Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 02:39:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Mid-Atlantic Ridge  (Read 21043 times)
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:34 am »

Have no Fear,
I recently asked ' GEORGEOS' to comment on my # 3 RULES of THUMB
and simultaneously apologized to him for " Spellbreaking " his ' Theory '!

He is wonderfull in explaining ancient Greek to laymen and describing Tartessos in Spain.
He should known about the Eratosthenes Ethiopian Map-forgery "moving" the Pillars to Gibraltar in 250 bc!
if he does not like to comment on this, than. does that  mean that I am barking up a wrong tree Huh

I think that Mr.'GEORGEOS' is the "ZAHI - HAWASS of Spanish Atlantology"
He may like that title and he will like Your Landscape-Pictures of Spain = Morocco too !
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:59:33 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2009, 11:32:17 pm »

Oh, no!

Carolyn, I am a great admirer of Cedric Leonard.   It's not his fault.....

I think some character took a 'remark' made by someone else and maliciously ran with it here.

This person did it on purpose, HE is NOBODY'S friend.....

Sorry, Bianca!  For all I know, this person may be a FRIEND of Cedric Leonard.  I will never be referencing any of C's work again.  He can have it!  Q

Carolyn
Report Spam   Logged
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2009, 11:18:33 am »

Dr. Cedric LEONARD wrote a book and a WEB-site about Pyramidfs
 and Atlantis in the Black Sea(=PONTUS/ Euxines) I believe !
Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2009, 04:57:53 am »

Mid-Ocean Ridge Tectonics

Project Goals:

* Understand the kinematics and dynamics of extensional faulting during sea floor spreading
    * Determine how extensional faults accommodate sea floor spreading in the absence of magmatic activity
    * Understand strain localization mechanisms in mafic and ultramafic oceanic lithosphere
    * Understand how extensional faulting is linked to fluid circulation in oceanic lithosphere
    * Refine the theory of Plate Tectonics to explain newly observed geologic features on the sea floor

Overview:

Formation of new oceanic lithosphere at mid-ocean ridges is accomplished by a combination of magmatic activity and extensional faulting. Recent advances in sea floor sonar imaging and geophysical techniques has allowed scientists to determine the shape and internal structure of the ocean floor better than ever before. These studies have revealed morphologic and geologic structures at mid-ocean ridges that cannot be explained by the classical model of sea floor spreading. Like any good scientific theory, plate tectonics is currently being modified to incorporate these new observations. In particular, extensional faults at mid-ocean ridges may be far more complex than previously thought, and may actually the the sole mechanism to accommodate spreading during periods of little or no magma input to the shallow ridge axis, asymmetrical spreading, or during ridge migration. In short: if you want to understand plate tectonics, you have to spend at least part of the time looking beneath the oceans.

I am studying faults at two sites along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge to meet these above goals, and make sure the theory of plate tectonics accurately explains the actual mechanics of our planet. Thus far, I have participated in two research cruises where we have used submersibles to map the sea floor and collect rock samples and a drill ship to collect core samples of oceanic lithosphere.

Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:32 am »

Study Sites

I visited Atlantis Massif  in fall of 2004 on a cruise of the RV Atlantis. We used the Alvin manned submersible and the remotely operated submersible ARGO II to map and sample the sea floor This cruise made several significant discoveries, including the Lost City hydrothermal vent field, which won the principle investigators considerable acclaim. More information on this cruise can be found here.

I visited the 15-20 Fracture Zone in the summer of 2003 on Ocean Drilling Program Leg 209. During this 8-week long cruise, we drilled 6 peridotite and gabbro exposures north and south of the transform fault.

http://faculty.bennington.edu/~tschroeder/oceantectonics.html
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:03 am »

Relief surface and map of Atlantis Massif

Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:39 am »

Atlantis Massif is a domal sea floor mountain with nearly over 4000 meters of vertical relief (that's about 1.5 Pikes Peaks). The upper surface of Atlantis Massif is now believed to be an exposed low angle normal fault, which uplifted rocks from the Earth's mantle to their current mountainous exposure.

Relevant Publications from Atlantis Massif:

Schroeder, T. , John, B, 2004, Strain localization on an oceanic detachment fault system, Atlantis Massif, 30°N, Mid-Atlantic Ridge: Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, v. 5, N. 11

Blackman, D. K., Karson, J.A., Kelley, D.S., Cann, J.R., Früh-Green, G.L., Gee, J.S., Hurst, S.D., John, B.E. Morgan, J., Nooner, S.L., Ross, D.K., Schroeder, T.J., and Williams, E.A., 2004, Geology of the Atlantis Massif (Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 30°N): Implications for the Evolution of an Ultramafic Oceanic Core Complex: Marine Geophysical Researches, v. 23, p. 443-469.

Schroeder, T. , John, B., and Frost, B.R., 2002, Geologic implications of seawater circulation through peridotite exposed at slow-spreading ridges, Geology, v. 30, p. 367-370.
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2009, 05:00:19 am »

Relief surface of ODP Leg 209 drill sites north of the 15-20 Fracture Zone

Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2009, 05:00:39 am »

The region shown in this image depicts the Mid-Atlantic Ridge axial valley (right side of image) and irregular bathymetry west of the ridge. Site 1275 is drilled on a domal "mega-mullion" hypothesized to be an oceanic core complex. East of this is a region of low relief, between zones of amplified abyssal hill morphology north and south.
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2009, 05:01:09 am »

Relevant Publications from 15-20 Fracture Zone:

Schroeder, T., Cheadle, M., Dick, H.B.J., Faul, U., Casey, J.F., Kelemen, P., 2007, “Non-volcanic seafloor spreading and corner-flow rotation accommodated by extensional faulting at 15°N on the Mid Atlantic Ridge: A structural synthesis of ODP Leg 209”, Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, v. 8, Q06015 DOI 10.1029/2006GC001567

Shipboard Scientific Party , 2003, Leg 209, Initial Reports; Drilling Mantle Peridotite along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge from 14° to 16°N, 6 May 2003–6 July 2003: http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/209_IR/209ir.htm Ocean Drilling Program Texas A&M University , College Station , TX

Shipboard Scientific Party, 2003, Leg 209 Preliminary Report Drilling Mantle Peridotite along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge from 14° to 16°N, 6 May 2003–6 July 2003: http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/prelim/209_prel/209PREL.PDF , Ocean Drilling Program Texas A&M University , College Station , TX
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02:11 am »

Fun Photos

The Joides Resolution being loaded for departure in Rio DeJanero, Brazil
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02:37 am »

Mike Cheadle and myself in the early phases of ODP Leg 209
(note the bright eyes and smiles)
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2009, 05:03:02 am »

4/5's of theLeg 209 Structure Team (Mike Cheadle, Jack Casey, Uli Faul and myself) after about 6.5 weeks at sea

Our Motto: Better Late than Never

(note the absence of smiles and the extra facial hair)
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2009, 05:03:33 am »

Ophicalcite neptunic dikes in a metaserpentinite cataclasite from Atlantis Massif. Micrite is composed of aragonite coccolith and foram fragments accumulated on the sea floor and mobilized into fault and fracture zones. Micrite dikelets fill subhorizontal and subvertical shear fractures that cut grain boundaries. Field of view = 3.25mm.
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:12 am »

Backscatter electron image of metaserpentinite cataclasite from the theorized detachment fault at the top of Atlantis Massif. Formed of multiple generations of tremolite and chlorite that replace serpentinite. All minerals are progressively fractured during growth.  Field of view = 1.23mm.

http://faculty.bennington.edu/~tschroeder/oceantectonics.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: