Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:45:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Opus Dei Followers On Trial In France

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opus Dei Followers On Trial In France  (Read 343 times)
Holy Blood, Holy Grail
Superhero Member

« on: September 24, 2011, 07:22:51 pm »

Opus Dei Followers On Trial In France

Catherine Tissier, left, arrives at court in Paris Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011, where Tissier alleges mental manipulation to dominate her free will by two Opus Dei followers and an association with close ties to the conservative Catholic group, as they go on trial in Paris, Thursday, accused of forcing Tissier to work for more than a decade with little or no pay. Tissier was 14-years old when she joined the Donson hotel school in eastern France, where the religious sacraments were led by Opus Dei.

MASHA MACPHERSON   09/22/11 03:36 PM ET   AP

PARIS — Two Opus Dei followers and an association closely linked to the conservative Roman Catholic group went on trial Thursday, accused of forcing a disciple to work for more than a decade with little or no pay.

Defense lawyers portrayed it as a case about labor law, while an Opus Dei spokeswoman says the plaintiff in a Paris court chose of her own free will to follow the group.

But the trial is expected to shine a spotlight on the secretive group's practices. Dan Brown's bestseller "The Da Vinci Code" painted Opus Dei as a murderous, power-hungry sect, a portrayal the group vigorously protested.

Opus Dei's founder, Spanish priest Jose Maria Escriva de Balaguer, was made a saint by Pope John Paul II.

The trial came after a legal complaint by Catherine Tissier, who was 14 when she joined the Donson hotel school in eastern France, where the religious sacraments were led by Opus Dei.

Under the guidance of a "spiritual director," she gradually chose to follow Opus Dei's spiritual path and began working as a "numerary assistant."

"I was working from seven o'clock in the morning to ten o'clock in the evening every day, seven days a week. The three weeks of holidays we had were spent with Opus Dei, where they thought us theology and pursued in-depth studies on the spirit of the (Opus Dei) founder," Tissier told The Associated Press.

She said she got paycheck each month, but was asked to sign blank checks by her employers and never saw the money.

She described being encouraged to keep her parents at bay, and being diagnosed with depression. A doctor, whom she said was an Opus Dei follower, put her on medication.

"I wasn't able to eat by myself, I couldn't even wash by myself, my head was hard to keep straight. Regardless of that, I still had the same workload in the Donson school," she said.

At age 29, she weighed just 39 kilograms (86 pounds). During a weekend visit to her parents' home, they took her to see their family doctor, who said she shouldn't go back.

"I started to live when I was 30. I started going out, I had never been to the movies," Tissier says.

She first filed a lawsuit in 2001 accusing Opus Dei of "mental manipulation." Those charges were later dismissed.

After a decade of investigation, two Opus Dei followers and the association that employed her are going on trial on charges of "clandestine work" and "remuneration contrary to dignity."

"This isn't a crusade against Opus Dei, that's not what's at stake," her lawyer Rodolphe Bosselut said. His client wants compensation and for Opus Dei to "review the status of the numerary assistant," a job he called "dysfunctional."

Thierry Laugier, a lawyer for ACUTE, the association that employed Tissier at the hotel, said the case revolves solely around an alleged breach of labor law.

Beatrice de la Coste, spokeswoman for Opus Dei in France, said, "Catherine Tessier was an employee at the hotel school, she was of course in contact with Opus Dei and she chose that spiritual path."

As of 2005, Opus Dei had 4,000 numerary assistants, all women, whose full-time, paid jobs are to care for the Opus centers, doing laundry, cleaning and cooking for the numeraries and priests who live there, according to the book "Opus Dei: Secrets and Power Inside the Catholic Church," by John Allen.

Allen cites critics of the numerary assistants, who say they are recruited from poorer classes to do long hours of manual labor and are told it's a vocation from God to give up marrying or having children in order to serve Opus Dei.

__

Nicole Winfield in Rome contributed to this report.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holy Blood, Holy Grail
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

Virtual slavery from the time she was 14 years old. Brainwashi­ng in the name of the GOD that Opus Dei claims to believe in, but only when it suits its purposes.  In other words - Opus Dei is a cult.
Report Spam   Logged
Rose Line

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:53 am »

Therein lies the danger when one is involved with a cult.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: