Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 01:59:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Genesis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genesis  (Read 1281 times)
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:38 am »

After a hiatus of five years, Genesis reconvened for the 1991 album release We Can't Dance, which was to be Collins' last studio album with the group. The album features the hit singles "Jesus He Knows Me", "I Can't Dance", "No Son of Mine", "Hold on My Heart", "Tell Me Why" and "Never a Time" (a US release only), as well as lengthy pieces such as "Driving the Last Spike" and "Fading Lights". The album which was produced by Nick Davis includes "Since I Lost You", which Collins wrote in memory of Eric Clapton's son Conor. In 1993 it was nominated for the Brit Award for Best British Album.[43] At the 1993 American Music Awards on 25 January, Genesis won the award for Favorite Pop/Rock Band, Duo, or Group.[44]

Collins left the band in March 1996. He reasoned that he "felt it time to change direction in my musical life. For me now, it will be music for movies, some jazz projects, and of course my solo career. I wish the guys in Genesis all the very best in their future. We remain the best of friends."[45]
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 12:56:32 am »

Photo taken during the performance by Genesis of "Land of Confusion" in Knebworth, England (August 2nd, 1992). de:Bild:Genesis Live 1992.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 12:57:01 am »

1996–1998: Calling All Stations and Ray Wilson

Rutherford and Banks decided to continue as Genesis. However, they required more than one new member, because the band had lost not only Collins, but also the live musicians i.e. guitarist Daryl Stuermer and drummer Chester Thompson. Stuermer was approached, but was touring with Collins at the time; Thompson enquired regarding the vacant drum stool, but after he was refused full-band membership, he ended his 19-year association with the band. Eventually, drumming duties were shared between Nir Zidkyahu, an Israeli session drummer, who had played with Hidden Persuaders, and Nick D'Virgilio, from the American progressive rock band Spock's Beard.[9] The difference in their playing styles was marked; D'Virgilio played softer, more subtle rhythms in comparison to Zidkyahu's bombastic technique.
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:57:39 am »

Ray Wilson, Sänger der Band Stiltskin und früherer Sänger der Band Genesis, auf einem Solokonzert im August 2010
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 12:58:06 am »

Ex-Stiltskin singer Ray Wilson was appointed as the new lead singer of Genesis. Other candidates had included Nick Van Eede from Cutting Crew, Kevin Gilbert, Paul Carrack from Rutherford's Mike + The Mechanics, Francis Dunnery (ex-It Bites), David Longdon (ex-Louis Philippe band) and ex-Marillion vocalist — and two-time Banks collaborator — Fish.[46]

On the band's criteria in the search for a singer, Banks noted: "We needed someone who fits as many of the things you require as possible — being able to improvise with the kind of music we write and also someone capable of jumping in at the deep end and fronting a band." Wilson was immediately incorporated into the songwriting process, being given "half-a-dozen" songs to work on and ending up with three co-writing credits on the final album.[47]
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 12:58:34 am »

1997's album Calling All Stations sold well in Europe, while the track "Congo" reached No. 29 in the UK. The album was not as successful in America, where it failed to reach the Billboard Top 50. During 1997 and 1998, Genesis toured across Europe; Banks, Rutherford, and Wilson were joined live by Zidkyahu and the guitarist Anthony Drennan, who previously had worked with Paul Brady and The Corrs. However, a planned American tour was cancelled due to the album's poor sales performance. Following the truncation of the Calling All Stations tour, Genesis dismissed Wilson and went on an extended hiatus, although the members remained in regular contact. In an April 2007 interview, Wilson expressed his disgust at how his dismissal was handled, saying "it was like death by silence."[48] He also said, he regretted his time spent with the band, feeling uncomfortable as a self-described "working class" man with the wealthier likes of Banks and Rutherford, and also revealed one of Phil Collins's assistants told him Collins "wasn't happy that they had continued."
1998–2005: Partial reunions and hiatus

In 1998, Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett, Phillips, Rutherford, and Silver gathered for a photo session and dinner to celebrate the release of the box set, Genesis Archive 1967–75. In 1999, the 1971–75 line-up of Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett and Rutherford released a new version of "The Carpet Crawlers" for the Turn It On Again: The Hits compilation. On 21 September 2000, Collins, Banks, and Rutherford along with Daryl Stuermer performed acoustic renditions of "I Can't Dance", "Invisible Touch", "Follow You, Follow Me," and "Turn It On Again" at the Music Managers Forum, in honour of their manager Tony Smith. Gabriel attended but did not perform.[48] Most of the original members were involved in compiling the two Archive boxed-sets. Acoustic versions of "Afterglow", "No Son of Mine" and "Follow You, Follow Me" were recorded for a documentary film about the band's history at this time.
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 12:59:08 am »

2006–present: Reunion and future

After much speculation regarding a reunion, Banks, Collins and Rutherford announced Turn It on Again: The Tour on 7 November 2006; nearly 40 years after the band first formed. The tour took place during summer 2007, and played twelve countries across Europe, followed by a second leg in North America. The trio had wanted to reunite as a five-piece with Gabriel and Hackett for a live performance of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. While Gabriel reportedly agreed in principle to perform, he was unable to commit to a date. Collins later observed that "Peter is a little over-cautious about going back to something which fundamentally is just fun".[49] Hackett agreed to participation but decided not to without Peter.[50] Phil, Tony and Mike toured with Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer.

The band and the producer since 1991, Nick Davis, remixed their back catalogue (into 5.1 and new stereo mixes) for release in three batches over the course of 2007 and 2008, each comprising a third of the band's albums (from Trespass to Calling All Stations) in a boxset-style release. Each album is presented as a double-disc set containing a multi-channel hybrid Super Audio CD, as well as a DVD-Video with DTS 24bit/96K and Dolby Digital 24bit/48K 5.1 tracks. The DVDs also include extras such as promo videos, live performances, TV appearances, tour programmes and new interviews in which the band discuss the period surrounding each album. (For the US and Canada pressings, the audio discs are regular CDs and not SACD hybrids.) These remasters were released in three box sets: Genesis 1976–1982 in May 2007, Genesis 1983–1998 in October 2007, and Genesis 1970–1975 in November 2008, in addition to each album being released individually. Each box set contains the albums from its designated time period, as well as a bonus CD/DVD-A of non-album tracks.
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 12:59:45 am »

Genesis Archive 1967-1975, Genesis
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:04 am »

On 12 May 2007, the band were honourees at the second annual VH1 Rock Honors, along with Ozzy Osbourne, Heart and ZZ Top. Genesis performed "Turn It on Again", "No Son of Mine" and "Los Endos", which later was broadcast on VH1 in the US on 25 May 2007.[51] On 11 June 2007 Genesis officially kicked off their 2007 Turn It on Again World Tour in Helsinki, Finland. The band performed over 50 shows in several countries including Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Poland, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada. The German show was broadcast live to several cinemas across the UK and Europe. On 7 July 2007, Genesis participated at Live Earth, a series of concerts to promote action to confront global climate change at the new Wembley Stadium in London, along with other artists including Madonna, Duran Duran and Red Hot Chili Peppers.[
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:21 am »

In an August 2007 interview, Collins has stated that the recording of a new album is currently "very, I repeat, very unlikely" [emphasis in original], citing a lack of both time and inspiration.[53] However, Banks, on 22 August, stated "The three of us would be quite keen to have a go and see what happens."[54]

On 2 October, Starbucks released the CD Sampler Genesis: 14 From Our Past, containing one song from each studio album from Trespass on (except Nursery Cryme).

An album of the reunion tour, entitled Live over Europe 2007 was released in November of that year. The tracklist features a balanced set list covering most of their career. None of the songs recorded during Ray Wilson's time with the band were featured. In addition to the aforementioned album, sound deck recordings of each show were released by "The Music"[55] A DVD of the concert on 14 July 2007 in Rome's Circo Massimo, When in Rome 2007 was released on 26 May.
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:43 am »

In an interview to celebrate the release of the Genesis: 1970–1975 boxset, Tony Banks revealed that it is a possibility that the band may reunite with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. He said: "We've never said 'never' about it, you know. I know Phil (Collins) would be quite happy with the idea of just playing the drums; it would be quite fun for him. Mike (Rutherford) and I are certainly happy to do it. I know Steve (Hackett) is keen as well. I think it'd be down to Peter (Gabriel) more than anyone else." However, Collins has stated in various interviews that he is unable to play the drums due to a medical ailment. "After playing drums for 50 years, I've had to stop. My vertebrae have been crushing my spinal cord because of the position I drum in. It comes from years of playing. I can't even hold the sticks properly without it being painful, I even used to tape the sticks to my hands to get through."[56]

On 10 September 2009, Collins revealed in a post on the official Genesis website that during the 2007 Turn It on Again tour, he dislocated a vertebra in his neck which has required surgery to repair. The injury and resulting recovery has made it "impossible to play the drums or piano" according to the article. However, Collins states that in a year's time or more this situation could change. Future plans for any Genesis reunion could hinge on Collins's ability to recover and play the drums again.
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:58 am »

On 21 September 2009, Genesis released Genesis Live 1973–2007, a box set containing remixed and remastered editions of the band's first four live albums. The box includes Genesis Live and Seconds Out in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound versions, and Three Sides Live and The Way We Walk in stereo-only editions. On 23 November 2009, the band released a DVD box set of live concert videos filmed between 1981 and 1992.

On 15 March 2010, Genesis were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The band were inducted by Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio. Collins, Banks, Rutherford and Steve Hackett appeared at the ceremony, but Peter Gabriel did not appear due to rehearsals for his solo tour to support his new solo album Scratch My Back.[57] Genesis did not perform at the ceremony. Phish paid tribute to them by opening the show with "Watcher of the Skies" and then followed Anastasio's speech with a version of "No Reply at All".
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:14 am »

In a September 2010 interview with Billboard, Collins was less than optimistic about the future of Genesis, stating "I think Genesis are no longer. I don't foresee me doing any more Genesis shows. Not because I don't like it or don't want to. But it doesn't fit in with my life and wanting to be with the boys, and taking onboard [my other interests like] the Alamo and writing a book about that. And the other stuff that I'd like to do - and that includes doing nothing as well. But also, I can't physically play the drums. I don't want to sound like a spoiled kid, like I've had my stuff and I don't want to do it any more. But I have done it all my life, and now I'm enjoying another side of life."[58]

Citing family commitments, Collins announced on 4 March 2011 that he had ended his music career.[59]
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:43 am »

In an interview with Rolling Stone on 27 September 2011, Peter Gabriel said that a reunion with the classic line-up is still a possibility, but hopes remain very slim, stating "I won't say never ever, but it's in the outside department of the betting shop... if you stick with the stuff that nourishes you the most then you'll probably be the happiest."[60] Asked about the future of Genesis during an interview on BBC Breakfast on 4 May 2012, Tony Banks replied "I think we probably won't do it. Phil, particularly, has sort of moved on somewhat. We did do that last tour three or four years ago as a sort of goodbye. That was the idea of it."[61]

Genesis won the "Lifetime Achievement" award at the inaugural Progressive Music Awards in September 2012, with Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford receiving the reward on behalf of the entire band at the presentation evening on 5 September 2012.[62][63]
Report Spam   Logged
Crista Rodenkirk
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 01:02:01 am »

Inspiration and influences

Genesis has taken influence from a wide range of music, ranging from classical music to mainstream rock and jazz. Classical music was an influence on Tony Banks, Anthony Phillips and Steve Hackett in particular. Gabriel and Banks were big fans of Simon and Garfunkel. Banks also drew influence from Alan Price of The Animals, whom he regarded as "[t]he first person who made me aware of the organ in a rock context".[64] Collins has cited Buddy Rich and the jazz-rock outfits The Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report. He was heavily influenced by The Beatles, the band he cited as the reason he started making music, The Action ("They were big heroes of mine, especially their drummer, who I copied all the time")[65] and the soul music of Motown, Stax Records and Atlantic Records.[66] Hackett's formative years were also influenced by The Beatles, and he has cited "I Feel Fine" as one of the records he learned to play guitar from.[67] Gabriel's early career with Genesis took influence from Nina Simone and King Crimson.[68]
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: