Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:47:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Emma Stone explains why her Gwen Stacy won’t be having the Green Goblin’s babies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emma Stone explains why her Gwen Stacy won’t be having the Green Goblin’s babies  (Read 416 times)
I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang
Superhero Member

« on: July 12, 2012, 12:41:41 am »

Emma Stone explains why her Gwen Stacy won’t be having the Green Goblin’s babies

Emma Stone brings a whole new style to the Spider-Man movies, with her trademark headbands and thigh-highs. We talked to Stone about her character's possible Electra complex, unlearning love for Peter Parker, and the real-life science that went into this superhero story. Find out why she was studying stem cells during the making of Amazing Spider-Man.

Gwen Stacey is pretty iconic — you said you went through and did some research on her and her story. That was very apparent on screen, where everything down to her iconic thigh highs, her look, and the feel of the character seemed to come right off the comic page. How much of that was your preparation and how much of it were things that you worked on with Webb?

Costumes were done by Kim Barret, who is fantastic. We worked together (kind of) to make sure that Gwen felt like Gwen, but also made sense in the real world. And I'm a lot less voluptuous  than Gwen, unfortunately, so it didn't really go to those heights. But the signature headband, and the thigh-highs and the coats and all of that was important. Right down to the makeup. We really tried to keep her realistic and Earth-bound. And I'm by no means a supermodel or an unattainable looking person, so that element of Gwen was a bit different because she was such a beauty queen in the comic books. I'm more "next door" than she might be. So that, we worked on.

Emma Stone explains why her Gwen Stacy won't be having the Green Goblin's babies In terms of her as a character, [it was] kind of a hodgepodge of different versions of Gwen. I know she's not very hippieish, and I don't think she will ever be birthing Norman Osborn's twins [like in the comics]. I don't think that will be happening, or moving to London. We tried to keep some of that moxie in there, and some of that self-assuredness. She's the daughter of a police chief. She's the oldest daughter and there's that responsibility that kicks in when she thinks that he could die any day. I think it was important that she took on that energy of being in charge of her family. And unwittingly she's drawn to a man who is in the same position, a little Electra [complex] thing going on there.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:43:43 am »

How familiar are you with the science that your character deals with in this movie?

That's a great question because I was homeschooled, and I hadn't really been exposed to things like that. My aunt and uncle were scientists that worked for Merck. They had a hand in creating the cervical cancer vaccine, Gardasil, so they are incredibly intelligent, fantastic minds. I'd always been fascinated by what they did. I myself — this is a little bit strange, but I had really bad acne a couple years ago. It was during a really stressful time period. I started going online, and trying to figure out what causes this kind of thing. And your cortisol production, and how those things change in your body. How things like Accutane work (I didn't do that).

[The studio] took us to these labs and this was the first time in my life that I've really been very angry about not going to college, because I went to these labs and I was fascinated! I knew what they were talking about. We looked at Biophotonics, and what happens with cortisol fires off in your brain and how the same thing that causes acne can cause diabetes. And they're proving that stress has a link. I was learning about regeneration. We were injecting axolotls and seeing how they removed their arms. We looked at stem cells that they wired to beat like a human heart. They are finding ways to do this. I was fascinated!

I asked, "What do I need to do to intern?" You need to be a college graduate. And I was like, "But I know what you're talking about! I can learn!" It made me so upset. It's like joining the Peace Corps, you have to be a college graduate. It sucks! I can learn, I can learn, I swear. So I really got so interested in Biology, that was one of the most exciting parts of this process, learning about medicine and regeneration and stem cells, all of it expanded my mind in so many different ways. Now, I'm going to take a Biology class.

Emma Stone explains why her Gwen Stacy won't be having the Green Goblin's babies This love story felt different it felt young, it felt goofy, it felt sweet? How did you decide to tell this love story between Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker?

In past movies I've done, there hasn't been a love like this. In Superbad with Seth, it's kind of a totally different thing — "Oh, he's cute." And in Easy A it's Woodchuck Todd who is cute, but they're focused on their own stories. This kind of swept me off my feet because she is truly in love with him. I think the approach was, I wanted again to experience that feeling of first love, before you know what it's like to get your heart completely shattered. That life or death love, where you say, "I know what love is!" But in this circumstance, it actually is life or death. I wanted to feel that again. I wanted to unlearn. Go from the very beginning of, "Oh my God, there's an attraction to another human being, in a way I've never felt that way before what is this?" It was a matter of unlearning, and letting yourself be 17 in these moments. It's fun you guys should try it, it's pretty cool, it's pretty cool to feel that way.

Taken from the New York City press conference.

http://io9.com/5921183/emma-stone-on-the-science-behind-spider+man
Report Spam   Logged
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:05 am »

Emma Stone throws her all in role of Gwen Stacy in 'Spider-Man'
  Jaimie Trueblood

Emma Stone brings Peter Parker’s first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, to life in “The Amazing Spider-Man.”
More about Emma Stone
‘Spider-Man’ story saved by charismatic leading couple
Thursday gossip roundup: Emma Stone and boyfriend Andrew Garfield moved in together
How Emma Stone got her red-carpet body
The Word: Simon Cowell likes to shoot up (vitamins, that is)

HEIDI PATALANO
NEW YORK
Published: July 10, 2012 5:09 p.m.
Last modified: July 10, 2012 5:13 p.m.
Be the first to comment
Print article
                  Text size
Emma Stone has quickly become one of the most in-demand actresses in Hollywood. Since her breakout role in "Superbad" in 2007, she's not only racked up a number of lead roles, such as in "The Help" and "Easy A," but she's also been nominated for a slew of awards for her work. Today, she sits atop a major comic book franchise with Andrew Garfield in the reboot of "The Amazing Spider-Man."

Stone remains focused on her career, expressly stating that she won't talk politics. However, a new contract she's signed with Revlon does give her the opportunity to say something about beauty, even if she seems quite unaware of her own appeal.

"I thought why in the world would I be approached for a beauty campaign, because I had always been the funny girl. That's not to put myself down; that was always the way that my brain worked," she says. "Then I thought about Diane Keaton for L'Oreal and Ellen DeGeneres for Cover Girl, and how sometimes real beauty gets to be celebrated. If I have an opportunity to possibly reach young girls to make them feel like what they are is enough ... then that's a game-changer."

Stone and Garfield themselves may be re-writing the rules when it comes to the Spider-Man franchise, which audiences had last seen in 2007 with the third installment, starring Tobey Maguire as Spidey and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson. In this iteration, helmed by "500 Days of Summer" director Marc Webb, Stone plays Peter Parker's first love, Gwen Stacy. With Garfield and Stone romantically involved offscreen, the intense connection they have in front of the camera is that much more believable, as the actress herself hints. 

"This kind of swept me off of my feet because she is truly in love with him," Stone says of her and Garfield's characters. "I wanted to experience that feeling of first love before you know what it's like to get your heart completely shattered --that life-or-death love. It's a matter of un-learning, and becoming 17 again, and letting yourself be 17 in this moment. It's fun, you guys should try it; it's pretty cool to feel that way again."

Peter's (old) new love

Red-headed Mary Jane Watson is Peter Parker's most famous girlfriend -- but Gwen Stacy was the true heartbreaker.

Comic book experts note that her storyline in the "Spider-Man" series was so divisive that it served to end the "Silver Age" of comic books. In the film, she's a classmate of Peter's and her father is a police captain (played by Denis Leary). Stone didn't know about the character of Gwen until she was asked to audition for the role. "I just fell in love with Gwen's story because it's just so incredibly epic and tragic," she says. "Obviously I'm a lot less voluptuous than Gwen, unfortunately. ... I'm by no means a supermodel or an unattainable-looking person, so that element of Gwen was a bit different in some ways."
http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/article/1147339--emma-stone-throws-her-all-in-role-of-gwen-stacy-in-spider-man

Report Spam   Logged
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:56:47 am »

Thursday gossip roundup: Emma Stone and boyfriend Andrew Garfield moved in together
  Christopher Peterson/BuzzFoto/FilmMagic

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone sighted in Soho on April 1, 2012 in New York City.
More about Emma Stone
Emma Stone throws her all in role of Gwen Stacy in 'Spider-Man'
‘Spider-Man’ story saved by charismatic leading couple
How Emma Stone got her red-carpet body
The Word: Simon Cowell likes to shoot up (vitamins, that is)
METRO WORLD NEWS
HOLLYWOOD
Published: April 05, 2012 11:32 a.m.
Last modified: April 05, 2012 12:45 p.m.

More Sharing Servicesmore

Email    Email
Be the first to comment
Print article
                  Text size
Jeremy Renner is sick and tired of people asking if he's gay. "I want my personal life to be personal, and it's not f---ing true. And I don't care if you're talking about things that are true, you're still talking about my personal life," Renner tells the Hollywood Reporter. "How about I go peek in your window, take what underwear you wore last night, whose husband you were f---ing, and show that in the megaphone throughout your neighborhood? How does that feel?"

On the heels of their first red-carpet appearance as a couple comes news that Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield have reportedly moved in together, according to Life & Style. "They have a really nice apartment," a source says of the New York City digs. "They're in a good place, both of them are very nice people, very down-to-earth and caring. They're just two cool people." And how serious are they about their new home? They even enlisted an interior decorator. "They wanted a subtle, understated look that was comfortable," the source says.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/article/1139427--thursday-gossip-roundup-emma-stone-and-boyfriend-andrew-garfield-moved-in-together
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: