Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:26:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Alan Moore: why I turned my back on Hollywood

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan Moore: why I turned my back on Hollywood  (Read 458 times)
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:20 pm »

Moore regrets that neither his father or his mother got to read his best stuff before passing away in the 1990s. (Though his mum did once tackle Swamp Thing, "which I think was probably the second book she'd read in her life, after the novelisation of The Sound of Music".) It's to his parents that he credits the conviction that money is of secondary value in life. "It was my class. The only thing you could pride yourself on, in the Boroughs, was to be decent people. To stand up to bullies. That was very heavily imprinted on me as a kid, and it's not a bad way to conduct your life."

His daughter Leah recently had twins, and Moore is a grandfather four times over. Did that give him pause about all the cash he's turned down? "No. I look out for my kids as much as I can do, and the grandkids don't ever go short. But I don't want to set them up in mansions, any more than I would have wanted Ginger Vernon to have accepted that job 100 years ago."

You suspect that Moore, a century on, will take his place alongside Vernon in the family legend. The eccentric ancestor who refused a fortune, out of stubbornness, or from other, hazier, essentially quite decent reasons.

While walking Moore has been pointing out local landmarks: the Guildhall where he married, and a statue that marks the town's role in the discovery of DNA, and the site of the old Woolworths where he used to buy his jotters. Now he pauses in Northampton's ancient market square, one of the country's oldest. The market was granted its charter by Richard I on 18 November, 1189. "And 18 November happens to be my birthday," the writer says, with plain satisfaction. "So in many ways, je suis Northampton. Yes... I do identify with this town."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/dec/15/alan-moore-why-i-rejected-hollywood-interview
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: