Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:44:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Presidential Debate 2012: Barack is Back

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presidential Debate 2012: Barack is Back  (Read 557 times)
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

It's still fairly complicated: for days after the attack, members of the administration had indicated publicly that the incidents were prompted by an obscure anti-Islam videotape, and were not pre-planned. It took almost two weeks before the administration formally acknowledged that the attacks were a planned act of terror. But Obama did use the term "terror" when he spoke the day after the attacks, and Romney seemed to fall into a trap Tuesday night.

The question that prompted the exchange was about whether failures at the State Department had led to the attacks that left Stevens and the three other Americans dead.

On Monday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did a round of interviews in which she said that she took responsibility for the attacks, something that many believed may have been an attempt to take the heat off the president before the debate.

Instead, Obama said it was his burden.

"The Secretary of State has done an extraordinary job but she works for me, but I am the president, and I am responsible," he said.

Then, taking aim at the suggestion by Romney's campaign that the White House had played politics with the incident, he added sharply, "The suggestion that anybody in my team, the secretary of State, the UN Ambassador [Susan Rice] -- anybody on my team -- would play politics or mislead when we lost four people on our team is offensive."

--Michael McAuliff and Joshua Hersh
9:44 PM – Today
Obama Lumps In Romney With Arizona On Immigration: 'I Don't Want To Empower' Racial Profiling

PHOENIX -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday attempted to paint Mitt Romney with the same brush as hardliners in Arizona, asking why he supports laws that could lead to racial profiling and appealing to voters to think of their own children.

"He called the Arizona law a model for the nation," Obama said during the debate at Hofstra University in New York. "Part of the Arizona law said that law enforcement officers could stop folks that they suspected that maybe they looked like they might be undocumented workers and check their papers. And you know what? If my daughter or yours looks to somebody like they're not a citizen, I don't want -- I don't want to empower somebody like that."

At a watch party in Maricopa County, Ariz. -- the home of self-appointed "America's Toughest Sheriff" Joe Arpaio -- his opponent Paul Penzone and a group of 50 or so supporters watched the debate from a barbecue restaurant. Or, rather, they had the debate on while talking to each other and to Penzone, who gave remarks before the debate started. Even during the question on immigration, one of the issues that makes many hope to bring down Arpaio, most continued chatting rather than looking at the TV.

They didn't miss much, at least on immigration. Obama's attack on Romney's support for Arizona immigration law SB 1070, sometimes called the "papers please" law, isn't accurate, although the Republican has praised the spirit of the law by advocating "self-deportation."

Romney pointed out that he said another controversial Arizona immigration law, this one on employment verification, should be a model for the nation, not SB 1070 specifically. His campaign has been mum -- even at one point refusing to answer 20 straight times -- on whether Romney supports SB 1070.

As he's said before, Romney said he isn't in favor of rounding up 12 million people -- whom he called "illegals" -- but implied he was merely stating a fact that if immigrants can't find work or get benefits, they'll leave.

"We're not going to round up 12 million people -- undocumented illegals -- and take them out of the nation. Instead let people make their own choice," he said. "And if they find they can't get the benefits they want and they can't find the job they want, they'll make a decision to go a place where they have better opportunities."

Romney twice brought up Obama's failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform, which the president promised as a candidate in 2008 to bring up in his first year. Obama blamed that failure on opposition from Republicans, saying if people like Romney are leading the party, there won't be much hope of finding common ground on immigration.

"When Governor Romney says the challenge is well, Obama didn't try, that's not true," the president said. "I sat down with Republicans and Democrats at the beginning of my term, and I said, 'Let's fix this system' -- including senators who previously supported it on the Republican side. But it's very hard for Republicans in Congress to support comprehensive immigration reform if their standard bearer has said this is not something i'm interested in supporting."

Even though it was likely the only time during any of the debates that the candidates will discuss immigration, Romney used his last word to switch topics to one he mentioned repeatedly during the debate: China.

Sarah Bufkin contributed reporting.

-- Elise Foley
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: