Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:23:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Dark Ages

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Dark Ages  (Read 1988 times)
Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:31 pm »

That was a very well thought out response, Shawnadithit, and one in keeping with the view some scholars are revisiting with today.  I suppose, when it's all said and done, one person's Dark Age is another's age of Enlightenment. To all the people that hated Rome and suffered under it, no doubt the period when Rome thrived could also be termed, a Dark Age, or an Age of Opression.

In yet, in the 600 years or so after Rome fell, short of the Consolidation that you speak of, what did Europe really accomplish?

There was one war after another, lines of kings rose, one after another, and, rather than accumulate knowledge, people did their best to tear the old knowledge that they accumulated down - witness, the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, also during the Dark Age.

Mankind fell back in terms of what it did know. A good comparison can be when all the colonies the Europeans held in Africa were finally freed, and they took their first. often bloody steps to freedom and self-determination.  Every child has to make mistakes as it grows.

So, even though I see your point, I actually do still think of this time as a Dark Age.

SG
Report Spam   Logged

"Often the test of courage is not to die but to live." — Vittorio Alfieri

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: