Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:08:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sharks And Seals: Amazing Underwater Images From National Geographic's New Book

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharks And Seals: Amazing Underwater Images From National Geographic's New Book  (Read 1054 times)
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:45 am »

Sharks And Seals: Amazing Underwater Images From National Geographic's New Book "Ocean Soul" (PHOTOS)

First Posted: 11/14/11 11:17 AM ET Updated: 11/14/11 12:42 PM ET

National Geographic describes its latest book, "Ocean Soul" ($50), as "a love story." It's a stunning showcase of underwater images, all shot by Brian Skerry, a photojournalist for National Geographic magazine.

"One animal that keeps me pondering is the shark," says Skerry in the book. "Spellbound by these enigmatic animals since I first encountered them in New England, I never tire of watching their special blend of power and grace. Despite much observation, we know so little about their lives."

Witness a glimpse into the wonders and mysteries of the oceans in this series of images from "Ocean Soul".

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=6200816&code=MR20825
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:44 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:07 am »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:44:57 am by Christiana Hanaman » Report Spam   Logged
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:56 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:40:34 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:01 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:36 am »

Report Spam   Logged
LoneStar77

Carl Martin - Writer, Artist and Software Engineer

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:19 am »

Amazing photos, Christiana. Thanks for sharing. You've created a wonderful research tool with these and your other oceanic posts.

There really is so little we know about the ocean. We keep discovering many of its secrets and have no end in sight to wonders available there.

In fact, it was while pouring over oceanic data in a 1989 article in Nature magazine that I discovered what may be the "smoking gun" in the quest for proof of Atlantis. If what I found is indeed a proxy for a real event, then we have proof of an Atlantis-like event right when Plato said the legendary island sank.

I bet that event kept sharks busy for many weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

LoneStar77
(Carl Martin)
"Now we have proof that something BIG happened right when Plato's Atlantis subdided. We have the 'smoking gun.'"
www.MissionAtlantis.com
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:17:35 pm »

Thanks for the compliment, Carl.  I have been in love with the ocean ever since I was a kid and my parents took me to Florida. We went out to the beach and I saw the Atlantic stretching out into the horizon.  I'll never forget it, it was one of the most vivid memories of my life.  Then when I got older and began reading about Atlantis, things just sort of fell into place. I know Atlantis was out there at one time, in some place.

I would like to hear more about the "smoking gun" you discovered in the oceanic research when you get the chance!  Some undersea explosion, perhaps?  It is grisly to say, but if there was some sort of submersion of an island, yes, the bodies would have probably all gotten chewed up by the sharks.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: