Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:43:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Layne Staley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Layne Staley  (Read 5941 times)
Christiana Hanaman
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »

Staley had a similar experience with a woman he was engaged to a few years ago. "I can definitely say rock & roll was a huge factor in us breaking up," he says. "When you're in a relationship, the girl usually instigates the big idea that you were born joined at the hip. So when the fighting comes, it's really painful. "This isn't a dig on women," Staley adds before launching into a sexist theory, "but I think women are so different chemically from men, and that makes it hard to sustain a relationship. They have their periods, they go through horrible, awful emotional swings, and trying to be logical with a person that's got a whole different logic running around in her brain is just impossible." But Cantrell and Staley have been consumed with more than just relationship woes recently, facing an even more painful and frightening prospect: death. Last year one of Cantrell's cousins, suffering from deep depression and on Prozac, shot himself between the eyes. Five of Staley's friends also have died during the last two years. He won't say whether the deaths were drug related. "I'm gonna be here for a long f****n' time," Staley asserts. "I'm scared to death, especially death by my own hand. I'm scared of where I would go. Not that I ever consider that, because I don't." Well, maybe not, but two and a half years ago, Staley might easily have taken his life had it not been for a couple of near-death experiences that he claims forced him to re-evaluate his lifestyle. Again he refuses to say whether the incidents were drug related, but he willingly and vividly describes the experience. "I was lucky enough to get a glimpse of where I was going to go if I did follow through with it," he says frankly. "That makes me sad for my friends who have taken their own lives, because I know that if your time is not finished here, and you end it yourself, then you gotta finish it somewhere else. There was a time when things seemed desperate, and I thought taking my life might be a way out. I made a couple of really weak attempts, mostly to see if I could do it, and I couldn't. "I was sitting with a friend on time," Staley recalls, "and I blanked out for about a minute. I had no control over my muscles, and it scared the **** out of me because I experienced what I guess could have been hell, or you know, purgatory or whatever. It was freezing cold, and I was spinning like I was drunk and trying desperately to take a breath. There was chest pain like I was gonna explode. "If you gotta feel pain here, you gotta feel it somewhere else," he continues. "I believe that there's a wonderful place to go to after this life, and I don't believe there's eternal damnation for anyone. I'm not into religion, but I have a good grasp of my spirituality. I just believe that I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." For all the agony that went into 'Alice in Chains,' there's a stark beauty to the way the buzzing guitars spiral around the pulsing beats.

"Our music's kind of about taking something ugly and making it beautiful," Cantrell explains. "I do that every day when I'm dressing," jokes Staley. "I take an ugly face and make it beautiful."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: