Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:49:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Before and After

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before and After  (Read 307 times)
foreverandon

« on: August 28, 2007, 07:19:03 am »

Do you ever take a momment and think "How would it be today if it was like it 1000 years ago. How would we eat? Would we eat the same or would we be hunting for our food? alot of people dont think like that and how good we have it today.

1000 years ago people had to hunt for their food it was all about surrvival. you had make your own homes. Now we work, now we buy stuff that others had made we dont do anything close to what they did 1000 years ago. what do you say do you agree? or disagree?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jake

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:33:28 pm »

alot of people dont think like that and how good we have it today.

I feel just the opposite.

How many people today can hunt for food?
How many people today can grow food (without equipment or chemicals)?
How many people today could even start to build their own home?

I don't think we have it good at all today.
Most people could not survive one week without McDonalds, prime time TV, or central air.

One must think, how many world changing ideas have happened in "modern" times. Not many.
I am not talking about microwave ovens, television sets, transatlantic flights, or computers. I am talking about ideas like the Sun being the center of our galaxy, or any of the algebraic theorems. Things that truly changed mankind. The vast majority of these things were done when you still had to hunt if you wanted meat.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:30:29 am »

In the Year 1000

China
In what is today China, the Song Dynasty remained the world's most populous empire and continued to thrive under Emperor Zhenzong of Song China. By the late 11th century, the Song Dynasty had a total population of some 101 million people, an average annual iron output of 125,000 tons produced a year, and bolstered its enormous economy with the world's first known paper-printed money

Europe
Speculation that the world would end in the year 1000 was confined largely to Christian monks in France, as most clerks at the time used regnal years — i.e. the fourth year of the reign of Robert II of France, etc. The use of the Dionysian "anno domini" calendar era was confined to the Venerable Bede and other chroniclers of universal history.

Western Europe began to cross over from the Early Middle Ages into the High Middle Ages beginning around 1000, as marked by numerous distinct changes in Western European life: the rise of the medieval communes, the reawakening of widespread city life, the appearance of the burgher class, the revival of long-distance trade that reconnected Europe with the Mediterranean world, the founding of the first European universities, the rediscovery of Roman law, and the beginnings of vernacular literature, to name a few. The papacy at this time remained firmly under the control of Holy Roman Emperor Otto III — the self-proclaimed "Emperor of the World".

In Eastern Europe, the Byzantine Empire continued to thrive during its Golden Age in what is today primarily Greece and Turkey. Constantinople, with a population of about 300,000, dwarfed the Western cities of Rome and Paris, which at this time had populations of about 35,000 and 20,000, respectively.

The Viking Age continued in eastern and western Europe much as it had for the previous two centuries, with Viking trade, raids, and culture influencing much of European life. It was in the year 1000 that Leif Ericsson landed in what is today Newfoundland, naming it Vinland.

Islamic world
The Islamic world was experiencing a Golden Age around the year 1000 and continued to flourish under the Arab Empire (including the Ummayad, Abbasid and Fatimid caliphates), which included what is now the Middle East, North Africa, Central Asia and Iberian Peninsula. By 1000, Muslim traders and explorers had established a global economy across the Old World leading to a Muslim Agricultural Revolution, establishing the Arab Empire as the world's leading extensive economic power.

The scientific achievements of the Islamic civilization also reaches its zenith during this time, with the emergence of the first experimental scientists and the scientific method, which would form the basis of modern science.

Most of the leading scientists around the year 1000 were Muslim scientists, including Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen), Abu Rayhan al-Biruni, Avicenna, Abu al-Qasim (Abulcasis), Ibn Yunus, Abu Sahl al-Quhi (Kuhi), Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi, Abu Nasr Mansur, Abu al-Wafa, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, Al-Muqaddasi, Ali Ibn Isa, and al-Karaji (al-Karkhi), among others.

In particular, Ibn al-Haytham, Avicenna, Abu Rayhan al-Biruni, and Abu al-Qasim, who all flourished around the year 1000, are considered among the greatest scientists in history.

Chandal Dynasty

Africa
The Hutu arrive in present-day Rwanda and Burundi, soon outnumbering the native Twa.

Americas
Leif Ericson lands in North America, calling it Vinland.
Time of Troubles ends.
Incas are one of many small groups fighting for land and water (approximate date).

Asia
Dhaka, Bangladesh, is founded.

Europe

Europe in 1000 September 9 — Battle of Svolder, Notable naval battle of the Viking Age.
December 25 — The foundation of the Hungarian state, Hungary is established as a Christian kingdom by Stephen I of Hungary.
Stephen I becomes King of Hungary.
Sancho III of Navarre becomes King of Aragon, Navarre.
Sweyn I establishes Danish control over part of Norway.
Oslo, Norway is founded. (The exact year is debatable, but the 1000 year anniversary was held in year 2000.)
Emperor Otto III makes pilgrimage from Rome to Aachen and Gniezno (Gnesen), stopping at Regensburg, Meissen, Magdeburg, and Gniezno. Congress of Gniezno (with Boleslaw I Chrobry) was part of pilgrimage. In Rome, he builds the basilica of San Bartolomeo all'Isola, to host the relics of St. Bartholomew.
Château de Goulaine vineyard founded in France.

The Coronation of Charlemagne by Fredrich Kaulbach

By Topic

Religion
Islamic world expands.
Scandinavia and Hungary Christianized.
The Diocese of Kolobrzeg is founded.
The archdiocese in Gniezno is founded; the first archibishop is Gaudentius, from Slavník's dynasty.

Science and Technology
Scientific achievements in the Islamic civilization reaches its zenith, with the emergence of the first experimental scientists and the scientific method, which would form the basis of modern science.
Iraqi Muslim polymath and scientist, Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen), who is considered the father of optics, the pioneer of the scientific method, and the "first scientist", moves to Egypt, where he invents the camera obscura, and writes his influential Book of Optics, which introduces the scientific method, and drastically transforms the understanding of light, optics, vision, and science in general.
Persian Muslim polymath and scientist, Abu Rayhan al-Biruni, who is considered the father of geodesy and the "first anthropologist", writes books on many different topics, and rejects many theories which cannot be verified through experimentation.
Persian Muslim scientist and physician, Avicenna, who is considered the father of momentum, publishes The Canon of Medicine, an influential book which maintains that medicine should be known through either experimentation or reasoning. He also publishes The Book of Healing, where he hypothesizes two causes of mountains: "Either they are the effects of upheavals of the crust of the earth, or they are the effect of water, which, cutting itself a new route, has denuded the valleys."
Arab Andalusian Muslim physician, Abu al-Qasim (Abulcasis), the "father of modern surgery", publishes his influential 30-volume medical encyclopedia, the Al-Tasrif, which remains a standard textbook in the Islamic world and medieval Europe for centuries.
Arab Egyptian Muslim mathematician and astronomer, Ibn Yunus, publishes his astronomical treatise Al-Zij al-Hakimi al-Kabir, and invents the pendulum.
Persian Muslim physicist and mathematician, Abu Sahl al-Quhi (Kuhi), discovers that the heaviness of bodies vary with their distance from the center of the Earth, and solves equations higher than the second degree.
Persian Muslim astronomer and mathematician, Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi, invents the sextant and first states a special case of Fermat's last theorem.
Law of sines is discovered by Muslim mathematicians, but it is uncertain who discovers it first between Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi, Abu Nasr Mansur, and Abu al-Wafa.
Bell foundry is founded in Italy by Fonderia Pontificia Marinelli
Gunpowder is invented in China.

World Population
World population: 310,000,000.

Births
Adalbert, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1048)
Qawam al-Daula, ruler of Kerman (d. 1028)
Ibn Rashiq, Arab rhetorician (d. 1070 ?)

Deaths
September 9 — Olaf I of Norway, killed at the Battle of Svold (b. 969).
Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi, Persian astronomer and mathematician.
Abu Sahl al-Quhi (Kuhi), Persian physicist, mathematician and astronomer.
Ahmad ibn Fadlan, Arab writer and traveller.
Al-Muqaddasi, Arab geographer and social scientist.
Elfrida, second wife of Edgar of England.
Garcia IV of Pamplona.
Tlilcoatzin, Toltec ruler (approximate date).
Topiltzin, Toltec ruler.
David III of Tao, murdered by his nobles.
Huyan Zan, Chinese general.
Hrosvit, Saxon nun.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:31:33 am by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:29:27 am »

alot of people dont think like that and how good we have it today.

I feel just the opposite.

How many people today can hunt for food?
How many people today can grow food (without equipment or chemicals)?
How many people today could even start to build their own home?

I don't think we have it good at all today.
Most people could not survive one week without McDonalds, prime time TV, or central air.

One must think, how many world changing ideas have happened in "modern" times. Not many.
I am not talking about microwave ovens, television sets, transatlantic flights, or computers. I am talking about ideas like the Sun being the center of our galaxy, or any of the algebraic theorems. Things that truly changed mankind. The vast majority of these things were done when you still had to hunt if you wanted meat.

Jake

Very deep Jake....

I guess the logical explanation of what has/is happening started with what we thought would make our lives easy.
The exchange of gold, then currency spurred this on even more and before long we only complicated our lives even more. Now that this entire global system seems to be on a downward spiral, we may have no choice but to go back to square one.

It is funny that you mentioned the fact that people today could not survive without all these modern ways.
I for one am a hunter, and builder with a green thumb. You should see my tomatos.  Wink
Financially, I have what it takes to be like everyone else, and have chosen to keep it simple. As a result of this.
I'm considered poverty by the national standard, however I'm very wealthy when I think of all the other ways I've learned to survive this oppression. I once lived in a small town called Corry. It was mostly dominated by the Omish.
I have worked on omish farms and learned wood working from them. In exchange, they gave me things like meals and warm hand made blankets. I loved being rewarded with food though.

If my wife wasn't so caught up in materialism like the rest of the world, I would be raising my family the way I learned to survive. I have never been afraid of losing things like money or merchandice. Just let me take what I need from the land, and I will leave the rest just as I found it.

Now if there was a way to connect the ways of old and new without it being driven by greed or power of control, then I would be all ears.

Coming back to Erie, PA was probably my biggest mistake ever. Life is simpler when your not worried about keeping up with the times.  Smiley
Not to mention, you do eat alot better. I don't know if any of you out there have ever had friends from other countries, but if you do. Accept an invitation to dinner sometime. Bosnians, make some of the best home-made dishes ever. Pita, Kabobs, lamb over an open fire, soups.. For deserts, Russians and Germans seem to have that down to a science.
For home-made bread, Albanians.....
All of which are made old-world style.

The point remains the same. Things were made or done better back when the world was simple.
The example of this comes from those eras, just before America became a nation.
Let's look at that more closely to see where the world went wrong.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:56:28 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Jake

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:01:25 am »

Unfortunately, Herefornow, I can only think of two other people (in my circle of life) that even have the skills to live as you have written.

I believe that we are a dying breed.

Materialism will be our undoing.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:55:54 pm »

Dying breed? Hardly! We are the living breed that can make it without all these things and it's something that we may have to teach others someday. I would like to think of myself as a bridge that spans the gap between generations. I know I've said this before but I'm 18 and 50 wrapped up in one. I grew up really fast to support my mother and sibblings back in the early 80's. After my brother moved out and my Mom got remarried, I got my sister ready for the world. Left home back in 87, and never went back. In a sence, I raised myself to become the man I am now.

Armed with only my sences and knowledge, I am capable of doing practically everything I set my mind to doing.
I've lived a full life of many adventures, beleive me.  Smiley
When I talk to those younger then myself, I teach by example. When I have actually taught those older then myself about something they didn't know, I taught it through experience. In a sence I get a kick out of teaching my older friends anything, however I'm more touch when those younger come to me with a question or seeking advice.

Remember my friend, we must teach others or our ways will be lost forever. In doing so, we build bonds that last a lifetime. If you can't get through to them with a few sentences, show them.
 Wink

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:32:13 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »

Jake, you are a very misterious figure and I'm curious to know what you professional title in life is.
I say this because I will think for a moment that I have your personality pegged and then suddenly you'll throw an unexpected curve ball.
I'm guessing your a doctor, however you are an educator from what I've gotten out of the things you've written.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:25:36 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Jake

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:23 am »

“All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.”
                                         -Aristotle-

Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:15:37 pm »

Darn right, Jake, that's why they call it "work."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up