Atlantis Online
December 03, 2020, 05:48:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

‘Captain America’: Ed Brubaker and the salvation of Bucky Barnes [updated]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Captain America’: Ed Brubaker and the salvation of Bucky Barnes [updated]  (Read 486 times)
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« on: August 20, 2011, 10:51:06 pm »

Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan in "Captain America: The First Avenger." (Paramount / Marvel Studios)

GB: The creative team behind “Captain America: The First Avenger” not only used your take on Bucky, they made it clear that without the benefit of your mythology the character probably gets ejected from the adaptation. What goes through your head when you hear that?
Captain America and Bucky #620 (Marvel)

(Marvel)

EB: To bring Bucky back as Winter Soldier and have him become the most popular Marvel character since Deadpool and Wolverine is insane. I mean, that’s insane. You remember in “Captain America” No. 6 when the bad guy was [revealed to be] Bucky? We were terrified. People were angry — “I’m never reading comics again” — and then somehow we won all those people over, to the point that recently when we brought Steve Rogers back we heard, “Well Steve better not become Captain America again because I like Bucky better.” These are the same people that got mad that we brought Bucky back. The whole thing is insane and great.

GB: Bucky died and Captain America survived. That was the shorthand history of the character for decades.  He also wasn’t especially interesting for many years, he was more mascot than character. Would you disagree about any of that?

EB: I had always liked his character because I had read those “Tales of Suspense” issues — the ones that were Iron Man story and half Captain America wartime story — and Bucky was always running around with a machine gun. He didn’t look like a little kid like he did in the comics in the 1940s. The funny things is in the [pre-code era] comics of the 1940s he was actually more [of a bad guy] running around with a flamethrower and dropping atom bombs on people. [Marvel executive editor] Tom Brevoort told me that every third cover in the ’40s it was Cap and Bucky parachuting into enemy territory and Cap is holding his shield while Bucky is the one unloading with multiple machine guns on anybody below. Bucky was more of the [bad guy] of the two. I started looking at it that way as I built his character.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: