Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:14:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Archaeologists uncover medieval defences on grounds of historic castle

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archaeologists uncover medieval defences on grounds of historic castle  (Read 221 times)
Dragonkiller
Superhero Member

« on: May 06, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »

Scotland
Archaeologists uncover medieval defences on grounds of historic castle
STV 4 May 2012 16:23 BST
Tweet

Archaeologists have made a surprising discovery on the grounds of an Aberdeenshire castle.

Experts excavating at Fyvie Castle, near Turriff, expected to uncover a 400-year-old garden.

Instead they have discovered what they believe to be an 800-year-old defence system which they believe will help them learn more about the castle's history.

Archaeologist Alison Cameron said: "Initially when I was digging down one of these post holes I found a huge piece of 13th century pottery which I knew hadn't been moved around a lot, so I was thinking there was probably some structure underneath.

"It's potentially very significant. If it was possible to uncover more post holes and find out more about this structure it would be one of the only excavations which has taken place in Scotland of 13th century defences of a castle."

Shannon Fraser, of the National Trust for Scotland, said: "We don't know anything about medieval Fyvie at all. We know much more about later periods, but there is so much to learn. To come across 13th century pottery is just incredible."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/98218-archaeologists-uncover-medieval-defences-on-grounds-of-historic-castle/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: