Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:27:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

World's Earliest Christian Engraving Shows Surprising Pagan Elements

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's Earliest Christian Engraving Shows Surprising Pagan Elements  (Read 326 times)
Kabrina Teppe
Superhero Member

« on: October 02, 2011, 12:24:28 am »

Christian and pagan

When analyzing the inscription, Snyder also noticed some similarities with funeral epigrams composed for non-Christians. In those inscriptions, the wedding imagery is used in a tragic way. [After Death: 8 Burial Alternatives Going Mainstream]

One example, written about 2,100 years ago, reads in part:

I am Theophila, short-lived daughter of Hecateus. The ghosts of the unmarried dead were courting me, a young maiden, for marriage, Hades outstripped the others and seized me, for he desired me, looking upon me as a Persephone more desirable than Persephone. And when he carved the letters on her tombstone, he wept for the girl Theophila from Sinope, her father Hecateus, who composed the wedding torches not for marriage but for Hades...

(Translation by Gregory Snyder)

"Typically, that wedding imagery is tragic," said Snyder. "Here's the promising young person entering into the prime of life, suddenly snatched away, and betrothed, married to Hades."

What the second-century Christian inscription does is turn this convention on its head. "They're playing with that... it's not decline, it's looking forward to a new life."

Snyder said that the mix of Christian and pagan traditions in the inscription is striking. He told LiveScience that he's studied early Christian paintings on the Via Latina that mix biblical themes, such as the story of Samson or the raising of Lazarus, along with figures from classical mythology, like that of Hercules.

"Those kinds of things I find particularly interesting, because they seem to suggest a period of time in which a Christian identity is flexible," Snyder said. "Is it just a simple either/or between pagan and Christian?" he asked. "Or is there really something rather like a spectrum? Or are you really sort of both in certain respects?"

Follow LiveScience for the latest in science news and discoveries on Twitter @livescience and on Facebook.

* In Photos: A Journey Through Early Christian Rome
    * Gallery of Dead Sea Scrolls: A Glimpse of the Past
    * History's Most Overlooked Mysteries
http://www.livescience.com/16319-earliest-christian-inscription-pagan-artifacts.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: