Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:00:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What do Human Beings Owe Each Other..?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do Human Beings Owe Each Other..?  (Read 5762 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 17, 2007, 04:04:49 am »

John F. Kennedy once said, "Our most basic link is that we are all mortal, we all cherish our children's future, and we all breathe the same air."

It was a clarion call to reach an understanding with our enemies, and yet, I will use it now in a different way.

Yes, we are all mortal, all flawed, with each of us filled with equal parts the stuff that makes good and evil.

Our capacity for charity is only matched by our potential for greed.

Our ability to to help is only matched by our capacity to do harm.

Our mortal souls just as easily turned into sinners as saints.

Is our most basic link that we are all mortal, do we all breathe the same air?

What obligation do we have to help the oppressed, to feed the poor, to give hope to the hopeless?  Do we owe one another anthing, have any obligation at all to help our fellow man?

Are we obligated to help the poor?

To stand up for injustice?

If a person is being murdered, are we obligated to try and stop it?

Are all these things that our honor demands of us, or simply an act to engage in should the spirit strike us? Is endeavoring to do good a code by which we are all bound, or simply a luxury we engage in as the mood suits us?

There is no rigtht or wrong in answering these questions, and yet how we answer them speaks volumes about ourselves.

This is a wholly interactive topic and I encourage everyone to participate.

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:58:51 am »

I believe human beings owe one another compassion.

Having a home, sustenance and health care should not be considered a privilige, but rather a civil right.

Why are there so many out there that are so rich and yet feel no obligation to help their fellow man?

God did not grant riches so that we could use them to feed our own greed, but rather to put us in position to do some good with what we have gained.  And if we see no value in doing good in this world, in treating one another well, I wonder if there is any value in any of us even being here at all.

God Bless,

+Faith+
Report Spam   Logged

(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."
Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:13:07 pm »

The short answer? 

Perhaps nothing.

A man or woman do owe their children a great deal.  If a child is brought into this world, nature insists we owe that child all we can give the child to allow it to reach maturity.  That instinct is found all throughout the animal kingdom, it is prevalent in human beings as well.

As for the rest ofthe human race, an argument can be made that a civilized people owe one another civility. An honorable man or woman who sees an injustice occurring might also try to stop it from occuring.

And yet, are we duty bound to do these things?  The best things in this world, the ones that have the most value, occur when they are given of a person's own free will, no because a person has to do them.

We are every bit as much competititors in this world as we are our brother's keeper - perhaps moreso.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:53:47 pm »

What human beings owe each other is for each of us to focus on the spiritual improvement of ourself.... for only in this way can we utilize Divine Love, Wisdom and Power in this world.   There are Spiritual Laws and Truths which we must LIVE.... one is this:

Learn the lesson well of the spiritual truth: Criticize not unless ye wish to be criticized. For, with what measure ye mete it is measured to thee again. It may not be in the same way, but ye cannot even think bad of another without it affecting thee in a manner of a destructive nature. Think well of others, and if ye cannot speak well of them don't speak! but don't think it either!

Edgar Cayce Reading 2936-2

We are given only one tool in life, and that is FREE WILL..... every moment we make choices...towards or away from the I AM, the God-self....
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:50:16 am »

Well said, Rockessence.  I think we fall in the trap of thinking our work is done when we have all that we want for ourselves and for our families.  And yet, what we have in this world actually means nothing.  It is only through our spiritual growth can any of us actually be able to evolve at all.

Cheers,

Dawn
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:08:58 am »

Grin This is music to my sences because I beleive this is well.
The material world is nice to experience, yet you can still feel an empty space within yourself.
Until recently, this was a mystery to me. Morrison, reawakened a truth within me with little more then a statement he made about an empty space I had. I was feeling, like I was in an empty world.
Like I couldn't feel anything anymore. I thought it was a soul-mate that I was looking for.
Now, I realize that what I was really looking for is my soul and experiencing that immortal growth.
Because of paranormal research & investigation, I can see why I am drawn to this course of study. It's why these things are so important to me.

This is completely what I,ve been exploring from within myself.
A spiritual growth at this stage in our developement is everything we need to understand, "Everything".

When I get that rare oppurtunity to talk to others who are in the same pursuit, it's like being a part of a collective hunt for a treasure worth more then all the material world can even offer. This in turn is what we can offer each other out of love for ourselves and one another.

Perhaps "inheriting the Heavens and the Earth", (Revelations)
can happen after we have all been awakened to it's understanding of how all these things are a part of us.
All that we are is why this must happen for our kind to endure the time yet to come.
One other example of this is in the biblical statement; The father, the son and the holy spirit.
The divine trinity itself and a oneness with the absolute understanding thereof.
The mystery is how.
The answer is accepting what must change within us.
And the result, is what we will become once this has come to pass.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:41:19 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »

HereNow,

RE: "When I get that rare oppurtunity to talk to others who are in the same pursuit, it's like being a part of a collective hunt for a treasure worth more then all the material world can even offer. This in turn is what we can offer each other out of love for ourselves and one another."

Bravo! Well put my dear, You are so right about its being "a treasure worth more than all" because unless you open yourself to that treasure, this incarnation is all but wasted!  And that treasure, little do we realize is hovering over us every second of our ENTIRE LIFE, waiting to be commanded to enter into our workings, our troubles, our confusion, our choices....Our "Beloved Treasure", is the REAL US. the REAL YOU, and this life can and should be a constant expression of your own God-self, if you only ask, or command, It to be!

Once you realize that It is always and constantly there above you, waiting to express God-through-you, you lose the sense that you are ever "alone".  You are NEVER ALONE!  For this is the greater part of you, and this human part of you is only existant IN THIS LIFE....the sooner you get the proper picture of your true situation, the sooner you can integrate into your Higher Expression...   Our Higher Mind understands the situation and that we are seemingly forever stumbling about trying to figure it out.... With INFINITE PATIENCE, KINDNESS AND LOVE our God-self, our individual "Beloved, Mighty I AM Presence" waits for us to exert our Free Will to connect to Its Divine Love, Wisdom and Power to act in all things....

You said "The mystery is how..."  This is no longer a mystery, closely held in "Mystery Schools" as ever before, but since the 1930s there has been a drive to share this information with the world at large in order that the human race can uplift itself for the huge work at hand...  I have been a student for a few years and can testify that it changes EVERYTHING if you want to change.  All it requires of one is sincerity of heart and a deep desire.
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 02:46:11 pm »

Very well said, Rocky, thank you!

Love and Peace,
Bianca
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »

Thank you all so much...
Now Rock- This is something that I would like very much to discuss with you.
"You said "The mystery is how..."  This is no longer a mystery, closely held in "Mystery Schools" as ever before, but since the 1930s there has been a drive to share this information with the world at large in order that the human race can uplift itself for the huge work at hand...  I have been a student for a few years and can testify that it changes EVERYTHING if you want to change.  All it requires of one is sincerity of heart and a deep desire.
"

Why was I told that I decided to stay?
That wasn't my choice Rock....

Yet they seemed to express and explain Alot of the same about this awakening as we all do.
I allow myself to flow as freely as I can, vividly feeling and seeing it's cause and effect.
I want to learn to let go now, and I choose to be alive.
As above so below....

Cheers!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:52:32 pm by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

bluducky

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 09:46:24 pm »

Hello everybody  Wink

Every now and again, I find that this forum is on my mind, and I always intend to come here. I think i can say that I haven't been here at all, within the last month.

Needless to say, now that I AM here, and have gone through all of the topics since my last visit, I can say, that THIS, is the only topic that truly interested me.

All of the other topics, deal a lot with things we can't use in the real world:  things that are of interest, and which we might glean knowledge from, but nonetheless, irrelevant to our circumstances.

I believe this topic is something we should all participate in, and hope that we can learn something to be of use in our daily lives. Little things, change the world in big ways.

The subject of OWING something to our fellow man, has always been one of a controversial nature, as your answers (which reflect your core beliefs) will show clearly what kind of person you are, and, sadly, many people would rather wear a mask, than risk being discovered to be something they are not.

My own view of the matter is simple: Always show your true self, disregarding the consequences.

I will lay out my opinion on the matter in simple terms, and I hope that we all may share some of these beliefs.

On that note:

I believe…

That everyone should be HONEST with each other. 
How many times have you just wished, that someone would tell you the truth?

Everyone should do their utmost to make others FEEL WELCOME.
Have you ever felt… out of place? That maybe, just maybe, your presence wasn’t appreciated? ( I do all the time)

If you are rich, that you should HELP YOUR FELLOW MAN.
How many rich people have we all heard of, that wouldn’t spare a cent to a person in need, but would rather say “Get a job!”, as if it was so easy? Some of us just need a helping hand, once in awhile.

If you are poor, you should HELP YOUR FELLOW MAN.
This is the same for the poor, too. Sure, you may not have much money, but you DO have a heart, don’t you? (and of course, there are countless ways to help, without spending a cent. I can recall a million times I have helped a stranger, without so much as a smile in return)

Which leads me to…

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WISH THEM TO DO UNTO YOU.
We all want to be treated well right?  Maybe a little respect? Some recognition? We all want to be appreciated.
I was at a show the other night, and a man was speaking, THANKING some companies that had made the event possible and relating how much it meant to his grandchildren, just to be in attendance (he took the time to show his appreciation, and thanks), and a woman behind me said to her friends, “ shut up, we don’t care, just get on with it”. I am glad the man did not hear that… Gratitude was sorely lacking.

LOVE, AND BE LOVED.
Mother Teresa lived by this. It has inspired millions of people ,all around the globe, and yet, as strong as this flame is, it still doesn’t quite shine through. We have all seen the disastrous events that take place around the world on television, and sadly, many people are desensitized to it, and would rather see what else is on, instead of sending out a single prayer, or good wish. We need more Mother Teresas.

JUST A SMILE, is all it takes.
I once met a man, who had lost his nose, and I recall everyone that saw him, averted their eyes in disgust, pretending they didn’t see him. I wonder how many nights, he lay awake, and just wished that he could be “just like everyone else.” I gave him a smile, several, in fact, and he beamed brighter than any star. I felt it was a pity, that most people would have missed out.

BE A FRIEND TO ALL.
This includes your enemies.  Over time, I have made countless enemies, most of which, never took the time to get to know me. We can’t all be everyone’s best friend, can we? Needless to say, once these people got to know me a bit better, they realized their hate was misplaced. Some of these people, have become my closest friends.

WE ARE ALL EQUAL
This includes the people you hate, the people you don’t agree with, your children, your grandparents, convicted felons, and the highest saints. In this life, one’s status may give one a feeling of superiority, but when it comes down to it, if you strip away all the layers that make you ’you’, you are no different from any other. Why should we not extend courtesy to all? (even a convicted felon, may go straight, and become one of the greatest people alive)

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND.
Ever heard of Karma? Failure to do any of the above, generally  results in your life being not as fulfilled and happy, as it could have been.  Just imagine how much happier you would have been, had you stopped, and given that poor homeless woman just one little dollar, better yet, 20. The smile on her face would have meant more to you than a million dollars, and meant life itself, to her.  It’s pretty life changing, isn’t it?

It all comes down to this:

Before you think “I don’t owe anyone anything”, just stop for one moment, and ask yourself “If I hadn’t been so lucky, would that be ME?”

Just start with a smile. You may change someone’s life for the better. Trust me, it's much better than going home, fuming over what "that idiot" did to you earlier. If you can let go of all the negative emotions that plague your thoughts, and embrace something more positive, the rewards are immediate, gratifying, and well worth it.

Remember, we’re all in this thing we call LIFE, together.

Let’s try not to forget it.
Report Spam   Logged
Derek
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:05:33 am »

Nice words, Bluducky, but I am not sure how many of us are capable of living up to them everyday, in every corner of our lives. 

Civilization would seem to demand that we owe one another a degree of civility.  But what of areas of the world where they are not civilized?  Somalia, Iraq and Darfur, for instance, where death each day is a common occurrence. As we can see, it is hard to impose our civilized values upon an uncivilized world.

I agree that rich countries should do their best to help put those who are poor, but there is an old saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."  We can put a bandaid on the problem, but it is hard to solve the problem altogether.

As for what each of us individually can do to help the world, well, that actually does cut right to the core of political philosophy.  Liberals would have no problem with that, most likely, while conservatives would claim that no one owes anyone anything, it is their money and they will do what they want with it.  One man's victim of starvation is another one's deadbeat who won't take responsibility for himself.  It's hard to get everyone on the same page, or even to change minds.
Report Spam   Logged
bluducky

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:53:34 pm »

Absolutely agreed, Derek, and that is something I have always strived to achieve -- just to show someone that there is an alternative to the common way to live (against everyone, and only for oneself). Now and again, you notice little changes in people, that they no longer behaved the same way toward something as they used to, as if they can see a little clearer now.

This is noticed more acutely with some foreigners, who from, as you said, countries that see violence and death as a common part of life. Almost like they have "reformed," and adopted a new way of living.

(It also goes the other way. A small example comes to mind: A young japanese girl came as an exchange student years ago, and when she got here, she felt it was wrong to kill flies, but by the time her stay was over, she was killing them left right and centre because they were so annoying: she had adjusted to something she never previously saw herself doing. Now myself, I never harm anything, but many people just hate flies, and that impression stuck with her, and she adapted (Australian flies can be a nuisance))

By no means do I advocate pushing one's values onto another, that would be immoral. But so many times have I seen small changes in people's attitudes, simply because they observed the way another behaves, and they adapt it into their own behaviour. It really is a personal choice, but it is strongly affected by the people around you. (which helps to explain a lot)

Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 12:14:29 am »

Ducky!  Cheers, LOL.

Just like old times. You put it all out there.
Kudos!

As far as owe, I disagree.
We are all slaves of a system that was designed to be self-liquidating.
We rely more so then owe in nature.
As for the exchange of money to buy or sell anything, it can be replaced.
Thing is, there is an upside and downside to a pending direction.

Barter Vs. Entitlement

Wink You decide, I would prefer a nice out of the way place just outside of UB-313 that was a self sustained network of peace loving tree huggers and spiritually awakened free people.
People who help each other not because of obligation, but more out of love and respect for our human race.

As things are now, I laugh out loud when I think of how shallow everything really is. We see others getting hung, slashed, ran over and shot on the news and in most of the coolest video games on up to movies and TV. Young male/female addicts being raped in broad day light under fire escapes, and we walk on by and do nothing. Money being the number one reason for murder.

All that we are is a product of what supports the problems we have.
Yet faithfully we will continue on as we do in our daily toils to accomplish what?

LOL
Yeah right, what right do we even have to expect anything from anyone when nobody had anything real to give anyone else ever?

Yet those who love and respect others are usually those who are loved and respected.
And they are those who want we they have, not those who get what they want.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:17:40 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 11:22:38 am »

I cannot think of permanent enmity between man and man.

And, believing as I do, in the theory of Reincarnation,

I do hope that, if not in this birth,

In some other birth  I shall be able to

Hug all of humanity in a friendly embrace.

MAHATMA GHANDI
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 12:19:19 pm »

In an ideal world, people who had more would feel the need to give to people who had less, unfortunatley, we don't live in an ideal world.

Darfur was mentioned earlier.  Anyone who knows about the situation would all agree that we should help them.

And yet, how much do we want to help them?  It isn't enough to simply write a check, give aid and be done.

The aid is all being seized by the warlords, and, in order to make certain that it gets to the people, we would almost certainly have to overthrow and kill those warlords, which would no doubt bring about the loss of soldiers' lives in the process.

Do we want to help them that much? The United Nations doesn't, nor have America, Britain or any of the other countires of the west taken the lead.

Invariably, true help always entails some sort of sacrifice, else it isn't actually help at all, simply a way to assuage a guilty conscience.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: