Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 06:13:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Lovecraft

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lovecraft  (Read 279 times)
Erika Zimney
Superhero Member

« on: December 17, 2011, 07:57:15 am »

The Lovecraft is a horror themed tea shop and bar located in sunny Portland Oregon. Please see events page for upcoming events. Paying tribute to the world of horror in all of its forms with Lovecraft inspired and local art and decor. We also have different theme nights ranging from industrial and goth, metal in all of its forms, performance art, live music, movie nights and karaoke. We also participate in 1st Friday art shows with rotating artists and sponsor a monthly "Love Craft Fair" promoting local DIY culture and crafts. 421 SE Grand Portland OR 97214 Phone - 971-270-7760

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Erika Zimney
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:05:12 am »

DJ Styles - Faderheads and mixers

So in this funny world of bars and nightclubs, the DJ persona is almost like the wrestlers on TV; heroes, villains, technical wizards and charismatic trainwrecks (I think  am the latter). Some DJs play music for themselves, and you the dancer mean nothing to them. They usually have a non-existent dance floor. The technical wizard amazes a non-technical guy like myself, but your song choices can suck because the DJ is rigidly enslaved by the math. And I have heard shitty mixes with your wonder computer programs like Serrato, matching soundwaves and BPMs does not guarantee a good mix. Some DJs practice constantly at home, and then the crowd they get in public maybe not what they are prepared for, so they flounder. Some DJs are so obsessed with format, they alienate a crowd for requesting a song that really could be played; an EBM DJ can easily play Depeche Mode and make everyone happy, because Depeche Mode is awesome.

And then there are the mixers. When She Wants Revenge and Hussle Club DJed recently, some regular patrons complained because the DJs were showing their skills by mixing favorite songs flawlessly, but the crowd wanted to keep dancing to that song for more than 1 minute. At one point it got a bit ugly. Mixers are seen as “real” DJs and I respect what they do, I’m just too lazy to do it.  And then there is the faderhead like me, a guy who will play anything to keep the crowd going, and I play the whole song so I can drink and flirt with chicks and maybe get a bathroom break. Temple Of Love by The Sisters Of Mercy is the ultimate bathroom break song. So Is Bela Lugosi Is Dead. We do have bladders after all, sometimes it can be distracting trying to entertain and not to pee your pants.

So which DJ is better/ or right?

The answer is all and none. A good DJ has to read a crowd and adapt. If your terror ebm is deterring people from dancing, put on Joy Division. If The Cure kills your dance floor, play VNV Nation. No crowd is in a dancing mood until they are drunk anyway. And never, ever, ever play the hits until the crowd attendance peaks. I hate hearing hits in an empty room.

As a host, DJ, and business owner, my goal is to keep you there entertained, drinking, and dancing. Lately my secret weapon song of choice is Copacabana by Barry Manilow, for some reason goths and hipsters go crazy for it. And it is pretty goth, look at poor Lola the showgirl, losing her lovers in a gun duel and drinking herself to death crazy and alone. That is **** depressing.

Requesting your favorite song that actually sucks you can listen to at home. Don’t blame me for not killing a dance floor so you can not even dance to your crappy request, work with us, not against us. We can all have fun. (can’t we?)

It’s my bar, so it’s my responsibility that you have fun. If the people I hire suck bad enough I have to fire them, even if they are friends. I have bills to pay and your million PBRs almost covers those bills. So keep dancing and drinking and if you are not happy, politely tell us. We’re only dicks if you are.

Dance dance dance

- DJ Horrid

Report Spam   Logged
Erika Zimney
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:05:43 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Erika Zimney
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:06:17 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Erika Zimney