Atlantis Online
April 17, 2024, 08:43:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jeri Ryan Confirmed as Sonya Blade in ‘Mortal Kombat’

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeri Ryan Confirmed as Sonya Blade in ‘Mortal Kombat’  (Read 80 times)
Depths of Darkness

« on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:12 pm »

Jeri Ryan Confirmed as Sonya Blade in ‘Mortal Kombat’
Feb 7, 2011 by Kofi Outlaw
Do you like this story?

Actress Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Voyager) has confirmed she will be back as Sonya Blade in the ‘rebirthed’ Mortal Kombat web series and movie.

Jeri Ryan Mortal Kombat Sonya Blade

Actress Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Voyager) has confirmed that she will be reprising her role as Sonya Blade in the new Mortal Kombat web series and movie that were announced a few weeks back, based on the web short “Mortal Kombat Rebirth” by director Kevin Tancharoen, whose passion for the franchise has led to this Mortal Kombat revival on both the Web and the big-screen.

ABC Family's PLL Episodes
The Pretty Little Liars are back! Free episodes are on ABCFamily.com.
ABCFamily.go.com
Famous Russian films
Drama, comedy, action, sci-fi Russian films is on RT.com
RT.com
Ads by Google

There was a lot of speculation early on that Ryan would be back to expand her role as Sonya in the “Rebirth” web short into a full-fledged leading role in (presumably) both the upcoming Mortal Kombat web episodes and the movie they are building up to. Better than any report from a website, confirmation of the actress’ involvement in the resurrected MK franchise came straight from the starlet’s… Twitter account.

Here’  the first post from Ryan:

Heading to the farmer’s market with the hubs & my girl. Then this evening I head to Vancouver to shoot Mortal Kombat! (NOW it’s official)

That update was soon followed by  a second tweet:

BTW, just finished reading the whole script for Mortal Kombat. Holy crap… I think u might just love it. Get ready…

Finally, when congratulated on landing the role of fan-favorite Sonya Blade, Ryan also  let it be known that she won’t be just the pretty face of the franchise:

…I get to channel my inner action hero. ;-)

Now, some people are upset over this new take on the Mortal Kombat mythos; the biggest complaint I keep hearing is that Tancharoen’s more “gritty and realistic” take on the material is somehow inferior to the video game’s (and original movie adaptation’s) martial-arts-meets-magic format. Some people think that if you don’t have the mystical aspect of the games, or the fantastical characters like four-armed monster Goro and shape-shifting sorcerer villain Sheng Tsung, then Mortal Kombat is simply another generic martial arts crime thriller (I guess those are enough of a “thing” to be generic…).
kevin tancharoen director mortal kombat rebirth

'Mortal Kombat Rebirth' director Kevin Tancharoen

However, overzealous fans really need to slow down and pay close attention. Just check out a quote from an interview with Kevin Tancharoen back when “Mortal Kombat Rebirth” was making waves around The Web:

Now like I said, because I am such a fan of the Mortal Kombat series, I know there’s a lot of concern about the mysticism and the special powers and all that kind of stuff.  Well, like I said, this is really designed — the short so far is really designed like a prologue to the movie. Now, in a movie version, I am going to have that mysticism there, but it has to be done in a very tasteful way.  I wouldn’t like it too campy or too cheesy.  I know this is a weird analogy, but it’s the best one I can think of right now.  It’s kind of like when in Harry Potter, there’s two universes that coexist with each other.  There’s the real world, and then you get on the train and then you go to Hogwart’s, and that’s where all the magic is.”

Basically, what the man is saying is that while part of his Mortal Kombat universe will have a real-world feel to it, there’s more in store that we haven’t seen yet – so the best bet, if you’re a die-hard MK fan, is to just wait and see at this point.

For now, I think we (read: fellas) can agree that having Jeri Ryan onboard kicking ass as Sonya Blade is a step in the right direction.

We’ll keep you updated on more Mortal Kombat news as it comes to light.

If you want more on how the newest incarnation of the Mortal Kombat video games are being developed, be sure to head over to Game Rant’s Mortal Kombat page.

Source:  Jeri Ryan’s Twitter Feed

http://twitter.com/JeriLRyan
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: