Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 05:54:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A Haunted Mind

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Haunted Mind  (Read 221 times)
Avalon
Superhero Member

« on: November 23, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »

A Haunted Mind

Posted by: Nick Redfern on August 14th, 2012

A couple of days ago, I received in the mail a copy of Dr. Bob Curran’s new book: A Haunted Mind, which is a study of the life and work of H.P. Lovecraft – with most of the book devoted to addressing the very intriguing theory that much of the man’s fictional work was possibly based on his secret knowledge of all-too-real things malignant, ancient and other-worldly.

And, of course, it could be argued that Lovecraft brought to his readers an incredible body of stories on terrible beasts that, today, we might be very inclined to place into a definitive cryptozoological category. On this same matter, the book contains some fine artwork of the sorts of creatures that inhabited the mind of Lovecraft.

I’m about 50-pages into the book and it’s excellent reading. If you’re already a fan of Lovecraft’s work, are intrigued by the possibility that there might be actual truths behind the fiction, or are new to the man and his writings, Bob’s book is one I definitely recommend!

I’ll be doing a full review of A Haunted Mind right here once I have finished reading it.

PS: On a very refreshing note, Bob does not present Lovecraft as some untouchable god-like writer who is to be revered and praised on bended knee at all times. No. Instead, Bob shows the man as he was: deeply weird, massively flawed, odd, eccentric, racist, asexual, not at all likable, socially-challenged, and someone with an overwhelming and ridiculous sense (an incorrect sense, of course) of his own superiority and importance over others. Yes, Lovecraft was a tremendously gifted writer. But as a man? Well, put it this way: just be content to remember him as a great writer…

http://www.cryptomundo.com/books/a-haunted-mind/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »

coelacanth1938 responds: August 15th, 2012 at 5:41 am

Lovecraft scholars positively hate this book. It is full of lies and outright ignorance. It is doubtful that the ‘author’ has read more than a few of Lovecraft’s stories. It is painfully obvious that “A Haunted Mind” is no more than a feeble attempt to capitalize on H. P. Lovecraft’s popularity. Dr. Curran should be very grateful that the Mythos are mere fiction, or otherwise H. P. Lovecraft fans would be summoning a virtual army of unearthly horrors to settle his hash.
Report Spam   Logged
Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »

PS: On a very refreshing note, Bob does not present Lovecraft as some untouchable god-like writer who is to be revered and praised on bended knee at all times. No. Instead, Bob shows the man as he was: deeply weird, massively flawed, odd, eccentric, racist, asexual, not at all likable, socially-challenged, and someone with an overwhelming and ridiculous sense (an incorrect sense, of course) of his own superiority and importance over others. Yes, Lovecraft was a tremendously gifted writer. But as a man? Well, put it this way: just be content to remember him as a great writer…"

I don't know... I'm somehow inclined to acknowledge him as a god-like writer who is to be revered and praised on bended knee at all times

http://www.realclimate.org/
Report Spam   Logged
Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

He lived in poverty all his adult life.....died at age 47......It's sad ge never had a benefactor.....
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: