Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:14:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jack the Ripper

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack the Ripper  (Read 1358 times)
Rorschach
Superhero Member

« on: August 30, 2007, 03:59:37 am »

The "From Hell" letter is the name given to a letter mailed in 1888 by a man who claimed to be the killer known as Jack the Ripper.

Though many letters claiming to be from the killer were mailed in the time of the Ripper murders, the "From Hell" letter is widely considered one of the few possibly authentic writings received from the serial killer. It is perhaps noteworthy that its author chose not to sign it with the pseudonym, "Jack the Ripper", distinguishing it from the earlier Dear Boss letter, the Saucy Jack postcard and their imitators. Also, the "From Hell" letter is written at a much lower literacy level than the other two, although it has been argued that this was done on purpose by the author. Attention is paid to the word 'knif' in particular. It is argued that a person with little or no education would spell words based on what they sound like and as the 'k' in knife is silent, an uneducated man would not likely know that the 'k' was there at all. To some Ripperologists,[citation needed] this is proof that the author of the letter was actually quite well educated and the spelling and grammatical errors were written on purpose.

Postmarked on 15 October 1888, the letter was received by George Lusk, then head of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, the following day.

The reason this letter stands out more than any other is that it was delivered with a small box containing half of what doctors later determined was a human kidney, preserved in alcohol. One of Catherine Eddowes' kidneys had been removed by the killer. Medical opinion at the time was split on whether the kidney was likely to have been the same as the one taken from Eddowes. Some officials thought the organ could have been acquired by medical students and sent with the letter as part of a hoax.

The text of the letter reads:

“ From hell.

Mr Lusk,
Sor
I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother piece I fried and ate it was very nise. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer

signed
Catch me when you can Mishter Lusk”

The original letter, as well as the kidney that accompanied it, have subsequently been lost along with other items that were originally contained within the Ripper police files. It is possible that one or both was kept by an official as a souvenir of the case. The image shown here is from a photograph taken before the loss of the letter.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: