Atlantis Online
July 15, 2024, 10:15:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Images from the Cuban Site

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Images from the Cuban Site  (Read 5308 times)
Dru
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 03:50:27 am »

The image to the left was cropped from the NOAA world topographic relief map and was Brightness/Contrast Enhanced to help distinguish details. The image shows a line coming from the area West of the Bermuda Island and proceeding to the Andros Island chain where it abruptly ends.
Report Spam   Logged

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
- Plato
Dru
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 03:51:31 am »

The image to the left also shows the same area with a red line overlaid on top of the existing underwater line. The red line turns into white where the line is visibly implied to reveal a direct alignment with the area to the West of the Cuba Island where a sunken city has been found. Read more about the Cuban underwater city in Andrew Collins' special report: 'LOST CITY' FOUND OFF CUBA - IS IT PROOF OF ATLANTIS?
Report Spam   Logged

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
- Plato
Dru
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:49 am »

Notice in the close-up of the North East Providence Channel that the lines seem to be split with one line on top of the other. The bottom line is the line that leads directly into the North East Providence Channel of the Bahamas. Notice the channel is around the same depth as the lines, over 2000 ft deep.

http://www.satellitediscoveries.com/discoveries/line_network/cuba.html
Report Spam   Logged

- Plato
George Erikson

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 12:16:24 pm »

Artemis,

Re the Cuban megalithic site, I was in Merida last March with the producers of National Geographic TV to interview Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig. Through a series of mishaps the driver who was to take me to Paulina's house (they live In Merida now) never showed up.  The producers  were loath to come cross town and get me beacuse they had only a few hours to film an interview with Paulina. The interview went badly, I was told, because Paulina was unaccustomed  to repeating the Director's question in her answer.  A lot of answers were "Yes" and "no", which can be okay in print interviews, but is useless in TV documentary format. 

I'm trying to find out what the NGS plans.

AtlantisInAmerica.com
Report Spam   Logged
Artemis
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 06:14:49 pm »

Hi George,

It's really unfortunate that you never got the chance to meet with Zelitsky and compare notes.  Still, you've seen the images from the first page of this thread of what is underwater.  What is your opinon of them?

I read someplace that Greg Little considers them nothing more than dumped concrete following the Cuban Missile Crisis, or words to that effect.
Report Spam   Logged
Greg Little

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 05:29:08 pm »

The images immediately looked to me like "stand-up" concrete sections used in fast massive building constructions. I'm very familiar with that method because that's how modern prisons are built. I saw a seam in one of the images. Then I spoke with Andrew Collins, who had seen all of the film that Zelitsky took.

Research showed that during the 1961 Cuban missile crisis that the Soviets agreed to return the missles to the USSR, and deconstruct the concrete silos. The missile bases were primarily on the extreme end of Cuba toward the Yucatan.

The military port the Soviets used was just to the North of the area of interest, and the Soviet ships went around the extreme end of Cuba, and under Cuba back to the Atlantic.

I could not find references to where the Soviets put the concrete slabs used to make the silos, and I read that they were removed. Because they are cheaper to dump than return home, I reasoned that thy may have been dumped in the first deep water available to them...and that's where Zelitsky found this.

That was my reasoning. I hope I'm wrong.

But the most telling thing is that only a small bit of the video images has been released. And given that the area is 10 miles square, I think that if the side-scan sonar had shown huge areas with uniform structures on the bottom, we'd be shown more than the same images over and over. Everyone shows their best and most impressive images.

In any event, I do hope I'm wrong.

Greg Little
Report Spam   Logged
Artemis
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 11:53:28 pm »

Hi Greg,

That analysis sounds perfectly sound to me, Greg, and, as you said it, it is telling that they only released a small part of the footage (from years ago).

However, you did mention that Andrew Collins saw the whole footage, what is his opinion?

Also,  why the hold up towards further expeditions?
Report Spam   Logged
Greg Little

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 11:50:50 am »

Andrew was shown the footage in hopes he would sort of confirm the artificiality of it publically. But he signed a confidentiality agreement. That's all I know there.

As for why something more hasn't happened, one can only speculate from some facts.

The project ADC was doing was to find around a few hundred billion dollars worth of gold looted by the Spanish and lost on ships. That was the initial Cuban contract with them. The boat had some problems requiring big money.

I'm fairly certain that the National Geographic and other potential documentary makers have seen the entire film and the entire sonar data. You'll have to guess as to why these people have pulled out or declined to do more. In any event, I'm fairly certain that sooner or later something else will be done.

I'd be quite happy if it turned out to be the ruins of pyramids and a city. I'd say, "damn" if it was actually concrete slabs and other dumped cargo.

Report Spam   Logged
Artemis
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »

Greg, thanks for the information  It's interesting that Andrew Collins hasn't verified it's authenticity of it publicly, since he has theorized Cuba to be Atlantis.  Then, this area of Cuba was never part of his theories anyway, was it?

National Geographic may well have seen the whole footage, but I do remember the footage on one of their Atlantis documentaries (which you were on as well) and they had the opportunity to take some shots at it and didn't.  Cuba has also shown up on a more recent NG documentary, too, dealing with Atlantis.

I know it is in a deep area of water, but I am just baffled why some robot submersible hasn't been sent down to photograph it, as has recently been used at Cyprus for Robert Sarmast's expedition.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 01:18:22 am »

Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
© 2002 by Linda Moulton Howe

A half mile down in the waters of Cabo de San Antonio off the western tip of Cuba's Guanahacabibes marked by red X is a 20-kilometer square area of clean, white sand punctuated by tall, megalithic stones or structures first reported in May 2001 by Paulina Zelitsky, Ocean Engineer, Havana, Cuba.

"They (megalithic stones) are very unique structures. They really are not easy to understand and I do not have any easy explanation for them in a natural geological process."
     — Manuel Iturralde-Vinent, Ph.D., Geologist,
        National Museum of Natural History, Havana, Cuba

July 10, 2002 Havana, Cuba ­ A year ago in May 2001, I first reported at Earthfiles.com the startling comments made by ocean engineer, Paulina Zelitsky in Havana, Cuba about her finding earlier in 2000 "possibly a sunken city built in the pre-classic period and populated by an advanced civilization similar to the early Teotihuacan culture of Yucatan. ...Researchers using sonar equipment have discovered at a depth of about 2,200 feet (700-800 meters) a huge land plateau with clear images of what appears to be urban development partly covered by sand. From above, the shapes resemble pyramids, roads and buildings."

Original high resolution sidescan sonar
received by the EXPLORAMAR expedition
in 2000 directed by Paulina Zelitsky and
Paul Weinzweig, Owners, Advanced Digital
Communications (ADC) of Victoria, British
Columbia and Havana, Cuba. Image © 2000
by ADC and used with permission.

Since then, I have interviewed Paulina and her husband, Paul Weinzweig, several times about the evolution of their research and goal to get a specially built robot down to the megalithic site which could have lights for videotaping and drilling equipment to sample from the megalithic stone structures. The couple operates the Advanced Digital Communications known as ADC in Canada and Havana which contracts to perform deep ocean research.

Originally, ADC had hoped to have a robot on the ocean floor by the summer of 2002, but its cost of $2 million has been an obstacle. So far, the National Geographic Society continues to express interest in adding its resources and media production efforts to the exploration, but to date no official contract has been signed. So, Paulina and Paul have taken on other assignments to pay bills while periodically sending remote operated vehicles known as ROVs down to pick up small rocks that lay on thick sand around the large megalithic stone "structures."

Some of those samples have gone to geologist Manuel Iturralde-Vinent, Ph.D., who works for Cuba's National Museum of Natural History in Havana. Since early spring 2002, Dr. Iturralde-Vinent has studied side-scan sonar images and videotape from the half-mile-deep site and has concluded that he cannot assign a completely natural geological explanation for the large, rectangular-shaped rocks that stand up on a vast, white field of deep sand spread over 20 square kilometers. However, he is waiting for the first analyses of rock samples expected around July 19th. Until then, he is reserving opinion about the composition of the megalithic structures. However, Paulina Zelitsky describes the structures are polished granite not indigenous to either Cuba or the Yucatan.

This week I talked with both Paulina Zelitsky and Dr. Iturralde-Vinent about their current research and theories about what might have happened off the extreme northwestern Cuba peninsula known as Guanahacabibes.

Interviews:

Paulina Zelitsky at her computer in Havana
studying a pyramidal-shaped stone videotaped
at the half mile deep site in July 2001 by her
ADC remote operated vehicle (ROV).
Photograph © 2001 by ADC with permission.

Paulina Zelitsky, Ocean Engineer, Advanced Digital Communications, Havana, Cuba: "Samples that we recovered from the ocean bottom have justified our structures that we call megalithic structures. The samples are granite stone, completely polished, with some incrustations of fossils. Fossils of organic creatures that normally live on the surface, not on the ocean bottom. This is very interesting because this is evidence that the whole surface sank to the depth of 700 meters (2,297 feet, or about a half mile down).

The area has been seismically active for thousands of years. And what we find on the ocean bottom are fractures from which the magma and volcanic ash came out. From these structures we were able to delineate a configuration of the land that sank because you can see them clearly. The land that sank is very obvious from our image of the ocean bottom. And you can see bays, like harbors, and it's all at the depths of 900 and 700 meters.

Geologically, does Dr. Iturralde-Vinent and others have any idea what happened volcanically? Was it one large eruption or series of eruptions?

Series of eruptions and as he is saying, it is still active. A series of eruptions that created major tectonic movement to such a degree that land is sinking. For example, Cuba has sank and re-emerged a couple of times! But that was long ago, geologically. Now, what happened more recently geologically is that land sank that joined to Yucatan ­ islands between Yucatan and Cuba, they sank.

Also, geologically and botanically in terms of organic life, Yucatan and Cuba ­ the extreme northwestern part of Cuba which is Peninsula Guanahacabibes (Gwan-uh-cah-BEE-buh) are completely identical. Completely identical. It's the same limestone and the same organic life and the same botanic and animal represented. It's very obvious that land that was joining that is now on ocean bottom is land that was joining Yucatan and Cuba. But this land was sinking because of tectonic movement which were occurring. Of course, earthquakes and volcanoes were accompanying the tectonic movements. Tectonic movement is not something that moves softly. It is always accompanied by dramatic volcano and earthquake activity.

But we saw on ocean bottom where the bays and coastal lines of the island that sank. We think there was a series of islands between Cuba and the Yucatan. There could have been sinking 15,000 years ago.

One area between the fractures. Not on the fractures. It is between the fractures that was left undisturbed and just sank flat without fractures. On this area, we can observe those megalithic structures, or constructions. And they have completely different and independent delineation from geological faults, from our geology of the sunken land, or the geology of island Cuba. Completely independent delineation of their own.

As if they came from some place else?

We don't know yet. But it obviously didn't come from Cuba. That's one thing. The stone we recovered from ocean bottom is very polished granite. All of the peninsula of northwest part of Cuba, all of this peninsula is limestone, very fractured limestone. So, geologically, it (megalithic granite structures) is totally foreign to Cuba. But it's also not known in Yucatan because Yucatan is also limestone, not granite. Granite is found only in the center of Mexico.

It covers approximately a beautiful, beautiful, flat, clean area. Nothing else in this area. And it covers approximately 20 square kilometers of this area. It's flat, completely flat. Huge white silicon field. In the middle of all of that are these megalithic structures surfacing out of it.

What is the scientific consensus so far about how 20 square kilometers could get down a half mile?

The whole island sank. Probably what we think happened is that Cuba and Yucatan at one historical time were both joined. But little by little, this land was fractured into islands and sank to the ocean bottom. So, the land on which we discovered megalithic structures sank somewhere between 15,000 and maybe 50,000 years ago, which is quite recent geologically.

What for you is the next most important step you can take to collect one or more samples directly from the megalithic structures?

I wouldn't be able to do any serious work without a robot that is working on the ocean floor because I need stability in order to be able to make an opening in the megalithic structures. We need to make an opening to enter. National Geographic is interested in investigating the site with submersibles. So that might be another opportunity.

Do the submersibles have the ability to drill into stone?

No. Submersibles don't. They just have the ability to observe with human eyes.

Or videotape.

Or video camera, yeah. But it must be operated by humans.

If you can get the special robot constructed and down there that costs $2 million, you would be able to photograph with good light and be able to drill into a megalithic structure?

Oh, yes. I would be able to make opening and enter inside the structures. What I am the most interested in doing is to enter inside because if there are some artifacts, they should be inside the structures and not outside.

Then if National Geographic, or other interested organization, can get funding together, you might be able to go forward full time on research and get the robot down to both photograph and drill into the structures?

Yes, that's right. And discover a completely new page in our history."

Manuel Iturralde-Vinent, Ph.D., Geologist, National Museum of Natural History, Havana, Cuba, who presented a scientific paper about the deep water megalithic structures in March 2002 at an International Geophysical meeting in Havana: "I do not yet know if the megalithic structures are granite. I have been working with the data provided by Paulina for three months and I have been observing the side-scan sonar images, the video images with some samples recovered from different places within the area with the megalithic stones and also from an area located to the south of this region.

My impression is first that the structures that are in the megalithic area at the 600 to 700 meter depths, I cannot explain these structures by any geological means right now. So, I am not sure that I can find a geological explanation for the origin of these structures.

So I'm clear ­ the structures don't fit into any natural explanation currently?

Yeah, we think that in natural geological terms, I cannot give a logical explanation now. So, I am not telling that they are artificial, but what I say is right now I don't have a good explanation as to the origin by natural cause of these structures. They might have an artificial origin. But in this case, we are opening into a very interesting situation because given the depth of this structures and if we calculate the timing when these might have been uplifted, it will take us up to 50,000 years ago. (Meaning, when the land mass now down a half mile might have been above sea level.)

This is if we follow the rules of the normal tectonic movement as we have been recording them in the past 100 years in Cuba. But these figures are well known in the world. More or less, the sea floor can move down as quickly as 16 millimeters a year. That's one of the very interesting issues that are related to this discovery.

Meaning that the area is still active seismically and you are seeing that parts of Cuba are still sinking.

Current geological knowledge and data indicates that the area is still very active and sinking even now. We are not done with this research. We need to still do more research, collect more samples, provide more observation to be sure about what we are talking about. But something is very safe to say now is that we are not dealing with blocks that have been falling down from the slope. They (megalithic stones) are very unique structures. They really are not easy to understand and I do not have any easy explanation for them in a natural geological process. That's my conclusion now. I need more time and more data before going forward."

More Information:

If any organizations or individuals are interested in helping fund the several million dollars needed to accomplish the deep underwater research of the Cuban megalithic site, Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig suggest writing to:

Sylvia Earle,
Explorer-In-Resident
National Geographic Society
1145 17th Street N. W.
Washington, D.C. 20036

© 2002 by Linda Moulton Howe
All Rights Reserved.
earthfiles@earthfiles.com

http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Greg Little

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

"It's interesting that Andrew Collins hasn't verified it's authenticity of it publicly, since he has theorized Cuba to be Atlantis.  Then, this area of Cuba was never part of his theories anyway, was it?"

Andy does believe that Cuba formed the main island of Atlantis. He believed that the Isle of Pines or Isle of Youth was perhaps the best place to look, and it is not too far from the Zelitsky site.

Andrew is now most impressed with the site we identified via satellite images and research in articles: the Zapata Peninsula. We will go there, if politics change a bit, and we'll also take a look at the Zelitsky site..
Report Spam   Logged
Artemis
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 08:16:49 pm »

Greg,

In another thread, you mentioned that AUTEC knows the truth about the Cuban site. Are you sure about that, and, if so, what might that truth be?  I would think that it would have slipped out by this time (from someone) that the site wasn't credible at this point, as it has been nearly six years since it's discovery.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 06:02:20 pm »

Atlantis in the West Indies

Having reached this far, it now seems certain that Plato's Atlantis was thought to have been located on the western Atlantic seaboard, plausibly in the vicinity of the Hesperides, the ancient name for the Caribbean. This seems affirmed in the Commentaries on the Timaeus of Plato by Proclus Daidochus, a philosopher, poet and scientist of the fifth century AD. Among the evidence he presents for the existence of Atlantis are fragments from a book entitled Ethiopic History by Marcellus, a Greek geographer who lived around 100 BC. He had asserted that `in the external sea':

… there were seven islands … in their times, sacred to Proserpine, and also three others of an immense extent, one of which was sacred to Pluto, another to Ammon, and the middle of these to Neptune [the Roman name for Poseidon], the magnitude of which was a thousand stadia [184 kilometres]. They also add, that the inhabitants of it preserved the remembrance from their ancestors, of the Atlantic island which existed there, and was truly prodigiously great; which for many periods had dominion over all the islands in the Atlantic Sea, and was itself likewise sacred to Neptune.

As long ago as 1962, historical writer Geoffrey Ashe associated Marcellus' seven islands sacred to Proserpine with the principal islands of the Lesser Antilles. He also went on to identify the three islands of `immense extent' as Cuba, Hispaniola - which includes Haiti and the Dominican Republic - and Puerto Rico. The middle of the three, Hispaniola, was, he said, `approximately a thousand stadia - i.e. a hundred miles [160 kilometres] or a little over - from side to side'.

As we have seen, in the Timaeus Plato tells us that the Atlantic island was situated within easy reach of 'other islands' that acted like stepping stones for ancient voyagers wishing to reach 'the opposite continent'. Such terminology could not describe the island chains of the Caribbean more accurately. The islands, banks, reefs and cays that stretch from Central America towards the Greater Antilles form a near continuous chain. Similarly, the Bahamas provide a stepping-stone route that links Florida with Cuba and Hispaniola. Moreover, myths and legends from all over the Caribbean and Bahamas talk of a former age when the archipelagos were one single landmass that split apart, leaving only the islands and cays we see today, following an almighty cataclysm involving a sudden inundation of the sort described by Plato in his Atlantis account. Other more detailed stories speak of this event occurring after either the `ole moon broke' from its position or a fiery serpent fell from the sky.

That Atlantis might have been located in the Caribbean is a revolutionary idea, although it is by no means now. Before the publication in 1882 of Atlantis - The Antediluvian World by ex-US congressman Ignatius Donnelly, which promoted the view that Atlantis was a now sunken landmass in the Mid-Atlantic, many historians had come to this same conclusion. In fact, the idea that Atlantis was Hispaniola would appear to have been first proposed as early as 1798 by Italian scholar Paul Cabrera, (it has been tackled again more recently by Emilio Spedicato, the Professor of Operations Research at Bergamo University). It Cabrera's opinion:

I am confirmed in my selection of this island [i.e. Hispaniola] from among the many dispersed throughout the Atlantic, not only on account of its position and magnitude exceeding all the others, but also, from its fertility and numerous navigable rivers…

Let us examine Cabrera's statements to see whether he is justified in making such assertions. Plato informs us that `the district [of Atlantis] as a whole, so I have heard, was of great elevation and its coast precipitous', suitably describing Hispaniola's mountainous coastline. However, the island would have had no strategic importance to ancient seafarers. Neighbouring Cuba, on the other hand, has a large number of lobe-like bays along its coast, making it a better choice for the establishment of ports or places of refuge. Furthermore, Cuba's coastal waters guard both the northerly and southerly entrances into the Gulf of Mexico, making it an ideal staging post for maritime journeys to Mexico and the Gulf coast of North America. In addition to this, by using the Bahaman and Mid-Caribbean island chains a vessel can easily travel from Cuba to the coast of Florida and the Mosquito Coast of Nicaragua. It was for these reasons that soon after the time of the Conquest Cuba became known to Spanish explorers as the `Key to the New World'. There is no way that Hispaniola can be awarded this same title, suggesting that Cabrera might have got it wrong.

Cabrera also claimed that Hispaniola was in `magnitude exceeding all the others'. This is blatantly untrue. At around 640 kilometres in length and 256 kilometres in width, Hispaniola is around two-thirds the size of neighbouring Cuba.

In addition to these points, Cabrera further adds that Hispaniola was the most important of the islands because of its `fertility'. Once again, this is completely false. Because the island is dominated by extensive mountain ranges that engulf much of the island, crop cultivation is difficult. It is Cuba that is the most fertile island of the Caribbean. Its fertile plains produce the tobacco for Havana's famous cigars. Moreover, they once produced more sugar cane than any other country. With the help of Cuba's rich red calcareous loam, its cane yields a higher content of sugar than anywhere else other than Mexico, a fact that led to it becoming known as the `Pearl of the Antilles'.

Lastly, it is not only Hispaniola that has extensive `navigable rivers'. Cuba also has a series of mighty rivers that cut deep into the interior of the country and rise in the central mountain ranges.

All this suggests that if Atlantis was located in the Caribbean, then it addition to Hispaniola, Cuba becomes an even more likely candidate for the same title (Emilio Spedicato's own points in favour of Hispaniola being Atlantis are discussed in GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS). So which of these great islands might have been the true location of lost Atlantis?
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 06:03:46 pm »

Cuba as Atlantis

According to Plato, `around the city [of Atlantis] was a plain, enclosing it and itself enclosed in turn by mountain ranges which came right down to the sea. The plain itself was smooth, level, and of a generally oblong shape; it stretched for three thousand stadia [552 kilometres] in one direction, and, at its centre [i.e. a line drawn north-south through the centre of the plain], for two thousand [368 kilometres] inland from the coast. All through the island this level district faced the south and was thus screened from the cold northerly winds.'

This description of a great plain surrounded to the east, north and west by `mountain ranges', matches almost exactly Cuba's western plain which stretches all the way from Havana westwards to Pinar del Río and is enclosed on its northern and western extremes by the Cord de Guaniguanico mountain range. We also know that until around 9,000 years ago the plain extended southwards, across what is today the Bay of Batabanó, to the Isle of Youth. Here then is evidence of a vast plain, originally 540 by 160 kilometres in extent, drowned, at least in part, during the time-frame provided by Plato.

Cuba's Cord de Guaniguanico might also be compared with the `mountain ranges' that Plato tells us shielded Atlantis' great plain from `cold northerly winds'. Between November and February each year, Cuba is subject to bitterly cold north winds, known as los nortes, or 'northers', that blow in blizzards from the eastern United States. Although these cold fronts reach exposed regions of the Cuban landmass, the Cord de Guaniguanico completely shields the western plain from these harsh winds, which would otherwise damage winter crops.

There seems little question that if Atlantis is one of the main Caribbean islands then Cuba is the best candidate by far. Moreover, there are also other reasons for considering that Cuba is Atlantis.

As we have seen, there is every likelihood that the core material for the Atlantis myth was carried back to the ancient world by Iberic Phoenician, and later Carthaginians, who visited the West Indies and Gulf coast in the first millennium BC. After the fall of Carthage in 147 BC the former Carthaginian territories were occupied by seafaring Berber tribes who accompanied the Moors when they invaded Spain in the eighth century AD. They would appear to have preserved the idea of a western isle lying far out in the ocean. They called it Antilia, a name that can be shown to derive from atl, the Semitic word root from which is also derived the name 'Atlantis'. Well-known geographers, such as William H. Babcock, have identified Antilia as Cuba, while the appearance of this legendary island on medieval maps matches very well a truncated form of Cuba found on the Turkish Piri Reis map of 1513. In 1966, Professor Charles Hapgood of Keene University determined that this nautical chart was derived originally from a patchwork of source maps that pre-dated Columbus' initial voyage to the New World. As a consequence, Hapgood concluded that Cuba must have been 'well known in Europe before the first voyage of Columbus'.

Once again this would seem to confirm that Cuba was very much connected with the early source material behind the construction of Plato's Atlantean island. There is also evidence to this effect from the mythological traditions of the indigenous peoples that inhabited Central America at the time of the Conquest.

The founders of various Mesoamerican royal dynasties were said to have arrived on the mainland from an island set in the waters located beyond the eastern horizon. Among these great civilisers was Quetzalcoatl, the god of the Toltec peoples of Central Mexico. There is every reason to suppose that this island homeland was one of the principal Caribbean islands, and some traditions record that it was Cuba. Its blood-red lateritic soil, which dominates the great western plain, accounts for the name given to Quetzalcoatl's original homeland - Huehue Tlapallan, the `old, old red land'.

Located on this island homeland was said to have been a place of emergence of the human race referred to in the accounts of the Aztec of Mexico and Quiché-Maya of Guatemala as the Seven Caves. The only location in the Caribbean that has been found to match this description is Ceuva # 1 of the `seven caves' complex at Punta del Este on Cuba's Isle of Youth. The walls of this prehistoric Sistine Chapel are adorned which dozens of beautiful petroglyphs of a celestial nature drawn by an unknown race several thousand years ago.

The ancestors of the Mesoamerican peoples are said to have emerged from the Seven Caves and later founded seven clans and seven cities. There seems to be every reason to conclude that this tradition might well be the root behind the Portuguese medieval belief in the existence of the Island of the Seven Cities, another name for the island of Antilia, the medieval form of Atlantis.

In the eighteenth century Friar Ramon de Ordoñez y Aguilar, canon of the cathedral town of Ciudad-Réal in Chiapas, told the odyssey of a Central American culture hero named Votan. He was said to have come out of the east from a land called Valum Chivim and, before journeying on to the Yucatán, settled on an island named Valum Votan, identified by Ordoñez as Cuba. Evidence presented in GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS suggests that Votan was the memory of a Bronze Age Iberic Phoenician seafarer who made no less than four transatlantic voyages to Americas as early as 2000 BC. Here then is yet another example of how knowledge of Cuba's topography might well have entered the classical world prior to Plato's age.

In conclusion, there seems good reason to assume that it was Cuba, and not Hispaniola, that was of the greatest importance not only to seafarers from the Mediterranean world, but also to the early ancestors of the Mesoamerican peoples.

http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/secretloc/cuba.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 06:05:13 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: