Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:45:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Alan Moore: why I turned my back on Hollywood

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan Moore: why I turned my back on Hollywood  (Read 440 times)
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 20, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »

Moore has a complicated relationship with money. "Pure voodoo," he says now. "Only there as long as we believe in it." Challenged, during a television interview this year, about why he would sign away the movie rights to a comic such as Watchmen if he didn't ever want it to become a movie, Moore said he gave up the rights because he never expected any adaptations to happen; he called it making money for old rope. But then the films came out, and somewhere along the way Moore developed such a distaste for what he saw on the screen, and the revenue accrued from it, that he asked for his name to be taken off the credits; then he started turning down production money. Moore gave his share of the Watchmen fee to Dave Gibbons, the artist with whom he conceived the series.

As well as Jimmy's End, Moore and Jenkins recently filmed a related short called Act of Faith, set within the same fictionalised Northampton. It cost £11,000, which on the set of Watchmen would have paid for… ? "Oh, the coffee. This is it: I am horrified by the budgets of these films, almost as much as I am by the films themselves."

"I've developed a theory that there's an inverse relationship between money and imagination. That if you've got lots of imagination then you don't really need much money, and if you've got lots of money then you won't bother with much imagination.

"You've got to be able to pay your bills, otherwise you're not going to sleep at night. But beyond that, the world inside my head has always been a far richer place than the world outside it. I suppose that a lot of my art and writing are meant to bring the two together."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: