Atlantis Online
April 16, 2024, 04:25:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'Spider-Man' At Comic-Con: Andrew Garfield's Speech Video

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Spider-Man' At Comic-Con: Andrew Garfield's Speech Video  (Read 80 times)
Flash
Superhero Member

« on: July 24, 2011, 03:10:10 am »

'Spider-Man' At Comic-Con: Andrew Garfield's Speech Video, 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Costume Surprise (VIDEO)

Spider-Man isn't supposed to publicly reveal his identity, but in this case, Andrew Garfield's earnestness made him a superhero all his own.

The star of the upcoming big screen reboot, "The Amazing Spider-Man," Garfield rushed to the microphone at the film's panel at Comic-Con on Friday, clad head to toe in a cheap, Halloween-style Spidey costume. He began his speech with a bit of a freak out, in an American accent, before ripping off the mask to reveal -- to a wild crowd ovation -- that he was the man they were all there to see.

Then, Garfield launched into a heartfelt speech -- in his real British accent -- about what the film meant to him, and how appreciative he was of the fan support:

"Stan Lee says that the reason why Spidey is so popular is because all of us can relate to him, and I agree. I needed Spidey in my life when I was a kid, and he gave me hope. In every comic I read, he was living out my and every skinny boy's fantasy of being stronger, of being free of the body I was born into, and that swinging sensation of flight. And upon receiving his power, unlike most who have become corrupted, he used it for good. And I think that we all wish we had the courage to stick up for ourselves more, to stick up for a loved one more, or even a stranger you see being mistreated, and Peter Parker has inspired me to feel stronger. He made me, Andrew, braver. He reassured me that by doing the right thing, it's worth it. It's worth the struggle, it's worth the pain, it's worth even the tears, the bruises, and the blood."

You can read the whole speech over at Vulture.

That wasn't just pandering to the audience; Garfield has made similar statements before.

Garfield lent an epic tone to the film, too, once he was on stage and taking questions.

"We're approaching this like it's Shakespeare, like a Greek myth, these comic book characters are our modern myths," he said (again, via FirstShowing.net, where you can find an excellent live blog of the whole event). "We still want to see our favorite characters on the big screen, and in 3D I might add. So for me it's just another chapter in the long history of a comic book story that means so much to so many people."

The crew also revealed new footage from the film, covering both Peter Parker in high school and in his enhanced, post-bite costumed body. The scenes include Emma Stone as love interest Gwen Stacy, Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben, Sally Field as Aunt May and Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curt Connors. In one, Parker gets chided for his crush by Uncle Ben; in another, we see him struggling with his new powers, as well as building his new web launchers and getting chased by the police.

For detailed description, click over to HitFix.com.

WATCH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_nHhlBFs2k&feature=player_embedded#t=0s
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: