Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 01:24:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Supreme Court Rules Affordable Care Act Constitutional

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules Affordable Care Act Constitutional  (Read 335 times)
Catwoman
Superhero Member

« on: June 29, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

On Affordable Care Act Ruling, HuffPost Reader Rejoices: 'Thank God! My Son Has A Future'

By Lucia Graves Posted: 06/29/2012 3:17 pm Updated: 06/29/2012 3:41 pm

Barack Obama

When Jackie Davis' son, now 25, was first diagnosed with juvenile diabetes ten years ago, Blue Cross Blue Shield told her he would be uninsurable. For a school librarian and single parent, paying full price for his insulin and medical supplies under Nebraska's high-risk plan would have wiped out Davis' meager savings several times over.

In an email to The Huffington Post with the subject line "Thank God!" Davis said that because of the Affordable Care Act, her son has a future. "I have had health insurance all of my life and he has been insured since he was born in 1987," she wrote. "But ten years ago, he developed Juvenile Diabetes (Type 1, which means he is dependent upon insulin to live)."

His condition, which was triggered by a severe bout of influenza, was made worse by a health care system that denied him coverage after the age of 26. The Supreme Court's ruling on Thursday, however, means he'll be able to afford his medicine even after he is too old to qualify under his mother's health plan. The ruling will also make it easier for him to find a job.

"In addition, there is now a better chance that he will be employable," wrote Davis. "I was employed in human resources throughout the 1980s, and am very aware of the fact that pre-employment physicals are to weed out individuals with expensive medical conditions. If all are now eligible for insurance, regardless of pre-existing conditions, it would follow that these discriminatory hiring practices will also abate."

HuffPost invited readers to write in with reactions to the Supreme Court's health care ruling on Thursday. Read more of their responses below and at Off The Bus, our open source reporting project. If you have a story about how the court's decision will affect your family, tell us: offthebus@huffingtonpost.com (include your phone number if you are willing to be interviewed).

I want to tell you my story. I am not only a healthcare professional but also a patient. When I was in college a horrible incident occurred: a man who had long had an obsession with me attacked me. The incident left me in an intensive-care unit in a coma for several weeks. The fallout of this was a seizure disorder due to my brain injury. I could no longer attend medical school because I could not stand the long hours needed for internship and residency, so I became a nurse instead.

A few years ago I started suffering upwards of 30 to 50 mini seizures a day. Because I was already on very high doses of two anti-seizure drugs, my neurologist recommended a vagal nerve stimulator to prevent seizures. This of course is expensive so my insurance did not want to pay the cost. Never mind that I could not drive and was in jeopardy of losing my job. I was required to jump through many hoops, including a psychiatric evaluation, even though my primary neurologist had stated this was unnecessary. Of course the insurance denied the requests.

Fortunately because I am a nurse I know much more than the average patient. I knew I could appeal the decision and request an independent physician review my records. This was done and my implant was approved. However, with a cost: as I have worked at the same company, and because the procedure was so incredibly expensive, I was coming close to meeting my lifetime cap. This scared me more than you know. Now I do not have to worry about this. I will be forever grateful for this.

-- Lisa C. Hendricks
    West Jordan, Utah

I work for an insurance company, so this may surprise you, but I am as relieved as I can be that the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare.

I have a great job with good healthcare benefits, but my husband has had cancer three times. I have two sons with ADHD and asthma. I have had three surgeries. If something ever happened to me or to my job, my family would never qualify for benefits. I know this because I work for a company that offers individual policies -- one of a very few companies that does.

From a work perspective, I am also happy. The insurance companies are about to have approximately 30 million new enrollees to fight over. The process will be profitable and, no matter what the conservatives say, we will make it work. Ultimately, in a few years, everyone will agree this was the right decision and that the law is basically good for most.

-- Christine Wetzel

Obamacare will allow me and my family and friends to go to a doctor for a medical exam regularly and for care when needed. Without Obamacare, there is no way we can get medical care. We are not old enough for Medicare. We are not poor enough to get the care given to the very poor. We are not disabled, so we can't get the care some disabled get free. We do not make enough money to be able to afford buying medical insurance. I am self-employed and I cannot afford to buy insurance. Some of my friends do not work for companies that currently offer it, or do not work sufficient hours to be eligible for employment-based medical benefits.

Now we can all get health care. It will prevent lots of health problems by finding them before they become emergencies. Examples include: pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, allergies, cholesterol problems, and tumors. These are things that, if caught early can result in preventative medical intervention to prevent potentially life threatening situations.

It will prevent us from losing everything we own to pay for medical care and going bankrupt. It will result in happier lives to have whatever we have going on medically taken care of instead of just ignoring it all until it becomes an emergency. I am excited about it!

-- Toby Cantine
    West Linn, Oregon

1. My granddaughter will finally have coverage, likely under low-income family Medicaid.

2. My younger daughter (age 26), who [has Type 1 diabetes], is insured under COBRA for $509 a month. COBRA runs out in 2 years and 9 months. Her medications run about $1,000 a month. Private insurance for her is either unavailable, or the waiting period for a pre-existing condition is at least six months, or it's a junk policy with ridiculous co-pays and deductibles. With the Affordable Care Act, it will be easier for her to find insurance when the COBRA runs out. Without her prescriptions, she's dead.

So long as members of Congress remain addicted to shaking down campaign contributions from the insurance industry, medical professionals, hospitals, drug companies, and others in the "sick" care industry, reform of the kind that is needed (single payer) won't happen.

-- John Martin Strate

I am among the uninsured, long-term unemployed in Colorado. I am a single adult without dependent children who has been denied public assistance, including Medical insurance via Medicaid or other insurance programs, simply because I have no minor children.

I was very excited by the provisions to expand Medicaid through the Affordable Care Act, but after yesterday's ruling I have mixed emotions because the only part of the bill that would have helped me -- assuming I have no "real" job and therefore no employer-sponsored health plan in 2014 -- was not upheld. The Medicaid expansion program is essentially now an optional program that each individual state may choose to participate in or decline. Given GOP obstructionism and their outrage over anything contained in the ACA, I would expect it to be a battle that many states and their Republican governors may decline to participate in simply on an ideological basis, just as some have done with federally-funded unemployment insurance programs.

The Medicaid expansion is now "optional" for the states -- in other words, legislators (and governors) in each state will decide whether or not to accept the federal money and expand their Medicaid programs to people such as myself, and millions of other unemployed Americans who are denied assistance, including healthcare coverage via Medicaid or other insurance programs.

I do believe, however, that the ACA provisions that will allow people with pre-existing conditions to benefit -- albeit 1.5 years from now, when the pre-existing conditions provisions are fully enacted in 2014.

-- Kelly Wiedemer

You asked how this would affect me. In my situation it will have somewhat of a negative impact and even though it may, I think this is great and surprising all at the same time. However I fear that some middle-income families will find themselves on the fence. I'm not sure what the qualifying factor is for those of us that can't afford the premium -- I'm on Social Security Disability insurance and I can't afford that version of healthcare. I qualify for my wife's work insurance plan that covers nothing with high deductibles. But given the sinking economy in Arizona, I can't afford this plan either. I'm on a fixed income with two children and four adults living in my home. Two of the adults have mental health issues that prevent them from working. One was working but thanks to his issues and a sinking economy, he lost his job.

Allowing children coverage under their parents' plans until the age of 26 helps those of us with the mental health issues that run amok in my family. Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act doesn't address people with mental health issues that can't fend for themselves after the age of 26. I'd like to see that age limit increase.

I'm also raising my grandchildren and wonder how this will affect them. They see a psychiatrist every three months and a therapist once a week. I've lost forty pounds not because I'm on a diet, but because I can't afford the price of food any longer. My grandchildren eat first.

-- Mark Mason
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »

Wait till they start enforcing the eugenic policies....

Just you wait.
Report Spam   Logged
Cassandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »

Sure, Volitzer!  When you think about it, there is kind of eugenics policy in place, namely that people who can't afford to go to the doctor now, don't and die, while this now gives them health insurance so they can go to the doctor!
Report Spam   Logged
Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »

More Than a Victory, the Decision Today Was a Mandate for Us to Act ...an end zone dance from Michael Moore

Thursday, June 28th, 2012

Dear Friends,

Even though it's been a few hours now, I'm guessing you're still pinching yourself to make sure you're not dreaming. But yes, it happened. At 10:07 this morning, the conservative Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, John Roberts, not only joined with the liberal justices to completely uphold almost every single part of the Obama health care law, he wrote the majority opinion himself! In fact, he went even further. When he realized that the government had poorly made its constitutional case to the court, he went searching for a clause in their argument and the constitution that would give him the justification he needed to back the administration and to insure that his decision would hold up legally. In other words, even though he is on the opposite side of the political fence, he wrote the Dems' paper for them. Stunning.

The other four justices? They didn't just vote to overturn the individual mandate part of the law, they all voted to kill the entire Act.

The media is already spending much time talking about the mandate being the "centerpiece of the law," but the real news is that if you ever have a pre-existing condition, you cannot now be denied insurance. If you are a young adult without health insurance, you can now stay on your parents' plan until age 26. The insurance company can no longer say there is a lifetime cap to your coverage. The insurance companies are now required to spend 85 cents out of every dollar they take in on actual reimbursement for your health care – not on profit or "administrative costs" (some companies have been taking over a 30% cut; Medicare's total percentage of their budget for administrative costs: 2%).

I know that our side is not used to victories and so we're not quite sure how to respond when we get one out of the blue. For some of us, the first inclination is to point out just how weak the Obama law actually is, that it doesn't provide true universal health care (26 million will STILL be uninsured), and that it leaves control of the system in the hands of the vultures, otherwise known as the health insurance companies. The individual mandate was a huge gift to the private insurance companies, guaranteeing them billions more from millions of new customers. And many of the key provisions of this law don't even take effect until 2014 – and if the Republicans win in November, you can kiss all of that goodbye.

So, yes, the bill is highly flawed and somewhat wrong-headed – but what it IS is a huge step in the right direction. And today's court decision cements that. The right wing knows this and they are probably unraveling in some not-so-pretty ways right now. And that's why today is a great day. The Right has been smacked down by one of their own! They know what we all know — that the path of history has been, and will continue to move toward the basic human right that all people are entitled to see a doctor and NOT have to worry about losing their home because they can't afford to pay the medical bills. Those days are over, or will be soon, and that is where civilization is headed. It's not headed back to the days of Oliver Twist. Today's victory is momentum, it's forward motion, and we WILL have true universal health care in this country in the not too distant future.

So take some time tonight to celebrate; this is a victory for the people. Actually, more than a victory, it is a mandate that all of us must now make sure that a second-term Obama continues to move the ball down the field, toward a system like they have in every other First World country on the planet. He simply has to improve Medicare and then expand it to every citizen in the country. The countries that do this, their people live an average of two to four years longer than we do. Is there a reason anyone doesn't want an extra four years of their lives? Or that our babies would have a better chance of surviving their first year like they do in the 48 countries that have a better infant mortality rate than we do? Exactly who is opposed to this? You'd have to be a bit…crazy.

And that, I've come to believe, is the true divide in this country. It's not blue state vs red state, liberal vs conservative, Democrat vs Republican. The split we have in America can be boiled down in its simplest form to this: On one side are the people who believe Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs 6,000 years ago – and then there's everyone else. On that first side are the people who've been fed a diet of fear and lies and hate. And who is feeding them? The 1%. The richest people in the country, the ones who aren't done with us yet because they still don't have enough wealth, have done their best to dumb down the population through destroying our educational system and using media to provide them with a vastly distorted sense of reality. The rich's only obstacle is that they only hold 1% of the votes in the country. So they have to try to get a slim majority of Americans to vote their way. And fear, plus keeping them stupid, usually works.

So that's the battle ahead of us: Organizing and mobilizing the majority of Americans to push for true universal health care, Medicare for All. At one time, back in Illinois, that was the position held by Barack Obama. He will not make this happen on his own. He will only be able to do it when the mass of American people rise up and demand it. Demand it. Why not start tonight?

Five years ago this week, my health care documentary, Sicko, opened in theaters across the country. I have spent the better part of the decade on this issue, and for me, personally, fully aware of the current law's limitations, I am very happy with today's news – not because of its specifics or nuances, but because it is a road sign, and that sign points in the correct, humane and sane direction. THAT makes this a great day.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@MichaelMoore.com
@MMFlint
MichaelMoore.com

P.S. I will appear on Lawrence O'Donnell's show tonight to discuss this issue – 10:00 pm ET/7:00 PT (replay 1:00 AM ET/10:00 PM PT) on MSNBC.

P.P.S. To learn more and get involved in the campaign for real universal health care – to complete the job that's been started – get in touch with National Nurses United and Physicians for a National Health Program.

Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

Well the Supreme Court is wrong.

The President must be a natural born US Citizen to even make a law valid.  Xenocrats can't pass laws.

That and the Federal Government has no authority, even under the commerce clause, to force anybody to buy anything.  This power is delegated to the states.

We have 50 States, hopefully the Judicial Branches in these states will figure all this out and stop this unlawful, un-constitutional, Globalist-driven legislation.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »

I disagree, Volitzer.  The Supreme Court ruled correctly on affordable health care.

They are the final authority. 

Case closed!
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »

You just want a job in the Obama administration and Krista wants to be the new Obama-girl now that old one has woken up to the realities of Obama.

Remember Hitler made everything legal he did too.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »

Is that all you can come up with to defend your position??? Wow!
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

You just want a job in the Obama administration and Krista wants to be the new Obama-girl now that old one has woken up to the realities of Obama.

Remember Hitler made everything legal he did too.

No, Krista just realizes that Obama wants to do things for AVERAGE people in this country while all the bozos you support just want to help the millionaires!

Oh, and Obama is Hitler cause he wants to let people go the doctor..? Man are you dense!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: