Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 10:33:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Genesis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genesis  (Read 1470 times)
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 01:02:01 am »

Inspiration and influences

Genesis has taken influence from a wide range of music, ranging from classical music to mainstream rock and jazz. Classical music was an influence on Tony Banks, Anthony Phillips and Steve Hackett in particular. Gabriel and Banks were big fans of Simon and Garfunkel. Banks also drew influence from Alan Price of The Animals, whom he regarded as "[t]he first person who made me aware of the organ in a rock context".[64] Collins has cited Buddy Rich and the jazz-rock outfits The Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report. He was heavily influenced by The Beatles, the band he cited as the reason he started making music, The Action ("They were big heroes of mine, especially their drummer, who I copied all the time")[65] and the soul music of Motown, Stax Records and Atlantic Records.[66] Hackett's formative years were also influenced by The Beatles, and he has cited "I Feel Fine" as one of the records he learned to play guitar from.[67] Gabriel's early career with Genesis took influence from Nina Simone and King Crimson.[68]
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: