Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:06:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why We Must Work Together To Pass The OCCUPIED Amendment

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why We Must Work Together To Pass The OCCUPIED Amendment  (Read 140 times)
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:35 am »

Why We Must Work Together To Pass The OCCUPIED Amendment

“Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it. They cannot vote or run for office … the financial resources, legal structure, and instrumental orientation of corporations raise legitimate concerns about their role in the electoral process. Our lawmakers have a compelling constitutional basis, if not also a democratic duty, to take measures designed to guard against the potentially deleterious effects of corporate spending in local and national races.”
— Justice John Paul Stevens in his powerful dissent to Citizens United

Friends,

In recent months, Americans have rallied across the nation for action on rising income inequality, outrageous corporate tax giveaways, mounting student loan debt, and long-term joblessness. But while our citizens have occupied cities throughout America, corporations continue to occupy Washington and our state capitals, drowning out the voices of the 99 percent. Americans of all political stripes are united in the belief that all too often, corporate interests trump the will of the people. That's why today I want to tell you about an effort I am undertaking to return democracy to the people.

It's called the OCCUPIED Amendment, and it stands for Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy.

My proposed amendment to the Constitution:

Makes clear that corporations are not people like you and me.
Bans corporations from using their profits to buy our elections.
Allows Congress to crack down on anonymous third-party groups and Super PACS.
Gives us the right to limit the flood of campaign contributions from billionaires and shadowy secret organizations.
Click here to sign your name to the growing list of Americans fed up with corporate control of our elections.

Passing a constitutional amendment is no easy feat, but it is a tool the Framers of our Constitution bestowed upon us for times when our democracy is threatened.

My friends, this is such a time.

The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision has given corporations the right to spend unlimited amounts of their profits on our elections.
The 2010 election cycle was flooded with malicious attack ads funded by secret Super PACS flush with record amounts of corporate cash.
State legislatures are passing new restrictions on voting rights in exchange for contributions from corporate-backed front groups.
Just giving Congress the authority to limit corporate spending in our elections is not enough. We need to get their money out. Amending the Constitution is an enormous undertaking. That is why we must unite around an amendment that immediately gets corporations out of our elections. It is up to us to change the course of history and return our government to the American people.

I am thrilled that Public Citizen, the Center for Media and Democracy, and other public interest groups have come out in support of the OCCUPIED Amendment. But what is most important is that the OCCUPIED Amendment has your support.

Our Constitution granted its precious rights to America's citizens - real people like you and me. Together, we can build a nationwide movement of Americans committed to getting corporate money out of our elections.

You can read more and sign the petition here.

Stand with me, and let's begin the work of restoring our democracy together.

Thanks,

Rep. Ted Deutch

The OCCUPIED Amendment is Paid for and Authorized by Ted Deutch for Congress.

http://www.theoccupiedamendment.org/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: