Atlantis Online
December 04, 2022, 07:45:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

It may be too hard to be homeless in Chicago....

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It may be too hard to be homeless in Chicago....  (Read 216 times)
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« on: October 08, 2011, 04:17:51 pm »

By J. Kay, August 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm

My cousin came in town from London and with his cheeky British accent,  he made a comment about the beautiful skyline, the Taste of Chicago and the bountiful homeless!  Of course he was being sarcastic in the way that only a British accent could project, but prior to his comments, I never noticed how many homeless (or homeless looking) individuals I pass on a given day in the Second City.

The only homeless guy that I fondly remember (not really) was a mean one that had a corner across from my weekend gig downtown during my BARELY PAID internship days.  He staked out his area right next to a Seven 11 entrance.  He stayed in the same spot each day and  there was no one bold enough to panhandle anywhere near him.   He was a block from Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive (I'm thinking a good location to panhandle) because he had access to lower Wacker Drive (his living quarters) whenever he wanted.  Unassuming tourist walked by and because of his scary demeanor, 6’5”, 200 plus pounds, he would almost scare them into donating money.  I didn’t like him and I guess my perception of the homeless started there…..

However, I noticed a guy in Wicker Park this week with a sign requesting $1 for his personal kissing booth sitting next to another guy with a sign that said 25 cents for jokes!  If anything, their signs made me laugh and were a creative way to ask for money.  I wasn’t donating a dollar (for a multitude of reasons), but if the idea was to appear to be harmless, but in need of genuine help, they got two thumbs up for their efforts.

I also noticed another couple along Mag Mile this week. They were getting on the bus after scoring a free CTA pass for the month.  They asked for money to cover their bus ride back to Minnesota because they said it was too hard to even be homeless in Chicago!

Is the new attraction in Chicago, the homeless?   I would think that after all of my time in this City, it would be a part of City Life  and something that I would cautiously ignore - similar to public urination, noxious and indescribable smells, graffiti (well maybe not in Chicago since spray cans were banned eons ago), ambulance sirens and brazen crimes.

However, it seems that my own impression of the homeless has changed and I think it is a good thing.  There are so many people in need today and clearly in the Second City.

I don't believe in giving donations at the moment, but maybe with  a sunnier disposition about Chicago and what imminent tax will be imposed next, it could all change?  Besides, the next person is able to donate (hopefully) for a joke or provide a buck for an ill advised kissing booth.  At the moment, I can only provide a slight smile and a sympathetic gaze.

http://www.chicagonow.com/second-to-none/2011/08/it-may-be-too-hard-to-be-homeless-in-chicago/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:20:31 pm »

Yeah well how many of these clowns kept voting for the members of the 2 Bilderberg Parties.

Amazing how mindlessly people vote Republican and Democrat and America keeps getting worse and worse yet people still keep on voting the same way.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: