Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:58:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Art for Art's sake not, for Pete's Sake

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Art for Art's sake not, for Pete's Sake  (Read 12107 times)
Prentiss Grant

« Reply #360 on: December 25, 2007, 05:44:04 pm »

An interesting mix of styles and mediums.  Were you influenced by any of the classical artists, or simply comic book artists?
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2007, 10:27:05 am »

Hi Prentiss

Well, I wasn't exposed to a lot of classical art when I was growing up. But all the art that I did see was undoubtedly influenced by classical art. So I guess the answer is yes. I am not big on modern abstract art... although surrealism  can be cool. I like the early impressionist painters like Monet, Lasotte. I think Goghan is overrated. I have great respect for the rennaisance masters, like Da Vinci and Michaelanglo. I don't know a lot about the Classical period of art although I think Greek and Roman sculptures is, depending upon the period absolutely fabulous. I like the Hudson school here in the americas and the dutch masters for there lighting and realism. I think some of the greatest artists are relatively unknown like Durer and Mucha.

Thanks for asking
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:45:26 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Horus

« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2007, 11:06:40 am »

I think some of the greatest artists are relatively unknown like Durer and Mucha.

Dürer is quite famous but Mucha's claim to fame as an Art Nouveau commercial artist puts him in a "lower" echelon according to the fine art elitist snobs!  Comic and fantasy artists like Mike Kaluta and Quinton Hoover were influenced heavily by Mucha, and Adam Hughes did some nice covers in his style for Alan Moore's "Voodoo" mini-series. 

Exactly right, Uknown; if we want to trace the family tree of influences back we go to paleolithic chalk drawings in caves.

Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2007, 05:41:21 pm »

Hi Horus

I absolutely agree that Mucha's infleunce on the art world was tremendous. I don't understand that... about snobbing commercial art. The way I see it, even the great Michaelanglo was a commercial artist, after all he was supposed to get paid for painting the ceiling of the Cisteen Chapel. Although, if memory serves the payments were always late and never in full. Thats what the art world is still like... lol.
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2007, 05:53:01 pm »

There are  SNOBS in every profession......

How about some new 'stuff', Unk, romantic Mucha style.....

Flowers are some of my favorite things.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2007, 02:04:06 am »

Hi Bianca

I have been planning on bring my drafting table downstairs were I can use it, it makes it so much easier to draw... I will see if I can do something with a Mucha flavor, I just love scroll work, etc.

I don't know when I will be able to get it done though... I have been pretty busy lately.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #366 on: January 04, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »

I think some of the greatest artists are relatively unknown like Durer and Mucha.

Dürer is quite famous but Mucha's claim to fame as an Art Nouveau commercial artist puts him in a "lower" echelon according to the fine art elitist snobs!  Comic and fantasy artists like Mike Kaluta and Quinton Hoover were influenced heavily by Mucha, and Adam Hughes did some nice covers in his style for Alan Moore's "Voodoo" mini-series. 

Exactly right, Uknown; if we want to trace the family tree of influences back we go to paleolithic chalk drawings in caves.

Welcome back Horus.
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:28 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Horus

« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2008, 11:21:14 pm »

Welcome back Horus.

Thankyou! 

Great sketch, unknown!  Looks like the fine basis for an ink and watercolor rendering.  But I'm not that skinny!  Can't you put some meat on those bones? ;-)
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2008, 09:52:44 am »

Thanks Horus

Does it look like you? I think I am going to do another one, it's not exactly what I wanted.
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2008, 10:07:07 am »

Hi, Unk!

I stumbled on this during my 'roamings' over in Italy and I thought of you:

http://blog.libero.it/LycanBlogger/3938336.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:10:13 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2008, 11:07:02 am »

That is SIIIICK, Bianca!  Who's the artist?
Report Spam   Logged

Reading 3253-2
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:59 am »

Hi Bianca

Great painting, I love it! It reminds me of a horror/fantasy story I have been meaning to write... The Bearclaw.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:00:28 pm by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:47 pm »

It's from here, Horus.  I was researching ROMAN RELIGION.......

http://blog.libero.it/LycanBlogger/3938336.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought you might like it, Unk!
Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2008, 11:18:25 am »

That artist is Kekai Kotaki.  Here's a few more:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/xia/artist_kekai.html

http://kekai-kotaki.com/

-H

Report Spam   Logged

Reading 3253-2
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: