Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:34:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sistine Chapel masterpiece recreated using Rubik's Cubes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sistine Chapel masterpiece recreated using Rubik's Cubes  (Read 166 times)
Carmen

« on: April 23, 2011, 04:58:58 pm »

Sistine Chapel masterpiece recreated using Rubik's Cubes
Michelangelo's masterpiece from the Sistine Chapel has been recreated using a world-record breaking 12,090 Rubik's Cubes.

The reproduction of Michelangelo's The Hand of God is made from 12,090 Rubik's Cubes Photo: SOLENT

The Hand of God took more than 400 hours to make by a dedicated team of 11 puzzle fans.

The team had to individually adjust each Rubik's cube by hand to give it the exact colours required to recreate the masterpiece.

Cube Works Studio, who are behind the creation, spent half the time making blueprints with a computer. The remaining time was spent twisting the cubes.

Josh Chalom, the creative director, said the work is the beginning of an attempt to reproduce the entire ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, a project that will be hung from a roof and weigh 50 tonnes and use 250,000 cubes.

He said: "I had the idea in my head and knew it needed a team to pull it off so we set up the Cube Works Studio, based in Toronto, Canada.

"We first had to select the image. From there it was pixelized using a computer and that was where the difficulty began.

"The computer had a hard time determining shading, tones and depth.

"We restored the piece so Adam didn't look like he just came out of a tanning salon and God didn't look so red that he resembled his arch-rival.

"Then there was the detail in the background all the way to the cracks in the plaster. We wanted as real a rendition of the masterpiece as possible.

"Essentially, 12,090 cubes came out to 108,810 pixels that has to be individually coloured and mapped. Once this was done blueprints were made up.

"The team then went about twisting with the cubes so they showed exactly the right colours.

"The cubers are incredible and can solve the puzzle in 12 seconds, quicker than I can get it out of the packaging.

"It felt great to complete but this is merely one leg of a long journey. When the entire Sistine Chapel is complete I will feel that it has truly been accomplished.

"It's all about getting the art to the masses for them to enjoy."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/8460977/Sistine-Chapel-masterpiece-recreated-using-Rubiks-Cubes.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: