Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 01:03:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

‘Captain America’: Ed Brubaker and the salvation of Bucky Barnes [updated]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Captain America’: Ed Brubaker and the salvation of Bucky Barnes [updated]  (Read 967 times)
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« on: August 20, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »

GB: When you hatched a plan that would actually follow through with that youthful aspiration, what were the roadblocks?

EB: Tom and I argued about it a lot and in the end decided it would work as long we didn’t invalidate what Stan and Jack [Kirby, the co-creator of "Captain America" in the 1940s and Lee's collaborator on the 1960s revival]. That’s why we made it that he did blow up and he did die in that water but then he was brought back to life. And then it became this crazy sort of “Bourne Identity” thing. I did a bunch of research into things the Russians were actually trying to do in real life to create super-soldiers. I stumbled upon Department X and it’s funny because Marvel had done all this stuff with the Red Room and Black Widow and all the various Russian mutants but they had never used Department X as a reference point. I made Department X the thing that oversaw everything because in real life they were really trying to build cyber-men and all this crazy stuff.

GB: So Bucky lost an arm; was that a nod to the old story — a gesture of sacrifice? It also adds a bit “Six Million Dollar Man” to it.

EB: Yeah, you had to show he was really blown up. He had to lose an arm or something. And I was thinking of “Six Million Dollar Man” more than anything. I wasn’t thinking about Deathlok or Cable or Bishop or any of these Marvel characters that have that arm with the [metallic] ridges. We could make a team of all these guys someday.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: