Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 08:50:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Presidential Debate 2012: Barack is Back

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presidential Debate 2012: Barack is Back  (Read 558 times)
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 16, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

Presidential Debate 2012: Live Updates From Barack Obama-Mitt Romney Showdown

Posted: 10/16/2012 7:42 pm EDT Updated: 10/16/2012 9:05 pm EDT

The presidential debate on Tuesday night will have Barack Obama and Mitt Romney interacting with their audience as the pair of candidates respond to questions from about 80 uncommitted voters.

Obama and Romney faced off against one another just two weeks ago. The president delivered an underwhelming performance at the event, and his Republican challenger subsequently saw a boost in the polls.

As the pair meet at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. once again, Obama is looking to shift the momentum of the race.

HuffPost Live is streaming the showdown between Obama and Romney. Click here to check it out.

Below, a live blog of the latest developments to unfold.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
live blog
Oldest Newest
Obama Finally Hits Romney On The 47 Percent

President Barack Obama waited until his final exchange to attack Mitt Romney's much-maligned comments at a fundraiser that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and see themselves as "victims."

"I care about 100 percent of the American people. I want 100 percent of the American people to have a bright and prosperous future," said Romney.

Obama replied that Romney is a good man who loves his family and cares about his faith. He then pivoted to Romney's 47 percent comment, which referred to the percentage of Americans not paying income tax.

"But I also believe that when he said behind closed doors that 47 percent of the country considered themselves victims, who refuse personal responsibility, think about who he was talking about," Obama said.

"Folks on Social Security who have worked all their lives. Veterans who have sacrificed for this country. Students who are out there trying to hopefully advance their own dreams, but also this country's dreams. Soldiers who are overseas fighting for us right now. People who are working hard every day, paying payroll tax, gas tax, but don't make enough income."

He went on, "And I want to fight for them and that's what I've been doing for the last four years. Because if they succeed, I believe the country succeeds. When my grandfather fought in World War II and he came back and got a GI Bill that allowed him to go to college, that wasn't a handout --that was something that advanced the entire country and I want to make sure that the next generation has those same opportunities. That's why I'm asking for your vote and that's why I'm asking for another four years."

The debate ended.

--Luke Johnson
Romney Gets Smacked Down For Saying Obama Didn't Call Libya Terror Attack

Mitt Romney heard President Barack Obama say Obama called the assault at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi a terror attack, and went for the jugular, expressing amazement, and doubting that the president declared it so.

The Romney campaign has hammered the Obama administration for allegedly downplaying the terrorist nature of the strike that killed Ambassador Chris Stephens and three other Americans.

"I stood in the Rose Garden and I told the American people and the world that we are going to find out exactly what happened, that this was an act of terror," Obama told the crowd at Hofstra University.

Romney was incredulous, apparently not having watched the speech, or forgotten it.

"I think it's interesting, the president just said something which is that on the day after the attack he went in the Rose Garden and said this was an act of terror?" Romney said.

"That's what i said," said Obama.

"You said it was an act of terror, it was not a spontaneous demonstration, is that what you're saying?" Romney asked Obama again, his eyebrows rising.

"Please proceed, Governor," Obama said to the stunned Romney.

"I want to make sure we get that for the record because it took the president 14 days before he called the attack in Benghazi an act of terror," Romney said, referring to the timeline of official explanations of what happened. And indeed, the administration initially linked the attack primarily to an anti-Islam film.

But, as moderator Candy Crowley pointed out about Obama's speech, Obama also called it terrorism. "He did, in fact, sir," Crowley told Romney.

The Rose Garden Speech is here.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2012/09/12/president-obama-speaks-attack-benghazi

-- Mike McAuliff
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

It's still fairly complicated: for days after the attack, members of the administration had indicated publicly that the incidents were prompted by an obscure anti-Islam videotape, and were not pre-planned. It took almost two weeks before the administration formally acknowledged that the attacks were a planned act of terror. But Obama did use the term "terror" when he spoke the day after the attacks, and Romney seemed to fall into a trap Tuesday night.

The question that prompted the exchange was about whether failures at the State Department had led to the attacks that left Stevens and the three other Americans dead.

On Monday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did a round of interviews in which she said that she took responsibility for the attacks, something that many believed may have been an attempt to take the heat off the president before the debate.

Instead, Obama said it was his burden.

"The Secretary of State has done an extraordinary job but she works for me, but I am the president, and I am responsible," he said.

Then, taking aim at the suggestion by Romney's campaign that the White House had played politics with the incident, he added sharply, "The suggestion that anybody in my team, the secretary of State, the UN Ambassador [Susan Rice] -- anybody on my team -- would play politics or mislead when we lost four people on our team is offensive."

--Michael McAuliff and Joshua Hersh
9:44 PM – Today
Obama Lumps In Romney With Arizona On Immigration: 'I Don't Want To Empower' Racial Profiling

PHOENIX -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday attempted to paint Mitt Romney with the same brush as hardliners in Arizona, asking why he supports laws that could lead to racial profiling and appealing to voters to think of their own children.

"He called the Arizona law a model for the nation," Obama said during the debate at Hofstra University in New York. "Part of the Arizona law said that law enforcement officers could stop folks that they suspected that maybe they looked like they might be undocumented workers and check their papers. And you know what? If my daughter or yours looks to somebody like they're not a citizen, I don't want -- I don't want to empower somebody like that."

At a watch party in Maricopa County, Ariz. -- the home of self-appointed "America's Toughest Sheriff" Joe Arpaio -- his opponent Paul Penzone and a group of 50 or so supporters watched the debate from a barbecue restaurant. Or, rather, they had the debate on while talking to each other and to Penzone, who gave remarks before the debate started. Even during the question on immigration, one of the issues that makes many hope to bring down Arpaio, most continued chatting rather than looking at the TV.

They didn't miss much, at least on immigration. Obama's attack on Romney's support for Arizona immigration law SB 1070, sometimes called the "papers please" law, isn't accurate, although the Republican has praised the spirit of the law by advocating "self-deportation."

Romney pointed out that he said another controversial Arizona immigration law, this one on employment verification, should be a model for the nation, not SB 1070 specifically. His campaign has been mum -- even at one point refusing to answer 20 straight times -- on whether Romney supports SB 1070.

As he's said before, Romney said he isn't in favor of rounding up 12 million people -- whom he called "illegals" -- but implied he was merely stating a fact that if immigrants can't find work or get benefits, they'll leave.

"We're not going to round up 12 million people -- undocumented illegals -- and take them out of the nation. Instead let people make their own choice," he said. "And if they find they can't get the benefits they want and they can't find the job they want, they'll make a decision to go a place where they have better opportunities."

Romney twice brought up Obama's failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform, which the president promised as a candidate in 2008 to bring up in his first year. Obama blamed that failure on opposition from Republicans, saying if people like Romney are leading the party, there won't be much hope of finding common ground on immigration.

"When Governor Romney says the challenge is well, Obama didn't try, that's not true," the president said. "I sat down with Republicans and Democrats at the beginning of my term, and I said, 'Let's fix this system' -- including senators who previously supported it on the Republican side. But it's very hard for Republicans in Congress to support comprehensive immigration reform if their standard bearer has said this is not something i'm interested in supporting."

Even though it was likely the only time during any of the debates that the candidates will discuss immigration, Romney used his last word to switch topics to one he mentioned repeatedly during the debate: China.

Sarah Bufkin contributed reporting.

-- Elise Foley
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:49 pm »

9:44 PM – Today
Bottom Line
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : Bottom bottom line: Obama shows up big timme and wins. Is it enough to reverse the polarities?

9:40 PM – Today
Obama Waits On 47 Percent Remark For Good Reason
jasoncherkis    @ jasoncherkis : Obama waits to use 47% line and he ends up picking the right moment -- the one where Romney gets no chance to respond.

9:39 PM – Today
Obama Gets In 47 Percent Attack

Obama: "I believe Governor Romney is a good man. I believe that he said behind closed doors that 47% of Americans are victims."
Final Thoughts
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : Bottom line: O showed up big time, summarized his case well. Romney backpedalled, but made the case (again) that O failed on the economy.

Romney Reverses Contraception Position Under Pressure From Obama

In response to a debate question about equal pay, President Barack Obama took the opportunity to criticize Mitt Romney's positions on contraception by pointing out that it is an economic issue for women.

"You know, a major difference in this campaign is that Governor Romney feels comfortable having politicians in Washington decide the health care choices that women are making," Obama said. "I think that's a mistake. In my health care bill, I said insurance companies need to provide contraceptive coverage to everybody who's insured, because this is not just a health issue, it's an economic issue for women. It makes a difference. This is money out of that family's pocket."

Obama pointed to Romney's support for the controversial Blunt amendment, which would allow employers to refuse to offer women insurance plans that cover contraception for moral reasons. He also criticized Romney's plan to cut funding for Planned Parenthood.

"That's a pocketbook issue for women and families all across the country, and it makes a difference in terms of how well and effectively women are able to work," Obama said. "When we talk about child care and the credits that we're providing, that makes a difference in terms of whether they can go out there and earn a living for their family. These are not just women's issues -- these are family issues. These are economic issues."

Romney, clearly on the defensive, then charged that Obama had mischaracterized his support for the Blunt amendment.

"I just know that I don't think bureaucrats in Washington should tell someone whether they can use contraceptives or not, and I don't believe employers should tell someone whether they have contraceptive care or not," Romney said. "Every woman in America should have access to contraceptives and the president's statement on my policy is completely and totally wrong."

-- Laura Bassett
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:28:31 pm »

9:38 PM – Today
Romney Watches Obama

(Getty Images)
9:38 PM – Today
Obama On Jobs

Obama, denying he believes government creates jobs: "That's not what I believe. I believe that the free enterprise system is the greatest engine of prosperity..."
9:36 PM – Today
Romney To Gubernatorial Staff: 'Find Some Women That Are Qualified'

Mitt Romney, a career businessman, said during Tuesday's debate that he was unable to find qualified female candidates for positions in the Massachusetts state government when he was governor, and that he had to instruct his staff to "find some women that are qualified."

Romney was responding to an unexpected question about women's roles in the workforce posed by an attendee at the contentious town-hall style debate in Hempstead, N.Y. The question, "In what new ways do you plan to correct inequalities in the workplace, specifically women who earn 70 percent of what their male counterparts earn?" received a quick answer from President Barack Obama, who emphasized that he was raised by a single mother, who he said "hit the glass ceiling," and "trained people who would end up becoming her bosses.

"She didn't complain, which is not something you did in that generation," the president said. Obama went on to describe his successful passage of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which provides women with broader options for filing charges related to unfair pay than they've had in the past.

Asked to respond, Romney opened with the fact that he learned a "great deal" about women's equality when, as a first term governor-elect in late 2002, all the applicants for cabinet positions "seemed to be men."

Romney said he asked, "why are all the these applicants men?" and was told, "well, these are the people that are qualified." Rommey said he replied, "Can't we find some women that are qualified?" Romney said he and his staff and, "we went out and found women that were qualified to be part of our cabinet."

Romney's example of having sought out "some women that were qualified" appears to undercut a fundamental Republican ideal about hiring: that people should not be given an advantage based on their gender or race.

Republicans have long opposed affirmative action in hiring, as well as many forms of restitution for women and minorities who believed they'd been discriminated against in hiring and promotions. Most notably, the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution failed to garner enough votes for ratification by its 1982 deadline.

In 2010, women still earned 77 cents to every dollar earned by men, according to Bloomberg Businessweek.

-- Christina Wilkie
9:36 PM – Today
Romney Hints At 47%

Romney: "I care about 100 percent of the American people. I want 100 percent of the American people to have a bright and prosperous future."
9:34 PM – Today
Romney: 'Government Does Not Create Jobs'

Romney: "Government does not create jobs. Government does not create jobs."
9:34 PM – Today
Obama: Some Jobs Won't Come Back

Obama: "There's some jobs that are not going to come back, because they're low-wage, low-skill jobs... I want high-wage, high-skill jobs... That's why we've got to make sure we've got the best science."
9:31 PM – Today
Brutal Obama Hit
zachdcarter    @ zachdcarter : Brutal Obama hit on Romney's support for "territorial" tax system, which allows zero taxation for offshore corporate $. #debate

9:31 PM – Today
Romney Pool Reporter: Burst Of Applause For Obama, Some In Response To Romney

Washington Post's Jason Horowitz, on pool duty, reports: "Obama saying 'Can you say that a little louder Candy' -- prompted a burst of applause here. But applause also for Romney when he pushed back, saying that it took 14 days for Obama's administration to disavow the idea that the attack was a protest over the video."

-- Ryan Grim
9:30 PM – Today
Obama: 'We Need To Create Jobs Here'

Obama: "We need to create jobs here. Both Gov. Romney and I agree, actually, that we need to lower our corporate tax rate."
9:29 PM – Today
Romney: I'll Label China A Currency Manipulator
markknoller    @ markknoller : On Day One, says Romney, I’ll label China a currency manipulator and put tarrifs in place against them.

9:29 PM – Today
China To The Mat
HuffingtonPost    @ HuffingtonPost : Romney: China hasn’t played by the rules #debates

9:27 PM – Today
Romney Addresses Outsourcing

Romney: "People think it's more attractive to go offshore than to stay here."
9:27 PM – Today
Speed Demon!
ariannahuff    @ ariannahuff : Romney got from the 2nd amendment to out-of-wedlock children faster than Paul Ryan didn't run that marathon.

9:24 PM – Today
Primal
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : I've never seen a prez debate in which the personal animus and near-physical confrontation was so clear. Politics at its most primal level.

Obama Hits Mitt Flip-Flop

Obama: "Gov. Romney was for an assault weapons ban before he was against it."
Dramatic Moment
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : Mitt thought he had Obama cornered. The closeup on TV showed Mitt with fire in his eyes. Then Candy to the rescue. Very dramatic.

9:23 PM – Today
Obama: Romney's Attack 'Offensive'
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : O calls Romney's attack on his handling of Benghazi "offensive." Candy backs O who said this was an "act of terror." Mitt overreached.
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »

Crowley Calls Out Romney
aterkel    @ aterkel : Crowley calling out Romney for not addressing assault weapons ban question - this is why follow-ups from moderator are good #debates

Obama To Romney: Looking At My Pension Doesn't Take As Long As Yours

In an exchange over immigration, Mitt Romney tried to return to a previous charge by President Barack Obama about his investments in Chinese companies, which make surveillance equipment that allow the communist government to spy on dissidents.

"Any investments I have over the last eight years have been managed by a blind trust and I understand they do include investments outside of the United States, including Chinese companies," said Romney, who criticized Sen. Ted Kennedy's blind trust as an age-old ruse in the 1994 Senate race.

"Mr. President have you looked at your pension?"

"Have you looked at your pension?" Romney said, turning to Obama and walking toward him.

"I don't look at my pension. It's not as big as yours, so it doesn't take as long," Obama said to laughter.

"Let me give you some advice," said Romney. "Let me give you some advice: You also have investments in Chinese companies, you also have investments outside of the United States. You also have investments in a Cayman trust."

Obama then turned the discussion turned back to immigration.

-- Luke Johnson
Cowed
jimmyasoni    @ jimmyasoni : Both candidates so tentative on question of guns. Shows you how absurd this debate has become, how fearful they both are of the gun lobby

9:21 PM – Today
Romney Gives Bizarre Response
samsteinhp    @ samsteinhp : two parent families is not really a response to a question on assault weapons

9:21 PM – Today
Romney Recalls Finding 'Binders Full Of Women' For His Gubernatorial Cabinet

The long-awaited first presidential debate question on women's issues addressed the subject of equal pay Tuesday night, and Mitt Romney did not take the opportunity to address whether he would have signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. But the candidate did recall how, as governor of Massachusetts, he sent women's groups out in search of qualified women for his cabinet because all of the applicants for those positions were men.

"They brought us whole binders full of women," Romney said. "I was proud of the fact that after I staffed my cabinet and my senior staff -- that the State University of New York in Albany did a survey of all 50 states and concluded that mine had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America. Now, one of the reasons I was able to get so many good women to be part of that team was because of our recruiting effort."

President Obama pointed out that the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act was the first bill he signed as president. He said the bill, which increases the legal avenues by which women can sue their employers over pay discrimination, was partly inspired by his grandmother's struggles in the workplace.

"My grandmother, she started off as a secretary at a bank," Obama said. "She never got a college education even though she was smart as a whip, and she worked her way up to become vice president of the local bank, but she hit the glass ceiling. She trained people who would end up becoming her bosses during the course of her career."

The president added, "Women are increasingly the breadwinners of the family. This is not just a women's issue. This is a family issue. This is a middle-class issue, and that's why we've got to fight for it."

-- Laura Bassett
9:20 PM – Today
Obama Talks Gun Violence
PatrickSvitek    @ PatrickSvitek : Obama: "Frankly, in my hometown of Chicago, there's a lot of violence, and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap handguns" #debates

9:20 PM – Today
Obama Explains What Doesn't Belong
joannazelman    @ joannazelman : Obama: Weapons designed for soldiers don't belong on our streets

9:19 PM – Today
Obama: I Believe In 2nd Amendment
politico    @ politico : Obama: "I believe in the second amendment" but there have been too many instances where he was to comfort victims of gun violence.

9:19 PM – Today
Romney Attacks Obama Over Libya Response
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : Mitt attacks O for flying to Las Vegas for a fundraiser a day after the Benghazi attack. O has stepped up his game, but Mitt's remorseless.

9:17 PM – Today
For The Record...
BuzzFeedAndrew    @ BuzzFeedAndrew : Obama's exact quote is: "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation." http://t.co/yGtQZw2e

Romney Falsely Claims Health Insurance Premiums Grew $2,500 A Year

Mitt Romney's assertion that health insurance premiums have gotten more expensive by $2,500-a-year during President Barack Obama's presidency is false.

Health insurance premiums for a family plan cost an average $15,745 this year, of which workers pay $4,316 on average and the employer picks up the rest, according to a survey of more than 2,000 employers conducted by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research and Educational Trust. In 2009, Obama's first year in office, an average family plan cost $13,375 and the average employee's share was $3,515.

The total average increase during those years was $2,370 -- less than Romney claimed premiums increased each year under Obama. The average hike in the employee's share comes to $801. Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan made a claim similar to Romney's during his debate with Vice President Joe Biden last week.

Health insurance premiums almost doubled from 2002 to 2012 as the cost of health care continues to rise faster than the economy has grown, but has slowed in recent years.

“Premium growth is at historic lows," Maulik Joshi, president of the Health Research and Educational Trust and vice president for research at the American Hospital Association said in a news release when the organizations issued their survey findings last month.

This trend, however, doesn't fulfill a promise Obama made during the 2008 presidential campaign to reduce family health care premiums by $2,500 a year.

-- Jeffrey Young
Libya Comes Up
howardfineman    @ howardfineman : Obama defends his foreign policy record but doesnt directly answer the question. Mitt says great the president does take the blame...

Candy Crowley Corrects Romney
HuffPostMedia    @ HuffPostMedia : Candy Corwley corrects Romney: Obama 'did in fact' call Libya attack 'terror.' Obama: 'can you say that a little louder Candy?'

9:16 PM – Today
Obama Slams 'Offensive' Mitt

"Secretary Clinton has done an extraordinary job, but she works for me. I'm the president, and I'm always responsible," Obama said.

Obama went on to say it was "offensive" for Romney to play politics with the Libya attacks.
9:13 PM – Today
Romney Hits Obama For Fundraising

Romney: "The president, the day after [the Libya attack] happened, flies to Las Vegas for political fundraiser."
9:10 PM – Today
Romney Says He Won't Be Like Bush Because They're 'Different People'

One of the undecided voters at the Hofstra debate wasn't sure she was satisfied with President Barack Obama's four years, but she also blamed the policies of the Bush administration for a lot of America's problems.

So Susan Katz wanted to know Romney wouldn't do the same things.

"What is the biggest difference between you and George W. Bush? What differentiates you from George Bush?" Katz asked.

Romney didn't answer at first, preferring to go back to the previous question, but when he did, he didn't offer Katz much.

"President Bush and I are different people and these are different times," Romney told her, before launching into a long series of talking points that had little to do with the differences between Bush and Romney. Romney said they were things Bush never did, such as cracking down on China or making the U.S. energy independent.

Obama has repeatedly hammered Romney for offering the same sorts of economic policies as the Bush administration, including large tax cuts for the wealthy.

-- Mike McAuliff
Obama Asked About Libya

"I know these folks, and I know there families. So nobody's more concerned about their safety and security than I am," Obama said of his diplomats in Libya.

"We are going to find out who did this, and we are going to hunt them down."

"When folks mess with Americans we go after them."

"That's not how a commander in chief operates. You don't turn national security into a political issue."

"I am ultimately responsible for what's taking place there, because these are my folks, and I'm the one who has to greet those coffins when they come home."
Pension-Off
jonward11    @ jonward11 : Obama strutting a bit as he says, "I don't look at my pension. It's not as big as yours."

9:07 PM – Today
Obama Zings Mitt

Romney: "Mr. Obama, have you looked at your pension?"

Obama: "I don't look at my pension, it's not as big as yours."
9:06 PM – Today
Paved With Good Intentions
ariannahuff    @ ariannahuff : Pols who talk about ending undocumented workers never talk about consequences -- like much higher food prices, etc.

9:06 PM – Today
Romney Denies 'Self-Deportation,' AZ Law Claims

"I did not say that the Arizona law was a model for the nation in that aspect," Romney said.

"Self deportation means let people make there own choice," Romney said. "I'm not in favor of rounding up people and taking them out of this country."
9:02 PM – Today
Obama Replies To Immigration Question

Obama: "We all understand what this country has become because talent from all around the world wants to come here."

"For young people who come here... think of this as their country. Understand themselves as Americans."

Obama went on to hit Romney for his "self-deportation" remarks and support of Arizona's controversial immigration law.
9:02 PM – Today
This Time Isn't Different?
jonward11    @ jonward11 : Reinhart and Rogoff wrote today about how this recession's slow recovery is about same as other systemic crises http://t.co/77EVPhJe

9:00 PM – Today
Romney Talks Immigration

"This is a nation of immigrants," Romney said. "I want our legal system to work better, I want it to be streamlined, want it to be clearer. You shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to get into this country legally... We should give [green cards] to people who graduate with skills that we need."

"We're going to have to stop illegal immigration," Romney continued. "I will not grant amnesty to those who come here illegally."

"I won't put in place magnets for people who come here illegally."
9:00 PM – Today
What Romney Didn't Say About Bush

When a questioner asked Mitt Romney what differentiated him from the last Republican president, George W. Bush -- she said she "feared a return to those policies" should Romney win -- he emphasized Bush's handling of the economy.

What he didn't say, however, is anything about foreign policy, and the two long (and deficit-inducing) wars the Bush administration got the U.S. into in the Arab World. Many people who watch the slowly emerging details of Romney's foreign policy, and the people he has surrounded himself with, wonder if Romney will end up bringing the return of an expansionist, neoconservative approach to the world.

At the American Conservative, Daniel Larison called Romney's foreign policy "Bush 2.0." It's an idea that may not sit so well with some voters. Or, during the town hall, it may have been an oversight.

-- Joshua Hersh
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »

Candy Crowley Fact Checks Mitt Romney On Libya

The Huffington Post  |  By Rebecca Shapiro Posted: 10/16/2012 10:45 pm EDT Updated: 10/16/2012 10:58 pm EDT
Share on Google+
Candy Crowley
Get Media Alerts:
React:
Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird
Follow:
2012 Debates Coverage, 2012 Media Debates Coverage, Candy Crowley, Candy Crowley Debate, Candy Crowley Libya Fact Check, Candy Crowley Mitt Romney, Debates, Mitt Romney Candy Crowley, Mitt Romney Debate, Mitt Romney Libya, Media News

Presidential debate moderator Candy Crowley corrected a testy Mitt Romney after the Republican presidential candidate charged that President Obama failed to call the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi an "act of terror."

More than an hour into the debate, an undecided voter in the town hall forum asked the president about the recent attack in Libya that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three additional Americans.

When Romney responded to the question, Romney charged that it took Obama days to call the Benghazi attack an act of terror. This assertion was incorrect. Obama called the incident an "act of terror" during his remarks on September 12, just one day after the tragedy.

Obama interjected, telling the Republican presidential candidate to "get the transcript" of his remarks. When the governor doubled down on his charge, Crowley corrected him, saying the president "'did in fact' call the attack an act of terror.

"Can you say that a little louder?" Obama asked.

The succinct live factcheck left quite the impression. Twitter exploded with messages praising the CNN host.
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:37 pm »

Romney plopped in his seat, when Candy said he lied!!

Sad when you get fact checked in the middle of a debate like Romney did. After that moment he should have just held his head in shame and went crying into his wife's arms and said "honey, I just blew this debate!"
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:35 pm »

Candy gave no quarter to either guy! Decided to use the facts to determine their fate! Bad news for Republicans! Facts and Republicans don't have an amicable relationship!
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »

Obama: Romney Will Create A 'Mess'

Obama: Mitt Romney Will Create 'Mess' If Elected (VIDEO)

Posted: 10/16/2012 9:47 pm EDT Updated: 10/16/2012 10:23 pm EDT

During the second presidential debate, Barack Obama hit back at Mitt Romney's claim that the president is to blame for high gas prices, saying that Romney would cause a "mess" if elected.

"It's conceivable that Governor Romney can bring down gas prices, because if Governor Romney is elected, we might be back in that same mess," Obama said.

HuffPost's Zach Carter reported on the exchange:

Mitt Romney just attacked President Barack Obama for failing to drill for oil on federal land, indicating that the lack of drilling was responsible for short-term increases in gas prices. That led to a heated back-and-forth between the two candidates.

But drilling has nothing to do with near-term gas prices. Drilling takes years to generate new oil supply, which could potentially drive down gas prices. What's more, new drilling does not necessarily result in lower prices at home -- the global oil market is vast, and the new supply from drilling is distributed worldwide, resulting in a very limited impact on overall gas prices.

A more effective attack on Obama would have been to criticize him for failing to crack down effectively on Wall Street speculation in the oil markets, which many studies, including a recent Federal Reserve study, believe wildly exacerbates swings in energy prices.

Romney and Obama also sparred over coal, with Romney saying he will defend jobs in coal country.

"This has not been Mr. Oil or Mr. Gas or Mr. Coal," Romney said, referring to Obama.

Obama brought up an episode from Romney's tenure as the governor of Massachusetts, in which Romney stood in front of a coal power plant and said, "This plant kills."

"And now suddenly you're a big champion of coal," Obama said.
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »

That Romney would create a 'mess' if elected was a gross understatement by the President. This country might never recover from a Romney presidency.

Obama has totally obliterated Romney in this debate. It wasn't even close. THIS was the Obama I was looking for at the first debate. He finally showed up.

Obama exhibited excellent control of facts, he constantly won the point-counterpoint debate with Romney and, FINALLY, the passion showed up. We've got a passionate, strong willed president, and he finally showed up at the debate.

It is also worth noting that when a woman asked of what either man was ready to do about the gender inequality at the workplace, Obama answered with a great description of his administration's legislative efforts in various women-specific fields, including the Lily Ledbetter Act. Romney, of course, could get nothing better than his search for female advisers for his gubernatorial cabinet. What else was he going to add to it, that he and the GOP were against the Lily Ledbetter Act?

P.S. Was I the only who got creeped out by the "binder full of women"?
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:45 pm »

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:56:52 pm »

OUT OF CONTROL: Romney Tramples Over Debate Moderator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/candy-crowley-mitt-romney-debate_n_1972236.html
Report Spam   Logged

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »

A couple of change-ups on THE REAL PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE:

1) Larry King is going to be the Moderator

http://freeandequal.org/updates/larry-king-to-moderate-third-party-presidential-debate/

2) It's now going to be at the Hilton and tickets are being sold.

http://www.FreeandEqual.com/

Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 06:54:27 pm »

http://www.kickthemallout.com/article.php/ObomneyForPresident

Changeless change !!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:55:28 pm by Volitzer » Report Spam   Logged
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

Wow, I didn't even know that Larry King was still around.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: