. However, if you look you will find that there are several full-length books priced at less than $2.99 -- because they are available elsewhere for less and Amazon does price matching.

reply | flag *

message 21: by Virginia (new)
Jun 02, 2011 05:31pm

Virginia Llorca (virginiallorca) | 111 comments Most books I hear of I get at the library. Our house just has too many already. But I do go with the certain sign up specials from the book clubs. I gaze hungrily at the shelves in the bookstores and practice self-control, sometimes because I have to. But I just forked over $39 plus shipping for a certain 1920 printing of The Mill on the Floss that I know is a beautiful edition. Go figure.

reply | flag *

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)
Jun 02, 2011 06:28pm

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

My book is on Smashwords for the asking for free. Free coupon to download. Smiley

reply | flag *

message 23: by Michael (new)
Jun 02, 2011 10:01pm

Michael LaRocca (MichaelEdits) | 50 comments http://www.editormichael.com/?page_id... has all the details about:

Vigilante Justice
Lazarus
Conundrum
The Chronicles of a Lost Soul
Rising From The Ashes
How Red Is My Neck?
Skull Dance

Guess what? Three of those are free. Enjoy!

reply | flag *

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 02, 2011 10:45pm) (new)
Jun 02, 2011 10:45pm

Shane wrote: "Sonia wrote: "http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

My book is on Smashwords for the asking for free. Free coupon to download. Smiley"

how do I download it for free?"

Here it is Shane. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...
Coupon Code: GZ76T

Please feel free to use it. Smiley

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/560589-authors-i-want-to-buy-your-book-so-get-over-here
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: