Atlantis Online
September 21, 2019, 06:34:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

H.R. 471 the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act (SOAR)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.R. 471 the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act (SOAR)  (Read 242 times)
Lugus

« on: April 10, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »

I apologize to any I may have offended if I came across as being overly sarcastic. 
But, please do not offer any conjecture on my sympathies or experiences.

You wrote, “The more money that goes to vouchers means the less money going to public schools.”  As mentioned in my original post, the D.C. public schools are saving at least $16,000 for each student that uses a voucher. 

In reality, the voucher program costs D.C. government nothing.  The whole point of the bill was that the U.S. government was going to pay for the bill.  Thus, the voucher program means that there is more money per public school student.

You wrote, “Rich conservatives could care less about public schools because the idea down is to get vouchers from the government to pay the hefty price tag to send their kids to rich private schools.”  I hardly know what to say.  The whole point of the D.C. voucher program was to help students who cannot afford to attend private schools.  I don’t know how it handled in other American cities but in D.C. there was a voucher lottery due to the large number of applicants.

Also, just to let you know, who was eligible:
Priority and Eligibility of DC OSP Recipients.
•   The SOAR Act is only available to students from low-income families and gives a preference to siblings of current scholarship recipients.
•   An eligible DC OSP student must be a student who is a resident of the District of Columbia and comes from a household that receives assistance under the supplemental nutrition assistance program or whose income does not exceed 185 percent of the federal poverty line.
•   Some DC OSP recipients lost their scholarships when their parents’ economic situation modestly improved. To ensure there is no disincentive to accept job promotions or get married, the household income limit would be increased to 300 percent of the federal poverty for students already participating in the DC OSP.
http://www.speaker.gov/UploadedFiles/SOAR_Act_Summary.pdf

As you see from the above, the D.C. voucher program was “only available to students from low-income families….”

I am still hoping that some readers would realize that the voting on this bill illustrates how misinformed many of us are on the goals as well as the political strategies and agendas of our elected officials – particularly, the Liberal/Progressive politicians. 

You also mentioned the alleged racism of Tea Party.  I don’t how many (if any) people in the Tea Party are racist.  However, I suspect that your belief that there are racists within the movement is due to their opposition to President Obama because he is black.  If the Tea Party disliked the president because he is black, then we could reasonably expect that the Tea Party would be against all black candidates.  However, that is not the case.

Herman Cain had a few comments about Tea Party racism.  “Tea Party favorite Herman Cain: Racism 'doesn't exist in the movement' ”
http://am.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/12/tea-party-favorite-herman-cain-racism-doesnt-exist-in-the-movement/

BTW –
I do not consider myself to be a conservative.
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,30424.0.html
Feel free to take the quiz and post your results.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:14:24 am by Lugus » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: