Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 06:48:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

D I A M O N D S

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D I A M O N D S  (Read 5622 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:38 am »

Diamond Mine

Crater of Diamonds State Park is the only diamond-producing site in the world where the public can search for diamonds. And the policy here is “finder’s keepers.” The diamonds you find are yours to keep.

Visitors search atop a 37-acre plowed field, the eroded surface of an ancient, gem-bearing volcanic pipe. Prospectors enter the field through the visitor center that offers exhibits and an A/V program explaining the area’s geology and history. Park staff provides free identification and certification of diamonds.

The first diamond was found here in 1906 by John Huddleston, the farmer who owned the property. The Crater of Diamonds has changed hands several times over the years and several unsuccessful attempts have been made at commercial mining. All such ventures are shrouded in mystery, and lawsuits, lack of money and fires are among the reasons suspected for these failures. The mine was operated privately, and later as a tourist attraction, from 1952 to 1972. In 1972, the State of Arkansas purchased the Crater of Diamonds for development as a state park. The park is open year-round except for New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Pets are allowed at all facilities with the exception of the Diamond Springs Water Park and Kimberlite Cafe', as long as they remain on a leash under the owner's control at all times.

The park features a 37-acre field of diamond bearing soil plowed periodically when weather allows. These plowings are unscheduled. Historical structures, old mining equipment, washing pavilions, and sun shelters are located on the field. Diamond mining tools are available for rent or purchase. Diamonds and other minerals are identified at the Diamond Discovery Center.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:27:16 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: