Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:44:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Scots site may hold the key to Arthurian mystery

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scots site may hold the key to Arthurian mystery  (Read 627 times)
Valerie
Superhero Member

« on: May 16, 2011, 10:13:09 pm »

Scots site may hold the key to Arthurian mystery

CHRIS WATT

14 May 2011

IT is a mystery that has baffled generations of historians, but the secrets of King Arthur’s round table could finally be laid bare thanks to modern technology.

A circular earthen mound near Stirling Castle has been linked variously to the legendary king, to British aristocrats and to Roman invaders, but its origins remain shrouded in history.

Now, for the first time, a team of archaelogists from Glasgow University is preparing to use hi-tech scanners to survey the ground beneath it, providing a clear insight into the mound’s beginnings.

The structure, often referred to as the King’s Knot, has long fascinated national historians. Despite the mysteries it may contain, however, it has remained undisturbed for fear of damaging it. The new project, scheduled to run next week, will provide a full geophysical survey of the entire area.

Stirling Local History Society (SLHS) and Stirling Field and Archaeological Society have secured funding from Historic Scotland and Stirling City Heritage Trust for the operation.

Is the King’s Knot an ancient feature that Scotland’s monarchs reused, or was it a unique garden design?

Dr Richard Jones, senior lecturer in archaeology at Glasgow University, said his team had little idea of what they might uncover.

“This is a fabulous opportunity to discover more about a site that has fascinated people down the centuries, and it’s all the more exciting because we really don’t know what – if anything – it will reveal,” he said. “The survey equipment we use will sense beneath the ground, showing us any lost structures and features up to a metre below the ground, irrespective of how old they are.”

John Harrison, chairman of the local history society, said the distinctive “cup and saucer” shape of the mound had changed over the years. There are several competing theories on its dates of origin,” he added.

“People have told stories about the King’s Knot for hundreds of years and it has become linked with all sorts of ideas. But its origins remain mysterious.

“The area was used as a garden in the 16th and 17th centuries. But when was the present ‘cup and saucer’ mound formed?

“Perhaps it was as late as the 1620s. But about 1375 the poet John Barbour says that ‘the round table’ was somewhere to the south of Stirling Castle and tradition continued to place ‘the tabilll round’ hereabouts. It is a mystery the documents cannot solve. But geophysics may give us new insights.”

Archaeologist Stephen Digney, who is co-ordinating the project, said the area around Stirling Castle contains “some of the finest medieval landscapes in Europe”.

He said: “This investigation will be the start of a serious effort to explore, explain and interpret them. Is the Knot an ancient feature that Scotland’s monarchs reused, or was it a unique garden design?”

Richard Strachan of Historic Scotland said the operation “is important to help us discover more about Scotland’s past”.

He said: “The King’s Knot is not only a fascinating site, but also a very sensitive one, which means that geophysical survey techniques are ideal as they help reveal any archaeology below the surface, without causing it any damage.”

The survey begins on Monday, and is due to be completed by the end of next week.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/scots-site-may-hold-the-key-to-arthurian-mystery-1.1101407?localLinksEnabled=false
Report Spam   Logged

Neart inár lámha, fírinne ar ár dteanga, glaine inár gcroí
"Strength in our arms, truth on our tongue, clarity in our heart"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sumai4444

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

I told someone i care about, the first time I watched the Movie Highlander, i thought, you know, that could be ancient King Arthur. And his watcher a symbolism of Merlin. like a modern subconcious memory of an ancient Arthur, I made this thought available only two days ago, and i only joined this site today. Then i see this, and my bones chilled prolly just a coincidence i am sure, thanks for sharing!
Report Spam   Logged
Knight of the Grail

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:44 pm »

Welcome to the forum, I recently watched the Highlander TV show and thought pretty much the same thing.  It is a pity that they never worked that plot into one of their shows, it would have been a good episode.
Report Spam   Logged
Sumai4444

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:47 am »

One outlandish theory, from a source who refuses to be disclosed, you know the kind, deep in the idea of world conspiracy, that Avalon was indeed either Atlantis, or an alien powered continent /city much like Atlantis much later,  and Arthur a modernization of the story to help make it more understandable to the general populace in a gentle way to debunk the rising power of the Christian Church as it toppled current pagan religions.
   Further delving puts Arthur as an ancient tribesman, a nomadic wanderer, in the Highlands of Scotland, (200-300 BCE)not too far from the Loch Ness, where the Lady of the Lake gives him the Excalibur, but who's guardian , a great serpent, smites or swallows any who disturbs her realm(Lochness Monster?> Merlin is also described to be a Sidhe, or otherwolrder, or part otherworlder <Anunnaki?>, where "there can be only one" human to receive the "dna" of the outworlders as they delve in the area for unknown precious resources. Later dubbed the Holy Grail, and a sword called excalibur, it is meant or insinuated, the Cup is a literal translation of eternal life, or alien dna, and the sword a key to an extradimensional portal to an island continent/spacecraft, called Avalon.
   This whole theory is a bit much for me, and very hard for me to swallow. But scientists put Arthur as a wandering tribesman LONG before the middle ages with castles. It puts Arthur in an ancient past that lines up with Stonehenge, and who knew if this is true,  Loch Ness monster, Atalntis, Avalon, and Sumerian Anunnaki where all interconnected over the course of History? Along with th lady of the Lake and the Sidhe? or is it possible the story of the Anunnaki evolved and was passed down, slightly changing to the current local for almost half a million years? Or did the Anunnaki revist over and over throughout half a million years? I'll think on it, look into it, and maybe share what i find one day
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: