Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:33:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Should we build a real-life Starship Enterprise and fly it to Mars? (+video)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we build a real-life Starship Enterprise and fly it to Mars? (+video)  (Read 322 times)
The Creeper
Superhero Member

« on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:06 am »

Of course, like all space ships today, the big “if” for such an ambitious effort would be getting Congress to provide NASA the funding to do a huge 20-year project. But BTE Dan has that all worked out, and between tax increases and spreading out budget cuts to areas like defense, health and human services, housing and urban development, education and energy, the cuts to areas of discretionary spending are not large, and the tax increases could be small. “These changes to spending and taxes will not sink the republic,” says the website. “In fact, these will barely be noticed. It’s amazing that a program as fantastic as the building a fleet of USS Enterprise spaceships can be done with so little impact.”

In Pictures: Famous Aliens

Related stories

Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz
    Does America need a full-size, fully functioning AT-AT? Do we even need to ask?
    'Star Trek 2': J.J. Abrams discusses 3-D, Benedict Cumberbatch

Ads by Google
U.S. Cellular® Phone Sale
Start the New Year W/ a Smartphone
for $49.99 or Less. Get Details!
www.uscellular.com

Subscribe Today to the Monitor

Click Here for your FREE 30 DAYS of
The Christian Science Monitor
Weekly Digital Edition

“The only obstacles to us doing it are the limitations we place on our collective imagination,” BTE Dan adds, and his proposal says that NASA will still receive funding for the science, astronomy and robotic missions it currently undertakes.

But he proposes not just one Enterprise-class ship, but multiple ships, one of which can be built every 33 years – once per generation – giving three new ships per century. “Each will be more advanced than the prior one. Older ships can be continually upgraded over several generations until they are eventually decommissioned.”

BTE Dan, who did not respond to emails, lists himself as a systems engineer and electrical engineer who has worked at a Fortune 500 company for the past 30 years.

The website includes a blog, a forum and a Q&A section, where BTE Dan answers the question, “What if someone can prove that building the Gen1 Enterprise is beyond our technological reach?”

Answer: “If someone can convince me that it is not technically possible (ignoring political and funding issues), then I will state on the BuildTheEnterprise site that I have been found to be wrong. In that case, building the first Enterprise will have to wait for, say, another half century. But I don’t think that anyone will be able to convince me it can’t be done. My position is that we can – and should – immediately start working on it.”

For the complete space nerd experience, check out  Build The Enterprise.

Hat tip to Rand Simberg.

RELATED: Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz!

Nancy Atkinson is Universe Today's Senior Editor. She also is the host of the NASA Lunar Science Institute podcast and works with the Astronomy Cast and 365 Days of Astronomy podcasts. Nancy is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: