Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 07:21:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

EGYPTIAN Astrology

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EGYPTIAN Astrology  (Read 1519 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 10:53:14 pm »

Sirius - The Dog Star - Inundation of the Nile

Once upon a time in a land called Khem... [chemistry - alchemy] Sirius was a very important star to the ancient Egyptians, who called it the Star of Isis or the Nile Star. About 5,000 years ago, the helical rising of Sirius occurred earlier, around June 25.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:56:12 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

When the Egyptians saw Sirius rising just before the Sun they knew it would soon be time for the flooding -
inundation - of the Nile River, around which, all Egyptian life was woven. They depended upon the flooding of the
Nile for the fertility of their lands.

It was up to the Egyptian priests, who attended to the calendar, to sight the first rising of Sirius. At the ancient temple of Isis-Hathor at Denderah, is a beautiful statue of Isis, located at the end of an aisle flanked by large columns. The statue was oriented to the rising of Sirius and priests would place a jewel in the goddess' forehead so that the light from the returning star would fall on the gem.

When the Egyptian priests saw the light of Sirius upon the gem on the statue of Isis they would announce to the people that the New Year had begun.

There is an inscription on the temple which states: "Her majesty Isis shines into the temple on New Year's Day, and she mingles her light with that of her father Ra on the horizon." Ra was the Egyptian Sun god. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 11:05:30 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:08:30 pm »

According to Lockyear, in 3285 BCE Sirius had replaced Draconis as the star marker of the Summer Solstice and the beginning of the Egyptian New Year.

The star was used as an orientation point especially at Thebes and became identified with Isis.

The Temple of Isis-Hathor at Denderah constructed in 700 BCE is oriented to this star through the northern opening of the central passage. On the temple wall is a zodiac square which shows the star.

This is the period of time Sirius disappears from the sky - sequenced in the myth when Isis is hiding until the birth of her son, Horus - eventually the star reappears after Horus is born - resurrection. It is time!

The first time each year in which Sirius appears is called the heliacal rising of Sirius.

In Egypt this would be in the month of Thoth.

It would occur close to the Summer solstice and the time of the Nile's inundation.

The helical rising marked the beginning of the New Year which was held to be controlled by Isis.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 11:10:28 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:55 am »

Smiley 
The Egyptian religion, like all religion has two sides to it.  As “Unknown” has phrased my thoughts on it, there is the esoteric and the exoteric.  There is in all religions one set down for the masses and quite another one set down for the true initiates of the given religion.  I’m surer this was true in Egypt, than I’m sure of it today.

I think only the Pharaohs and the high priests could tell you what the Egyptians actually believed.  There was a great body of information to preserve.  Information, especially that of a “higher” understanding really can’t be preserved in writing.  We can see that all too well in our own religions.  Take for example a quote from the Bible, “an eye for an eye” Given a couple of thousand years and it means something akin to revenge.  But that couldn’t be farther from the original intention of the phrase, which meant if you take out a man’s eye, how could you possibly replace it?… (A total reversal of the meaning of the phrase.) 

So as in the wisdom of Jesus in using parables to preserve the meaning of his words, the Egyptians, (and the Greeks) placed knowledge and understandings in religious stories that comprised the religion.  When I read about it, some of it I get, and some of it I don’t get any better than did the Egyptian population, who were NOT initiated into the understanding of the specific symbolism needed to actually comprehend the “higher” knowledge.  It’s like the “Rosetta stone”.  Without it we couldn’t decipher the hieroglyphics. Well without something akin to it, we can’t decipher their real meaning behind their religion, or their astrology, any more than the Egyptian peasants could thousands of years ago. 

Knowledge is power, and power was not, (and I believe is still not) shared.  If the Magi could predict where Jesus was to be born, and use the stars to get there, then how much worse could the Egyptian astrologers have been?  These people knew something.  That something was not philosophical, but something useful and practical.  Something that has been lost to the ages. That is of course unless it still exist in the circles of the Rosicrucian Order perhaps, LOL.

Personally I think modern astrology is missing a couple a key ingredients.  Probably a couple of missing planets, LOL.  Perhaps that information is staring us right in the face, and we just don’t see it.  Just why was Sirius so darn important to them?  I really don’t buy that it was to tell them when to plant or when the Nile would overflow.  They had a calendar, LOL.    Cool

Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 09:33:13 pm »

Sungate,

I really think that you look at the past as an individual living in TODAY'S world. We, in the West,
can pretty well ALL read and write.  If any of us are 'ignorant' (in the REAL sense of the word)
it's because we are intellectually lazy and we don't bother to research things.  Everything is out
there - especially with the Internet - for us.....

Not so up to the WWII!!  Knowledge on a large scale has never existed in recorded history,
before the present.

In Egyptian times, for example, the 'elite' held the key to knowledge because nobody had the
capacity to pursue any kind of knowledge, etc. etc.  So if one wants to make a case for
there existing "Secret Societies", their existence was a given.....planned or not.  That was
the way it was.

As to Sirius being important to the Egyptians, that too is out there on the Internet.  Lots of
opinions about it, if one is interested.  But the real answer is as mysterious as the Pyramids!

As for the Magi that supposedly 'followed the star" to find Jesus, well, one has to take that
one on faith......like everything else, it was set down in writing a "few years" after the fact.
A little googling and one can find that 'magi' abounded in the land of the Jews at that time.

So, they did not necessarily come from the "East", where they had originated centuries be-
fore, but it does make for a very 'interesting' detail to the Jesus story.

As for today's Astrology, well, we NEVER had it so good and no, we're not missing a couple
of planets, maybe we got too many of them, what with Asteroids, , Novae, BlackHoles
etc. (all new additions)........one can spend  d-a-y-s  analyzing ONE chart that minutely!

Love and Peace,
b
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:07:44 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

mdsungate

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 10:24:08 am »

Smiley  I see your point Bianca.  The masses were undoubtedly uneducated and had to rely on the wealthy and educated scribes for any real information.  I don’t deny that I view the world and history from my own perspective in today’s world.  However I don’t think the human blueprint has changed, (Darwin is hogwash in my opinion), and I tend to believe that life was not so different for the Egyptians, in that they were just as intelligent as today’s “educated” people.  I know someone who can’t read, and this devious person was able to convince a salesman that he had already paid for his living room furniture, and had a brand new living set delivered to his home!  Uneducated should not be confused with unintelligent.

I think archeology makes this kind of assumption constantly.  We view “cavemen” as some sort of primitive ape with out enough sense to build a house for shelter.  This whole “evolution” nonsense” has got us believing that ancient men were stupid, and that our “intelligence” has “evolved”.  I think that’s absurd!  I personally believe that “cavemen” were modern civilized people who were driven into the caves by a natural catastrophe. (I know you’ve read Berlitz, so you’ve seen the French cave painting with “cave women” wearing garments that look like modern fashions).

The “Age of Information” is not all it’s cracked up to be either, in my opinion.  There are lots of people writing things that suggest that crucial facts are being kept from even our top scientists.  I’ve read one book that asserts that the specific gravity on the moon is a direct misrepresentation of the actual gravity that exits there.  The author’s assumption is that the real facts are all “top secret”.  I’m inclined to believe this sort of thing, not because I know any facts, but because I know human behavior.  Knowledge is power, and people don’t share power.  This is human nature, and regardless of which civilization we’re talking about, human nature is a constant.  So yes, in this sense, I view the past exactly as I do the present.  The rich and the powerful will not share that power, and will do anything necessary to keep and maintain that power. 

So do I believe that all the information floating freely around the world via the Internet, telephone, and wireless communications, is factual and reliable?  I certainly do not.  For the wealthy and the powerful to share any real information, would be a direct violation of human nature.  Did the powerful suddenly become altruistic?  In my humble opinion this is not the age of information, it is the age of disinformation. 

As for astrology, I personally believe there is something missing.  To me the science of predicting the future with it is little more valuable than a weather report.  As we’ve both agreed, the future is not fixed; it is mutable and can be changed. But as to the stars being a reflection of our fated destiny, it’s here that I am a believer…. “As above, so below”, it couldn’t be any other way. 

I think the Egyptians knew a lot more about astrology than modern astrologers.  Yes we have privy to all sorts of astronomical information.  But then how does a remote African tribe know specifics about the star system that can only be viewed through powerful telescopes, (The Sirius Mystery).  Although this is used as support for the ancient astronaut theory, and evidence of communication with extraterrestrials, this could just as easily be evidence for preservation of predeluvian knowledge handed down from an ancient advanced human civilization, (i.e. Atlantic or Mu). 

Berlitz brings to our attention that the Egyptian civilization sprang into being with no prehistory.  It just seems to appear out of nothing.  He also points out that the oldest pyramids are the most advanced, and that each successive pyramid gets “worse” not “better” This fact is constantly passed over by Egyptologists, as is the fact that the Great Pyramid, (the oldest one) has no hieroglyphics written inside it.

And so to bring this all back to the point, (Egyptian Astrology), my view of it is jaded not by my modern viewpoint, but by my personal theories of what happened there.  I personally believe that Egypt, in predeluvian times was an Atantean colony.  I also think the Atlanteans knew the Flood of Noah was coming, (they were after all adept at not only astrology and physic prediction).  Now although they knew about eminence of the Flood, they did not know that their continent was going to sink.  That’s another story.  By the by, this is not MY theory, it’s just the one I subscribe to.  The Atlanteans established two depositories of knowledge in an effort to preserve the vast wealth of knowledge that they were in possession of; one in Egypt and one in Central America, besides the one in Atlantis itself.  They placed this knowledge in a “bunker” well below the surface, carved in solid rock, and placed a manmade mountain of stone on top of it.  And so we have the Great Pyramid.  They knew that the vast majority of civilization would be destroyed, and that the survivors would be thrown back into barbarism.  No barbarian could move that mountain and get to the treasure trove of knowledge that lied below it.  The surviving Atlanteans who returned to Egypt became the royalty who knew how to access the “library of knowledge” and use it to rebuild a civilization for the survivors of the catastrophe as they emerged from their caves where they took refuge from the flood.  And so this is why I believe that the Egyptian initiates knew something about Astrology that we today do not have in our possession, despite our technological “rediscovery” of many of the astronomical facts necessary to make accurate astrological predictions.  Hope you see my point Caro Mio.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 11:04:19 am »

Well, Sungate,

If you bring in ATLANTIS, then we are on a different footing. 

You have to remember that, as the author of most of this section, I must keep in mind the people
who read this:  most of them may be skeptical about the existence of Atlantis, let alone of its so
advanced knowledge and civilization.

I personally, as a Cayce follower, believe as you do.  Otherwise I wouldn't practically have manually
copied most of his son's book in the ATLANTIS IN THE NEW AGE Section of this forum.

It's all there, just like you describe it above, in the whole darn section, under several headings.  But neither can I deny the fact that it was channelled to a "Sleeping Prophet".......

AND - CONFIDENTIALLY - I BELIEVE EVERY WORD OF IT.

But I have to be careful when I report it here and be impersonal.  Otherwise, I may as well post
everything in "Theories and Speculations".  "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts......."

ciao,
b

Surely you can see my point.
Report Spam   Logged

mdsungate

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 12:43:18 pm »

Cheesy   Of course I do'!  Sorry I forgot we're not alone here.  Shocked  I'll try to stay a little more "grounded"... you know how us air signs can get! I married a Virgo, just to help bring me back down to earth once in a while  Roll Eyes

But say I hope Dr. Zahi Hawass hasn't read what I've been posting, because he might take some real offence to what I've said, and I don't mean to anger anyone.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 12:42:50 pm »

Thoth, God of the Moon, Magic, and Writing

By Caroline Seawright

The wisest of the Egyptian gods was Thoth (Djhuty, Djehuty, Tehuty), the baboon and ibis god of the moon. Thoth was the god who overcame the curse of Ra, allowing Nut to give birth to her five children, with his skill at games. It was he who helped Isis work the ritual to bring Osiris back from the dead, and who drove the magical poison of Set from her son, Horus with the power of his magic. He was Horus' supporter during the young god's deadly battle with his uncle Set, helping Horus with his wisdom and magic. It was Thoth who brought Tefnut, who left Egypt for Nubia in a sulk after an argument with her father, back to heaven to be reunited with Ra.

Tefnut, the Eye of Ra, became estranged from her father and fled into Nubia, taking all of her precious water with her. In this land, she transformed herself into a lioness. She raged through the countryside, emitting flames from her eyes and nostrils. Viciously, she drank the blood and fed on the flesh of both animals and humans. As time went on, Ra missed his Eye, and longed to see her again - Egypt had dried, and the land was in chaos. He summoned Shu to him, along with Thoth, who was the messenger of the gods and famous for his eloquence. Ra issued the command that Shu and Thoth must go to Nubia and bring back his recalcitrant daughter. Before they set off on their journey Shu and Thoth disguised themselves as baboons. The baboon is an animal sacred to Thoth. Eventually, Thoth and Shu found Tefnut in Begum. Thoth began at once to try and persuade her to return to Egypt. Tefnut, however, wasn't interested. She liked hunting in the desert and was perfectly happy where she was. Thoth would not give up though, and wove stories to depict to her how gloom had descended upon Egypt since she had left. The people of Egypt would do anything for her if she'd just return home. Ultimately, wooed by Thoth's promises, Tefnut relented and returned to Egypt accompanied by the two baboons. All the way there, Thoth kept her entertained with stories. Tefnut made a triumphant entry back into the homeland, accompanied by a host of Nubian musicians, dancers and baboons. She went from city to city, bringing back moisture and water, amid great rejoicing, until finally she was reunited with her father, and restored to her rightful position as his Eye.

When Ra retired from the earth, he appointed Thoth and told him of his desire to create a Light-soul in the Duat and in the Land of the Caves, and it was over this region that the sun god appointed Thoth to rule, ordering him to keep a register of those who were there, and to mete out just punishments to them. Thoth became the representation of Ra in the afterlife, seen at the judgment of the dead in the 'Halls of the Double Ma'at'.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 12:46:09 pm »

The magical powers of Thoth were so great, that the Egyptians had tales of a 'Book of Thoth', which would allow a person who read the sacred book to become the most powerful magician in the world. The Book which "the god of wisdom wrote with his own hand" was, though, a deadly book that brought nothing but pain and tragedy to those that read it, despite finding out about the "secrets of the gods themselves" and "all that is hidden in the stars".

He was one of the earlier Egyptian gods, thought to be scribe to the gods, who kept a great library of scrolls, over which one of his wives, Seshat (the goddess of writing) was thought to be mistress. He was associated by the Egyptians with speech, literature, arts, learning. He, too, was a measurer and recorder of time, as was Seshat. Believed to be the author of the spells in the Book of the Dead, he was a helper (and punisher) of the deceased as they try to enter the underworld. In this role, his wife was Ma'at, the personification of order, who was weighed against the heart of the dead to see if they followed ma'at during their life.

Thoth was usually depicted as an ibis headed man or as a full ibis, or with the face of a dog-headed baboon and the body of a man or, again, as a full dog-headed baboon. The ibis, it is thought, had a crescent shaped beak, linking the bird to the moon. The dog-headed baboon, on the other hand, was a night animal that was seen by the Egyptians who would greet the sun with chattering noises each morning just as Thoth, the moon god, would greet Ra, the sun god, as he rose.

In keeping with his many attributes, he was depicted with a variety of symbols. As a god of Egypt, he carried the ankh, the symbol of life, in one hand, and in the other he held a scepter, the symbol of power. In the 'Book of the Dead', he was shown holding a writing palette and reed pen to record the deeds of the dead. As voice of the sun-god Ra, he carried the utchat, or Eye of Ra, the symbol of Ra's ubiquitous power. Thoth was variously depicted wearing a crescent moon on his headdress, or wearing the Atef crown, or sometimes, the crown of Upper and Lower Egypt
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 12:47:53 pm »

Originally, Thoth was a god of creation, but was later thought to be the one who civilized men, teaching them civic and religious practices, writing, medicine, music and magic. He took on many of the roles of Seshat, until she became a dual, female version of Thoth.

The god of learning was also reputed to have been a god of measuring the passage of time, and thus the god of the Egyptian calendar. It is interesting to note that although he is related to the solar calendar in myth (where he won five extra days a year from Khonsu, the moon god), but that as a moon god himself, he was very probably closely related to Egypt's original lunar calendar:

"...Researchers of the ancient Egyptian calendar agree that the solar calendar of 360 + 5 days was not the first prehistoric calendar of that land. This 'civil' or secular calendar was introduced only after the start of dynastic rule in Egypt, i.e., after 3100 BC; according to Richard A. Parker (The Calendars of the Ancient Egyptians) it took place circa 2800 BC 'probably for administrative and fiscal purposes'. This civil calendar supplanted, or perhaps supplemented at first, the 'sacred' calendar of old. In the words of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, 'the ancient Egyptians originally employed a calendar based on the Moon'. According to R. A. Parker (Ancient Egyptian Astronomy) that earlier calendar was, 'like that of all ancient peoples', a calendar of twelve lunar months plus a thirteenth intercalary month that kept the seasons in place."

- Zecharia Sitchin, When Time Began

Thoth's centre of worship was at Khmunu (Hermopolis) in Upper Egypt, where he was the creator god, in Ibis form, who laid the World Egg. The sound of his song was thought to have created four frog gods and snake goddesses who continued Thoth's song, helping the sun journey across the sky.

He was the 'One who Made Calculations Concerning the Heavens, the Stars and the Earth', the 'Reckoner of Times and of Seasons', the one who 'Measured out the Heavens and Planned the Earth'. He was 'He who Balances', the 'God of the Equilibrium' and 'Master of the Balance'. 'The Lord of the Divine Body', 'Scribe of the Company of the Gods', the 'Voice of Ra', the 'Author of Every Work on Every Branch of Knowledge, Both Human and Divine', he who understood 'all that is hidden under the heavenly vault'. Thoth was not just a scribe and friend to the gods, but central to order - ma'at - both in Egypt and in the Duat. He was 'He who Reckons the Heavens, the Counter of the Stars and the Measurer of the Earth'.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/thoth.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:50:40 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 12:57:35 pm »

P H A R A O H ' S   S I G N S   O F   T H E   Z O D I A C

by Egyptian Government
Edited by Jimmy Dunn

We are told that the signs of the Zodiac as perceived and recorded by the pharaohs have recently been discovered at the Louvre Museum in Paris (source: Egyptian Government). People were to read their luck not as shown in daily newspapers under signs such as: Capricorn, Taurus, Aries etc, but rather according to the somewhat different ancient Egyptians horoscope.

The signs of the zodiac, which allegedly reflect the effect of stars on the destinies of people born within specific date groups, were first devised by the ancient Greeks. However, hundreds of years before, the ancient Egyptians had charted a similar map of the stars.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:59:39 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 01:03:19 pm »

Thoth (August 29 - September 27)

Thoth is the god of learning. Those born under this sign are typically accurate and capable problem-solvers and excellent organizers as well.

However, they would give up anything in return for a better offer.

Strengths: seasoned and original.

Weaknesses: rash, impatient and self-rigorous.

Jobs assumed: journalists, actors, lawyers and teachers.

Horus (September 28 - October 27)

Horus is the god of the shining sun. Those born under this sign would risk their lives to avenge father's death. They courageously face dangers and seldom forestall catastrophes.

Strengths: optimistic, brilliantly sociable and motivated to win the best in life.

Weaknesses: unrealistic, stubborn and reluctant to confront problems. Jobs assumed: politicians and media men.

Wadget (October 28 - November 26)

Wadget is the goddess of royal cobra; the symbol of knowledge. Those born under this sign are rational, cautious, conscientious, altruistic, ambitious and self-opinionated.

Strengths: Strongly loyal to family values.
Weaknesses: pessimistic, haughty and sometimes unsociable and miserly.

Jobs assumed: contractors, directors, architects, engineers and editors.

Sekhmet: (November 27 - December 26)

Sekhmet is the god of war and rivalry. Those born under this sign possess a brilliant mentality and sustained optimism and imagination.

They are eloquent and highly polemic in all fields.

Strengths: witty and highly adjustable in hard times.

Weaknesses: impatient, impetuous and quarrelsome.

Jobs assumed: teachers, lecturers, writers, announcers, investors.

Many of the world sports champions are born under this sign.

Sphinx: (December 27 - January 25)

Sphinx is the treasure guardian who could convert himself into the shape of any creature. Those born under this sign can change their attitudes to fit nearly all situations.

They are stern and shrewd and are characterized by an investigative faculty, self-discipline and high sensibility.

Strengths: While outwardly witty and humorous, in reality they are rather serious, discreet and discerning.

Weaknesses: They make misjudgments and are sometimes proud and haughty.

Job assumed: Self-employed.

Shu: (January 26 - February 24)

Shu is the god of sunlight and wind. Those born under Shu are incredibly creative. Whenever their talents are proved, their success becomes inevitable. Nevertheless, they are always apprehensive of possible failure.

Strengths: humorous, conscientious and principled.

Weaknesses: being hesitant, they often lose great opportunities.

Jobs assumed: social work, counseling, agriculture, care and prevention of cruelty to animals.

Isis: (February 25 - March 26)

Isis is the god of discipline. Those born under this sign are honorable, straightforward and idealistic. They use logic and intuition and view things from different perspectives. Their relationship with others are quite smooth.

Strengths: active and self-confident. Their thoughts and sense of humor render them quite popular.

Weaknesses: they get obsessed with ideas and retire when problems grow increasingly serious.

Jobs assumed: photography, commercial arts, and advertisements.

Osiris: (March 27 - April 25)

Osiris is the god of the nether world. Those born under this sign are emotionally perplexing and often misunderstood.

Strengths: dynamic, intelligent, always opportunity-taking and enterprising.

Weaknesses: avoid responsibility.

Jobs assumed: teaching and sales.

Amun : (April 26 - May 25)

According to ancient Egyptian beliefs, Amun was the god who constructed the world. Those born under this sign are strong, firm and always sought for guidance.

Strengths: strong will, outstanding courage and self-confidence. They are excellent leaders as long as they do not over task their followers. Weaknesses: obstinate and intolerant.

Jobs assumed: financial work.

Hathur: (May 26 - June 24)

Hathor is the goddess of the Earth and the Sky. She is emotional, expressive and strongly linked with love. Those born under this sign enjoy life to the dregs. They are experts at winning the best in most situations.

Strengths: charming and romantic.

Weaknesses: Irascible and easily stirred up to strong love or bitter hatred, jealous and envious.

Jobs assumed: social work, show arts, painting and communication.

Phoenix: (June 25 - July 24)

Phoenix is the bird of life and resurrection. Those born under this sign can create possibilities from scratch.

Strengths: Optimistic, flexible and can promote optimism in others.

Weaknesses: solitary, stubborn, dreamy and unrealistic.

Jobs assumed : risky jobs, sometimes self-employed and are most probably great engineers.

Anubis (July 25 - August 28)

Anubis is the guardian of the nether world. It is the most determined of all signs. Those born under this sign are self-confident and their ability to keep things under control make them widely respectable

Strengths: sympathetic, generous, loving and perseverant in proving their view point.

Jobs assumed: advertisement and fashion.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:06:25 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 01:10:37 pm »

H I S T O R I C A L   A S T R O L O G Y   I N   E G Y P T

In 331 BC, Alexander the Great founded the city of Alexandria. This marks the beginning of the Graeco-Roman period in Egypt’s history. Alexandria became one of the most famous of the Hellenistic capitals. Hellenism is the term describing the Greek way of life. The people of Alexandria retained some of their Egyptian culture, but it became mixed with that of the Greeks, Romans, Macedonians, Persians, Syrians, Jewish, and Chaldeans. When the Roman Empire began its decline, Alexandria managed to maintain its prestige as a center for cultural activity. By the time Alexandria began its decline, the scientific revolution was over, and astrology was accepted and believed by almost everyone. It was at this time that Claudius Ptolemy surfaced.

Almost nothing is known about Claudius Ptolemy. It is known that he was not Greek and was not even a Ptolemy (that is, he was not related to the Ptolemaic rulers). He was an Egyptian astronomer, mathematician, and geographer who lived in the vicinity of Alexandria. Bits and pieces of information from his writings and from comments from his contemporaries are the only sources of information about Ptolemy’s life. He was born in Upper Egypt, and some say that he was the head librarian at the museum or library at Alexandria.

Ptolemy worked from the data of past astrologers to map over one thousand stars. He compiled a list of 48 constellations, and, for the most part, described the longitude and latitude lines of the earth. He was a believer that the earth was the center of the universe and worked to advance this theory. His effort in this area was in his thirteen volume work called the Almagest. Here, the Ptolemaic system is described, thus explaining why some planets seemed to move backwards for periods of time in their orbit around earth. He theorized that each planet also revolved in a smaller circle as well as a larger one. This was called the "epicycle." This theory would survive for 1400 years, until it was finally accepted that the earth was itself another planet in orbit around the sun.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:19:11 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 01:12:13 pm »

Ptolemy also dabbled in other areas of study. He wrote the book, Geography, and in it created maps and latitudes and longitudes. He studied the refraction of light in his book, Optics. Also, he studied harmonics and wrote yet another book describing his findings. However, it was his work called Mathematical Treatise in Four Books, also referred to as The Prognostics Addressed to Syrus, that would be the foundation for modern astrology as it is practiced in the West. The name we use for the work today is the Tetrabiblos. Nothing is known about how Ptolemy acquired his data for this work; however, his access to the library at Alexandria would be the best guess.

No original version of the Tetrabiblos still exists. All that remain are translations and copies of it, the oldest of which is Arabic and dates only to AD 900. Eventually, the Latin translations became familiar to the Europeans. The English version was translated from that of the Greeks in 1940. There were four books to this work, and each dealt with a different aspect of astrology:

The first book defined Ptolemy’s reasoning for practicing astrology as well as astronomy, for by this time, there were many who opposed astrology. He said that it should not be abandoned merely because there are a few people who abuse it. This book also deals with the various alignments of planets, the moon, and the sun. Ptolemy describes in detail which positions are favorable and which are not. He also explained the signs, when they begin, and why they begin there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: