Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 09:34:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

MAGI - ZOROASTRIANISM: THE AVESTA

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAGI - ZOROASTRIANISM: THE AVESTA  (Read 6369 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2007, 10:16:41 am »

http://www.avesta.org/yasna/y47to50b.htm

YASNA 47.
1. For his holy Spirit and for Best Thought, deed, and word, in accordance with Right Mazda Ahura with Dominion and Piety shall give us Welfare and Immortality. 
2. The best (work) of this most holy Spirit he fulfills with the tongue through words of Good Thought, with work of his hands through the action of Piety, by virtue of this knowledge: he, even Mazda, is the Father of Right. 
3. Thou art the holy Father of this Spirit, which has created for us the luck-bringing cattle, and for its pasture to give it peace (has created) Piety, when he had taken counsel, O Mazda, with Good Thought. 
4. From this Spirit have Liars fallen away, O Mazda, but not the Righteous. Whether one is lord of little or of much, he is to show love to the righteous, but be ill unto the Liar. 
5. And all the best things which by this Holy Spirit thou hast promised to the righteous, O Mazda Ahura, shall the Liar partake of them without thy will, who by his actions is on the side of Ill Thought? 
6. Through this holy Spirit, Mazda Ahura, and through the Fire thou wilt give the division of good to the two parties, with support of Piety and Right. This verily will convert many who are ready to hear. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:17:36 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2007, 10:19:13 am »

YASNA 48.
1. When at the Recompensings the Right shall smite the Liar, so that what was long since made known shall be assigned to eternity to Daevas and men, then will it exalt with thy blessings, Ahura, him who prays to thee.  NOTES: 
2. Tell me, for thou art he that knows, O Ahura: - shall the Righteous smite the Liar before the retributions come which thou hast conceived? That were indeed a message to bless the world. 
3. For him that knows, that is the best of teachings which the beneficent Ahura teaches through the Right, he the holy one, even thyself, O Mazda, that knows the secret lore through the wisdom of Good Thought. 
4. Whoso, O Mazda, makes his thought (now) better, (now) worse, and likewise his Self by action and by word, and follows his own inclinations, wishes, and choices, he shall in thy purpose be in a separate place at last. 
5. Let good rulers rule us, not evil rulers with the actions of the Good Lore, O Piety! Perfect thou for man, O thou most good, the future birth, and for the cow skilled husbandry. Let her grow fat for our nourishing. 
6. She (Armaiti) will give us peaceful dwelling, she will give lasting life and strength, she the beloved of Good Thought. For it (the cattle) Mazda Ahura made the plants to grow at the birth of the First Life, through Right. 
7. Violence must be put down! against cruelty make a stand, ye who would make sure of the reward of Good Thought through Right, to whose company the holy man belongs. His dwelling place shall be in thy House, O Ahura. 
8. Is the possession of thy good Dominion, Mazda, is that of thy Destiny assured to me Ahura? Will thy manifestation, O thou Right, be welcome to the pious, even the weighing of actions by the Good Spirit [Spenta Mainyu -JHP]? 
9. When shall I know whether ye have power, O Mazda and Right, over everyone whose destructiveness is a menace to me? Let the revelation of Good Thought be confirmed unto me; the future deliverer should know how his own destiny shall be. 
10. When, O Mazda, will the nobles understand the message? When will thou smite the filthiness of this intoxicant, through which the Karapans evilly deceive, and the wicked lords of the lands with purpose fell?1  1. Martin Schwartz tr: "When will they ban(ish) the filth of that ditch/reciprocity-gift whereby ... the karapans commit plunder", 'thus Yasna 48.10 contains no reference to intoxication, let alone condemnation of haoma.' Flattery: 'the passage ... has nothing remotely to do with sauma.' (Flattery & Schwartz, Haoma and Harmaline, 1989, pp. 105, 6.) 
11. When, O Mazda, shall Piety come with Right, with Dominion the happy dwelling rich with pasture? Who are they that will make peace with the bloodthirsty Liars? To whom will the Lore of Good Thought come? 
12. These shall be the deliverers [Saoshyants -JHP] of the provinces, who exert themselves, O Good Thought in their action, O Asha, to fulfill their duty, face to face with thy command, O Mazda. For these are the appointed smiters of Violence. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2007, 10:20:14 am »

YASNA 49.
1. Ever has Bendva been for me the greatest obstacle, I who desire to give satisfaction to those who are neglected, O Right, O Mazda. With good Ada come to me, support me firmly. Prepare for him (his) ruin, O Good Thought. 
2. The perverter of this Bendva has long time impeded me, the Liar who has fallen away from Right. He cares not that holy Piety should be his, nor takes the counsel with Good Thought, O Mazda. 
3. And in this belief (of ours), O Mazda, Right is laid down, for blessing, in the heresy the Lie, for ruin. Therefore I strive for the fellowship of Good Thought, I forbid all intercourse with the Liar. 
4. They who make the increase of violence and cruelty with their tongues, the foes of cattle-nurture among its friends; whose ill deeds prevail, not their good deeds: these (shall be) in the house of the Daevas, (the place for) the Self of the Liar. 
5. But he, O Mazda, - happiness and satiety be his who links his own Self with Good Thought, being through Right an intimate of Piety. And with all these (may I be) in Thy Dominion, Ahura. 
6. I beseech you twain, O Mazda and the Right, to say what are the plans of your will, that we may discern how we might teach the Religion of such as you, O Ahura. 
7. And this let Good Thought hear, O Mazda, let the Right hear, do thou also listen, O Ahura, which men of the brotherhood, what noble is it according to the Law who brings to the community fame. 
8. On Frashaoshtra do thou bestow the most gladsome fellowship with the Right - this I ask thee, O Mazda Ahura - and on myself the hold on what is good in thy Dominion. To all eternity we would be thy messengers. 
9. Let the helper hear the ordinance, he that is created to bring deliverance. The man of right words is no regarder of fellowship with the Liar, if they that are partakers of Right are to make their Selves partake in the best reward at the Judgment, O Jamaspa. 
10. And this, O Mazda, will I put in thy care within thy House - the Good Thought and the souls of the Righteous, their worship, their Piety and zeal, that thou mayst guard it, O thou mighty Dominion, with abiding power. 
11. But these that are of an evil dominion, of evil deeds, evil words, evil Self, and evil thought, Liars, the Souls go to meet them with evil food; in the House of the Lie they shall be meet inhabitants. 
12. What help hast thou, O Right, for Zarathushtra that calls upon me? What hast thou, Good Thought? -- for me who with praises seeks your favor, O Mazda Ahura, longing for that which is best in your possession. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:24 am »

YASNA 50.
1. (Zarathushtra:) Can my soul count on any one for help? Who is there found for my herd, who for myself a protector, indeed, at my call other than the Right and thyself. O Mazda Ahura, and the Best Thought? 
2. How, O Mazda, should one desire the luck-bringing cattle, one who would fain it would come to him with the pasture?
(Mazda:) They that live uprightly according to the Right among the many that look upon the sun, those whom they stand in judgment, I will settle in the dwellings of the wise. 
3. (Zarathushtra:) So this (reward) shall come to him through the Right, O Mazda, (this reward) which by the Dominion and Good Thought he promised, whomsoever by the power of his Destiny prospers the neighboring possession that now the Liar holds. 
4. I will worship you with praise, O Mazda Ahura, joined with Right and Best Thought and Dominion, that they, desired of pious men, may stand as Judges on the path of the obedient unto the House of Song. 
5. Assured by you, O Mazda Ahura and Right, are the pointings of the hand - since you are well-disposed to your prophet - which shall bring us to bliss, together with visible manifest help. 
6. The prophet Zarathushtra, O Mazda, who lifts up his voice in worship, as friend of Asha - may the Creator of Wisdom teach me his ordinances through Good Thought, that my tongue may have a pathway. 
7. For you I will harness the swiftest steeds, stout and strong, by the promptings of your praise, that ye may come hither, O Mazda, Right, and Good thought. 
8. Ever with verses that are recognized as those of pious zeal I will come before you with outstretched hands, O Mazda, before you, O thou Right, with worship of the faithful man, before you with all the capacity of Good Thought. 
9. With those prayers I would come and praise you, O Mazda and thou Right, with actions of Good Thought. If I be master of my own destiny as I will, then will I take thought for the portion of the wise in the same. 
10. Those actions that I shall achieve and those done aforetime, and those, O Good Thought, that are precious in thy sight, the rays of the sun, the shimmering uprisings of the days, all is for your praise, O thou Right and Mazda Ahura. 
11. Your praiser, Mazda, will I declare myself and be, so long, O Right, as I have strength and power. May the Creator of the world accomplish through Good Thought its fulfillment of all that most perfectly answers to his will. 
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2007, 10:22:32 am »

http://www.avesta.org/yasna/y51brt.htm

YASNA 51.
Translation by Bartholomae, from I.J.S. Taraporewala, The Divine Songs of Zarathushtra. Notes in square brackets [] were added by JHP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good, the precious Dominion, as a most surpassing portion, shall Right achieve for him that with zeal accomplishes what is best through his actions, O Mazda. This will I now work out for us.
Before all, O Mazda Ahura, assure me the Dominion of your possession, O Right, and what is thine, O Piety. Your (Dominion) of blessing give through Good Thought to him that prays.
Let your ears attend to those who in their deeds and utterances hold to your words, Ahura and Right, to those of Good Thought, for whom thou, Mazda, art the first teacher.
Where is the recompense for wrong to be found, where pardon for the same? Where shall they attain the Right? Where is the holy Piety, where Best Thought? Thy Dominions, where are they, O Mazda?
All this (I) ask, whether the husbandman shall find cattle in accordance with Right, he that is perfect in action, a man of understanding, when he prays to him, who hath promised unto the Wise the true Judge, in that he is Lord of the two destinies...
Even he, Ahura Mazda, who through his Dominion appoints what is better than good to him that is attached to his will, but what is worse than evil to him that obeys him not, at the last end of life.
Give me, O thou that didst create the Ox and Waters and Plants, Welfare and Immortality, by the Highest Spirit, O Mazda, strength and continuance through Good Thought at the (Judge's) sentence.
Of these two things will I speak, O Mazda, - for one may speak to the wise, - the ill that is threatened to the Liar, and the happiness of him who clings to the Right. For he, the Prophet, is glad of every one who says this to the wise.
What recompense thou wilt give to the two parties by thy red Fire, by the molten metal, give us a sign of it in our souls - even the bringing of ruin to the Liar, of blessing to the Righteous.
Whoso, other than this one, seeks to kill me, Mazda, he is a son of the Lie's creation, ill-willed thus towards all that live. I call the Right to come to me with good destiny.
What man is friend to Spitama Zarathushtra, O Mazda? Who will let himself be counseled by Right? With whom is holy Piety? Or who as an upright man is intent on the brotherhood of Good Thought?
The Kavi's wanton did not please Zarathushtra Spitama at the Winter Gate, in that he stayed him from taking refuge with him, and when there came to him also (Zarathushtra's) two steeds shivering with cold.
Thus the Self of the Liar destroys for himself the assurance of the right Way; whose soul shall tremble at the Revelation on the Bridge of the Separator, having turned aside with deeds and tongue from the Path of Right.
The Karapans will not obey the statutes and ordinances concerning husbandry. For the pain they inflict upon the cattle, fulfill upon them through their actions and judgments that judgment which at the last shall bring them to the House of the Lie.
When Zarathushtra hath promised to the men of his brotherhood, (which) in the House of Song Ahura Mazda hath first attained, for all this I have looked through your blessings, Good Thought, and those of Right.
Kavi Vishtaspa hath the creed which the holy Mazda Ahura with Right hath devised, together with the dominion of the Brotherhood, and the path of Good Thought. So be it accomplished after our desire.
The fair form of one that is dear hath Frashaoshtra Hvogva promised unto me: may sovereign Mazda Ahura grant that she attain possession of the Right for her good Self.
This creed Jamaspa Hvogva chooses through Right, lordly in substance. This Dominion they (choose) who have part in Good Thought. This grant me, Ahura, that they may find in thee, Mazda, their protection.
The man himself, O Maidyoi-Maungha Spitama, hath set this before him after conceiving it in his own self. He that would see life indeed, to him will he make known what in actions by Mazda's ordinance is better during (this) existence.
Your blessings shall ye give us, all that are one in will, with whom Right, Good Thought, Piety, and Mazda (are one) according to promise, giving your aid when worshipped with reverence.
By Piety the man becomes Holy. Such person advances Right through his thinking, his words, his action, his Self. By Good Thought Mazda Ahura will give the Dominion. For this good Destiny I long.
He, I ween, that Mazda Ahura knoweth among all that have been and are, as one to whom in accordance with Right the best portion falls for his prayer, these will I reverence by their own names and go before them with honor.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:23:26 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2007, 10:25:09 am »

http://www.avesta.org/yasna/y52sbe.htm

YASNA 52: A PRAYER FOR SANCTITY AND ITS BENEFITS.
Translated by L. H. Mills (From Sacred Books of the East, American Edition, 1898.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pray with benedictions for a benefit, and for the good, even for the entire creation of the holy (and the clean); I beseech for them for the (generation which is) now alive, for that which is just coming into life, and for that which shall be hereafter. And (I pray for that) sanctity which leads to prosperity, and which has long afforded shelter, which goes on hand in hand with it, which joins it in its walk, and of itself becoming its close companion as it delivers forth its precepts, (2) bearing every form of healing virtue which comes to us in waters, appertains to cattle, or is found in plants, and overwhelming, all the harmful malice of the Daevas, (and their servants) who might harm this dwelling and its lord, (3) bringing good gifts, and better blessings, given very early, and later (gifts), leading to successes, and for a long time giving shelter. And so the greatest, and the best, and most beautiful benefits of sanctity fall likewise to our lot (4) for the sacrifice, homage, propitiation, and the praise of the Bountiful Immortals, for the bringing prosperity to this abode, and for the prosperity of the entire creation of the holy, and the clean, (and as for this, so) for the opposition of the entire evil creation. (And I pray for this) as I praise through Righteousness, I who am beneficent, those who are (likewise of a better mind).
5-8.
(See Y8.5-8.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:26:00 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2007, 10:27:12 am »

http://www.avesta.org/yasna/y53brt.htm

AVESTA: YASNA - Vahishtoishti Gatha (chapter 53)
Translation by Bartholomae, from I.J.S. Taraporewala, The Divine Songs of Zarathushtra.

YASNA 53.
(Zarathushtra) - The best possession known is of Zarathushtra Spitama, which is that Mazda Ahura will give him through Right the glories of blessed life unto all time, and likewise to them that practice and learn the words and actions of his Good Religion.
Then let them seek the pleasure of Mazda with thoughts, words, and actions, unto him praise gladly, and seek his worship, even Kava Vishtaspa, and Zarathushtra's son, the Spitamid, with Frashaoshtra, making straight the paths for the Religion of the future Deliverer which Ahura ordained.
Him, O Pouruchista, thou scion of Haechataspa and Spitama, youngest of Zarathushtra's daughters, hath (Zarathushtra) appointed as one to enjoin on them the fellowship with Good Thought, Right, and Mazda. So take counsel with thine own understanding, with good insight practice the holiest works of Piety.
(Jamaspa): Earnestly will I lead her to the Faith, that she may serve her father and her husband, the farmers and the nobles, as a righteous woman (serving) the righteous. The glorious heritage of Good Thought ... shall Mazda Ahura give to her for all time.
(Zarathushtra): Teachings address I to maidens marrying, and to you (bridegrooms) giving counsel. Lay them to heart and learn to get them within your Selves in earnest attention to the Life of Good Thought. Let each of you strive to excel the other in the Right, for it will be a prize for that one.
So is it in fact, ye men and women! Whatever happiness ye look for in the follower of the (...) that will be snatched away from his person. To them the Liars, crying 'woe', shall be ill-food, paradise shall be lost to them that despite righteousness. In such wise ye destroy for yourselves the Spiritual Life.
And to you shall accrue the reward of the Brotherhood - in so far as the most faithful zeal is in your flesh and blood - there where the spirit of the Liar, cringing and cowering, shall fall down into destruction. If you separate yourselves from the Brotherhood, then will 'woe!' be your word at the end of things.
So they whose deeds are evil, let them be deceived, and let them all howl, abandoned to ruin. Through good rulers let him bring death and bloodshed upon them and peace from these (their assaults) unto the happy villagers. Grief let him bring on those, he that is the greatest, with the lord of death; and soon let it be.
To men of evil creed belongs the place of corruption. They that set themselves to contemn the worthy, despising righteousness, forfeiting their own body. - Where is the Righteous Lord who shall rob them of life and freedom? Thine Mazda is the Dominion, whereby thou canst give to the right-living poor man the better portion.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:28:06 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2007, 10:29:41 am »

http://www.avesta.org/yasna/y54to72s.htm

YASNA 54 - The Airyema-Ishyo.
Let the Airyaman, the desired friend and peersman, draw near for grace to the men and to the women who are taught of Zarathushtra, for the joyful grace of the Good Mind, whereby the conscience may attain its wished-for recompense. I pray for the sacred reward of the ritual order which is (likewise so much) to be desired; and may Ahura Mazda grant it, (or cause it to increase).
--------------------
We sacrifice to the Airyema-ishyo, the powerful, the victoriously smiting, the opponent of assaulting malice, the greatest of the sentences of the holy ritual order. And we sacrifice to the bounteous Gathas that rule supreme in the ritual, the holy (and august). And we sacrifice to the Praises of the Yasna which were the productions of the world of old.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:31:03 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2007, 10:31:52 am »

YASNA 55.
THE WORSHIP OF THE GATHAS AS CONCLUDED, THAT OF THE STAOTA YESNYA AS BEGINNING.
We present hereby and we make known, as our offering to the bountiful Gathas which rule (as the leading chants) within (the appointed times and seasons of) the Ritual, all our landed riches, and our persons, together with our very bones and tissues, our forms and forces, our consciousness, our soul, and Fravashi.
That which Gathas (may) be to us, which are our guardians and defenders, and our spiritual food, yea, which (may) be to our souls both food and clothing, such are these Gathas to us, guardians, and defenders, and (spiritual) food, even such they are, both food and clothing to the soul.
And (may) they be to us (for this our offering) abundant givers of rewards, and just and righteous ones, for the world beyond the present, after the parting of our consciousness and body. 3. And may these (Praises of the Offering) come forth, and appear for us with power and victorious assault, with health and healing, with progress, and with growth, with preparation and protection, with beneficence and sanctity, and abounding with gifts toward him who can understand; yea, let them appear (with free liberality to the enlightened), let them appear as Mazda, the most beneficent, has produced them, He the one who is victorious when He smites, and who helps the settlements advance, for the protection, and the guarding of the religious order of the settlements which are now being furthered, and of those which shall bring salvation to us, and for the protection of the entire creation of the holy (and the clean).
--------------------
And may'st thou, (O Asha! who abidest within the Gathas), give to every holy man who comes with this prayer for a blessing, and endeavoring to help himself, according to his good thoughts, and words, and deeds.
We are therefore worshipping both the (divine) Righteousness and the Good Mind, and the bountiful Gathas, that rule as the leading chants within (the times and the seasons of) the holy ritual order.
--------------------
And we worship the Praises of the Yasna which were the production of the ancient world, those which are (now) recollected and put in use, those which are now learned and taught, those which are being held (in mind, and so) repeated, those remembered and recited, and those worshipped, and thus the ones which further the world through grace in its advance.
And we worship the part(s) of the Praises of the Yasna, and their recitation as it is heard, even their memorized recital, and their chanting, and their offering (as complete).
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2007, 10:33:15 am »

YASNA 56.
INTRODUCTION TO THE SROSH YASHT.
Let Sraosha (the listening Obedience) be present here for the worship of Ahura Mazda, the most beneficent, and holy, of him) who is desired by us as at the first, so at the last; and so again may attentive Obedience be present here for the worship of Ahura Mazda, the most beneficent and the holy who (is so) desired by us.
(Yea), let Sraosha (the attentive Obedience) be present here for the worship of the good waters, and for the Fravashis of the saints which are so desired by us, [and for (their) souls], as at the first, so at the last.
And thus again may Sraosha (the listening Obedience) be present here for the worship of the good, waters, and for the Fravashis of the saints, which are so desired by us, [(and) for (their) souls].
Let Sraosha (the listening Obedience) be present here for the worship of the good waters; yea, let the good Obedience be here for the worship of the good and bountiful Immortals who rule aright, and dispose (of all) aright, the good, and for the worship of the good Sanctity, or Blessedness, who is closely knit with the Righteous Order, to perfect us, and to incite us. May Sraosha (Obedience) be here present for the worship of the good waters, he the good and the holy, as at the first, so at the last.
And so again may Sraosha, (Obedience) the good, be present here for the worship of the good waters, and of the good and bountiful Immortals, and of Blessedness the good who is closely knit with the Righteous Order to perfect and to incite us. Yea, we worship Sraosha the blessed and the stately, who smites with victory, and who furthers the settlements in their advance, the holy lord of the ritual order.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2007, 10:35:11 am »

YASNA 57 -- THE SROSH YASHT.
A blessing is Righteousness (called) the Best, &c.
Propitiation be to Sraosha, Obedience the blessed, the mighty, the incarnate word of reason, whose body is the Mathra, him of the daring spear, devoted to the Lord, for (his) sacrificial worship, homage, propitiation, and praise.

[1]
We worship Sraosha, (Obedience, the blessed, the stately, him who smites with the blow of victory, and who furthers the settlements, the holy, (ruling) as the ritual lord. Him do we worship, who in the creation of Mazda the first adored Ahura, with the Baresman spread, who worshipped the Bountiful Immortals (first), who worshipped both the protector and the Creator, who are (both) creating all things in the creation.
For his splendor and his glory, for his might, and the blow which smites with victory, I will worship him with the Yasna of the Yazads, with a Yasna loud intoned, him Obedience the blessed, with the consecrated waters, and the good Blessedness, the lofty, and Nairya-sangha, the stately; and may he draw near to us to aid us, he who smites with victory, Obedience the blessed!
We worship Sraosha, Obedience the blessed, and that lofty Lord who is Ahura Mazda Himself, Him who has attained the most to this our ritual, Him who has approached the nearest to us in our celebrations. And we worship all the words of Zarathushtra, and all the deeds well done (for him), both those that have been done (in times gone by), and those which are yet to be done (for him in times to come).

[2]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed and the stately, him who smites with the blow of victory, who prospers the settlements, the holy ritual lord, (6) who first spread forth the Baresman, and the three bundles, and the five bundles, and the seven bundles, and the nine, till it was heaped for us knee-high, and to the middle of the thighs, for the Bountiful Immortals, for their worship, and their homage, and their propitiation, and their praise.
For his splendor and his glory, for his might, and the blow which smites with victory, I will worship him with the Yasna of the Yazads, with a Yasna loud intoned, him Obedience the blessed, with the consecrated waters.

[3]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, the stately, who smites with the blow of victory, who furthers the settlements, the holy ritual chief.
Who first chanted the Gathas, the five Gathas of Zarathushtra, the Spitama, the holy (with the fashion) of their metres, and after the well-constructed order of their words, together with the Zand which they contain, and the questions which they utter, and the answers which they give, for the Bountiful Immortals, for their sacrifice and homage, their propitiation, and their praise.
For his splendor and his glory, for his might....

[4]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed and the stately, who smites with the blow of victory, and who furthers the settlements, the holy ritual chief, (10) who for the poor among (our) men and women built a mighty house, who after sunset, and with his leveled battle-ax, smites Aeshema bloody wounds, and having struck the head, casts him lightly (?) (to the earth), as the stronger (smites) the weaker.

[5]
We worship Sraosha, Obedience the blessed and the stately, him who smites with the blow of victory, who furthers the settlements, the holy ritual chief, as the energetic, and the swift, the strong, the daring (and redoubted) hero, (12) who comes back from all his battles (and comes from them) a conqueror, who amid the Bountiful ImmortaIs sits as companion at their meeting.

[6]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, who is the strongest and most persistent of the youths, the most energetic, and the swiftest, who of all the youths strikes most with terror I from afar (?). [Be ye desirous, O ye Mazdayasnians! of the Yasna of Obedience the blessed.]
Far from this house, this village, and this tribe, and from this country, the evil and destructive terrors (shall) depart. In the dwelling of that man in whose abode Obedience the blessed, who smites victoriously, is satisfied and welcomed, there is that holy man who thus contents him (most) forward in the thinking better thoughts, in the speaking truthful ritual) words, and in the doing holy deeds.

[7]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed and the stately, who is the conqueror of the Kayadha, and the Kaidhya, who was the smiter of the Lie-demon of the Daevas, the one veritably powerful, the destroyer of the world, who is the guardian and watchman over all the migrations (?) of the tribes.
Who sleeplessly and vigilant guards the creatures of Ahura, who sleeplessly and with vigilance saves them, who with halberd raised on high guards all the corporeal world after setting of the sun, (17) who has never slept in quiet since the two Spirits made the worlds, [the bounteous and the evil one] who guards the homes of Asha, who battles all (?) the days long and the nights with all the Daevas [(Pazand) the Mazanian], (18) nor terror-stricken does he turn in affright before (their power); but before him all the Daevas turn in affright against their will, and rush to darkness in their fear.

[8]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, whom Haoma worshipped on the highest height of high Haraiti, he Haoma, the reviver, and the healer, the beautiful, the kingly, of the golden eye, (20) of the gracious words, of the warning and the guarding words, who intones our hymns on every side, who possesses understanding and of every brilliant form, which abounds in many an explanation and revelation of the word, who has the first place in the Mathra.

[9]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, whose house stands with its thousand pillars, as victorious, on the highest height of high Haraiti, self-lighted from within, star-studded from without, (22) to whom the Ahuna-vairya has come, the ax of victory, and the Haptanghaiti, and the Fshusho-mathra which smites with victory, and all the Yasna sections.

[10]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, by whose might and victorious power, and wise conduct, and (full) knowledge, the Bountiful Immortals descend upon this earth of seven quarters.
Who as teacher of the law will stride forth upon this earth with its dwellers in the body, and ruling as he will.
And in this Religion, Ahura Mazda has been confessed with faith, and the Good Mind likewise with Him, and Righteousness the Best, and Khshathra-vairya, and Piety the Bounteous, and the Universal Weal and Immortality; and the question to the Lord is asked, and Mazda's lore (is written).
O Sraosha (Obedience), thou blessed one, and stately! protect us for the lives; yea, for both, (for that) of this world which is corporeal, and for the world of mind, against unhappy death, and the remorseless Wrath of rapine, against the hosts with ill-intent, who lift their bloody spears against us; yea, against their assaults whom the Wrath-demon will set on, and Vidhatu, demon-made. 26. Therefore may'st thou, O Sraosha, the blessed and the stately! grant swiftness to our teams, soundness to our bodies, and abundant observation of our foes, and their smiting (as we mark them), and their sudden death.

[11]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, whom four racers draw in harness, white and shining, beautiful, and powerful, quick to learn, and fleet, obeying before speech, heeding orders from the mind, with their hoofs of horn gold-covered, (28) fleeter than (our) horses, swifter than the winds, more rapid than the rain(-drops as they fall); yea, fleeter than the clouds, or well-winged birds, or the we shot arrow as it flies, (29) which overtake these swift ones all, as they fly after them pursuing, but which are never overtaken when they flee, which plunge away from both the weapons (hurled on this side and on that) and draw Sraosha with them, the good Sraosha and the blessed; which from both the weapons (those on this side and on that) bear the good Obedience the blessed, plunging forward in their zeal, when he takes his course from India on the East, and when he lights down in the West.

[12]
We worship Obedience the blessed and the stately, who though lofty and so high, yea, even to the girdle, yet stoops to Mazda's creatures, (31) who thrice within the day, and three times of a night, will drive on to that Karshvar Hvaniratha, called the luminous, as he holds in both the hands and poizes his knife-like battle-ax, which flies as of itself, and to cleave the Daevas' skulls, (32) to hew down Angra Mainyu, the wicked, and to hew down Rapine of the bloody spear, to hew down the Daevas of Mazendran, and every Demon-god.

[13]
We worship Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed and the stately, him who smites with victory, both here and not here, and on this entire earth. And we worship all the (gifts) of Sraosha (Obedience) the blessed, the mighty, and the strong, whose body is the Mathra.
Yea, we worship (all the martial gifts) of Sraosha (Obedience) the mighty, both armed with shielding armor, and a warrior strong of hand, skull-cleaver of the Daevas, conquering the endowments of the conqueror, the holy conqueror of the conqueror, and (his) victorious powers, and he Ascendancy which it bestows, and we worship this Ascendancy of Sraosha's (the same which conquers theirs); and that of Arshti do we praise as well. 34. And every house by Sraosha guarded do we worship, wherein the blessed friendly Sraosha is befriended and made welcome, where the holy man is far advanced (?) in holy thoughts, and righteous words and deeds.
For his splendor and his glory, for his might, which smites with victory, I will worship him with the Yasna of the Yazads, with a Yasna loud-intoned, him Obedience the blessed, with the consecrated waters, and the good Blessedness, the lofty, and Nairya-sangha, the stately, and may he come to us to aid us, he who smites with victory, Obedience the blessed!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:37:00 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2007, 10:38:01 am »

YASNA 58 -- THE FSHUSHO MATHRA.
(Introduction.) (To the increase of our homage and praise of God) we offer this service which, as our defense, may shield us, which is worship with its beneficent results; and Blessedness is with it of a verity, and Piety as well. [ (Pazand) and of this worship the results here mentioned are the well-thought thought, the word well spoken, and the deed well done]; and let this our worship shelter us from the Daeva and from the evil-minded man. 2. And to this worship do we confide our settlements and persons for protection and care, for guarding, and for oversight; (3) and in this worship will we abide, O Ahura Mazda! and with joy.
In this worship do we exercise our choices; and to it will we approach, and to it will we belong; yea, to revering worship will we confide our settlements and persons for protection, and for care, for guarding, and for oversight, to such worship as is the praise of such as You.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2007, 10:39:15 am »

MATHRA.
The owner of herds is the righteous (one), and he is victorious when he strikes, and thus he is the best; [(Pazand) we therefore offer (this) service (for herd-owners)] for the herd-owner is the father of the Kine by the help of him who follows the ritual order: and he is the father of the holy man as well, and of the sanctified creation. He is in verity the bestower of blessings, and to him, O Ye Bountiful Immortals! we render, (and his do we make) Your greatness, Your goodness, and Your (spiritual) beauty, and let this man, the cattle-owner, approach to guard over us; and may he be our watchman together with the Righteous Order, and with store for our nourishment and full generous liberality, together with sharing of the goods, with gentleness, and with Ahura Mazda's sacred Fire!
O Ye Bountiful Immortals! as Ye have made us, so do Ye save us, holy men, and saintly women (as we are, and steadfast in the faith)l. Save us, O Ye Bountiful Immortals! Ye who rule aright, and who dispose (of all) aright, for none other do I know, save You; then with Your Righteousness do Ye save us.
And we offer hereby our thoughts, and words, and actions, our herds, and men, to the Bountiful Spirit. And may the creative stars of Ahura Mazda, the Creator, shine down on us, and round about us with full herds and healthy settlements, with healthy herds and healthy men, and with all in vigor, and endowed with the blessing of the Lord. 7. Praise to Thee, O Fire of Ahura Mazda I may'st thou come to (us in) the greatest one of the engrossing interests for the help of the great (effort), for the joy-producing grace of the great (interest of our cause); grant us both Weal and Deathlessness!
We sacrifice to the entire collection of the Praises of the Yasna, with the careful structure of their language which has reached the most its object. And we offer (our homage) in our celebrations to Thy body, O Ahura Mazda! the most beautiful of forms, these stars, and to that one, the highest of the high [(Pazand) such as the sun was called]. Yea, we worship the Praises of the Yasna which were the production of the world of old.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2007, 10:40:22 am »

YASNA 59.
MUTUAL BLESSINGS.
1-17.
(See Y17.1-17.)
18-27.
(See Y26.1-1O.)
We worship Verethraghna, the Ahura-made, the victorious blow; and we worship the Saoshyant, who smites with victory; and we sacrifice to this Baresman with its Zaothra and its girdle (which is its band) and which is spread with sanctity. And we sacrifice to (our) own soul(s), and to (our) own Fravashi(s).
(See Y17.19.)
(The Ratu speaks): O thou good (servant of the Lord)! may that be thine which is better than the good; may'st thou acquire that which is (thine) own in the Zaothra; may'st thou attain to that reward which the Zaotar has been obtaining, who is far advanced in his good thoughts, and words, and deeds.
(The Zaotar speaks): May that happen to you (likewise) which is better than the good, and may that not happen which is worse than the evil, and may that likewise not be my lot. 32. As (our) Ahu (is) excellent, so (is our) Ratu (one who rules) from his Righteousness, a creator of mental goodness, and of life's actions done for Mazda, and the Kingdom (is) to Ahura which to the poor will offer a nurturer. A blessing is Asha called the Best, &c. We sacrifice to the Ahuna-vairya; we sacrifice to Asha Vahishta the most beautiful, the Bountiful Immortal. And we sacrifice to the Fshusho-mathra, the by-spoken. And we sacrifice to the entire collection of the Praises of the Yasna; (yea), to the Yasna Praises which were instituted in the world of yore.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2007, 10:44:58 am »

YASNA 60.
PRAYERS FOR THE DWELLING OF THE SACRIFICER.
Thus that better than the good may he approach, who shows to us straight paths of profit appertaining to this bodily life and to the mental likewise, in the eternal (?) realms where dwells Ahura; yea, may he approach it, who is Thy worthy servant, and good citizen, O Great giver Lord!
May these blessings approach this house, which are the wise perceptions of the saints, the sacred blessings bestowed through the ritual, their guileless characteristics, together with their recognition of what is due; and may the Righteous Order appear for this village, and the Divine Sovereign Power, together with the benefit and glorious welfare (which ensues),
And with these the long enduring prominence of this Religion of Ahura's, the Zarathushtrian Faith. And may the Kine be now with greatest speed within (the farm-yard of) this house, most speedily may the rewarded sanctity and the strength of the holy man be here, most speedily as well Ahura's lore. 4. And may the good and heroic and bountiful Fravashis of the saints come here, and may they go hand in hand with us with the healing virtues of (their) blessed gifts as wide-spread as the earth, as far-spread as the rivers, as high-reaching as the sun, for the furtherance of the better men, for the hindrance of the hostile, and for the abundant growth of riches and of glory.
May Sraosha (Obedience) conquer disobedience within this house, and may peace triumph over discord here, and generous giving over avarice, reverence over contempt, speech with truthful words over lying utterance. May the Righteous Order gain the victory over the Demon of the Lie.
As in this (house) the Bountiful Immortals seek for good Yasnas and good praises from the blessed Sraosha (who governs here), and as they seek for (one) good sacrifice and act of homage (more especially their own) which is a good offering (to them) for (our) salvation, and a good offering in praise, together with a long continued offering of the entire self, (7) let not then (their) brilliant glory ever desert this house, nor the bright abundance, nor an illustrious offspring legitimately born, nor that long continued companionship which is the furtherance of that good blessedness which teaches concerning glory.
8-10.
(= Y8.5-7).
In order that our minds may be delighted, and our souls the best, let our bodies be glorified as well, and let them; O Mazda! go likewise openly (unto Heaven) as the best world of the saints as devoted to Ahura, (12) and accompanied by Asha Vahishta (who is Righteousness the Best), and the most beautiful! And may we see Thee, and may we, approaching, come around about Thee, and attain to entire companionship with Thee! And we sacrifice to the Righteous Order, the best, the most beautiful, the bounteous Immortal!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:48:05 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: