Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:30:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Gandalf Speaks: Ian McKellen On Returning To Middle Earth And Why It's Taken Him

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gandalf Speaks: Ian McKellen On Returning To Middle Earth And Why It's Taken Him  (Read 69 times)
One Ring to Rule Them All
Superhero Member

« on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:57 am »

Gandalf Speaks: Ian McKellen On Returning To Middle Earth And Why It's Taken Him So Long
By Josh Tyler
Published: 2011-01-10 23:06:14

Gandalf Speaks: Ian McKellen On Returning To Middle Earth And Why It's Taken Him So Long With the announcement today that Sir Ian McKellen
had at last agreed to return as Gandalf for Peter Jackson’s upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit, the internet collectively threw its hat in the air and rejoiced. What’s amazing though is that, apparently, McKellen didn’t seem to know whether we’d care.

Shortly after the official announcement of his casting in the film, Sir Ian posted about his involvement in the film on his official site. There he explains in part why he’s the last cast member on board, and talks about all the steps it’s taken to get him this far. Apparently he just wasn’t sure he still wanted to do it. Not because he doesn’t love the character, but because he’s 71 and though spry, worried that he might be more comfortable at home working in the theater. He explains:

As my agent continued to negotiate with Warner Brothers, I kept wondering was Gandalf what I most wanted to do, more than a new play for instance or indeed a new part? Sequels aren’t necessarily as rewarding to act in as their originals.

More than that though, he seems unaware of just how utterly iconic and irreplaceable his Oscar nominated work as Gandalf was. He says:

Could I let Gandalf go? Would anyone else care if I did? Elsewhere, does anyone care that Michael Gambon was not the first to play Dumbledore?

Though he does have a website, McKellen is 71 and maybe it’s safe to assume he doesn’t use the internet a ton. Maybe he simply hasn’t read all the millions of words written about how much having him as Gandalf means not just to the production, but to everyone who plans to see the two Hobbit movies once they’re released. By comparing himself to Richard Harris’s work as Dumbledore he does himself a disservice. His take on Gandalf was infinitely more significant. There’s a reason Harris wasn’t nominated for an Oscar while McKellen as Gandalf, was. All wizards are not created equal.

Whether or not he realizes just how important this role is to all of us, it does seem like it’s important to him, and ultimately he signed up. It may have even helped that they’ll be taking a break over the summer to accommodate the schedule of Martin Freeman, who has other commitments during those months. Says Sir Ian:

The deciding negotiation was not about money but about dates. Gandalf is needed on set over the next 18 months but with sizeable breaks when I can work on other projects. My worry that I could not easily escape from Middle Earth was lifted. I am happy to say I start filming in Wellington on February 21 2011.

We’re glad to have you back sir, The Hobbit wouldn’t be worth seeing without you.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Gandalf-Speaks-Ian-McKellen-On-Returning-To-Middle-Earth-And-Why-It-s-Taken-Him-So-Long-22550.html?_r=true
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:10:40 am »

Christopher Lee Will Almost Certainly Be In The Hobbit
By Eric Eisenberg
Published: 2011-01-11 16:00:48

Christopher Lee Will Almost Certainly Be In The Hobbit It might be too soon to call, but I think that this may be the best week for MGM in the past three years. On Monday it was announced that both Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen would be returning in their respective roles for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit and just this morning the next James Bond film, still tentatively titled Bond 23, was given a November 9, 2012 release date. Considering how rough it's been the classic studio in the last few years, however, they're due more than just three good news stories. So lets add a fourth, shall we?

On ChristopherLeeWeb.com, Christopher Lee's official website, it has been all but officially confirmed that the 88 year old actor will appear in the next film in the franchise, reprising his role as Saruman (yes, we know he's not in J.R.R. Tolkien's book, but apparently they've worked it out somehow). According to the website, the actor is still in talks but things now "look certain," provided that he is healthy enough.

Some of you may not know this, but Christopher Lee is a total and absolute badass who I'm 96% certain is immortal, so I'd be surprised if health actually turns out to be a factor. After all, how many octogenarians do you know that put out a symphonic metal album about Charlemagne last year?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/christopher-lee-will-almost-certainly-be-in-the-hobbit-22565.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTrC8tY-mto&feature=player_embedded
Report Spam   Logged
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:25 am »

Andy Serkis To Reprise His Role As Gollum In The Hobbit
By Eric Eisenberg
Published: 2011-01-10 15:40:49

Andy Serkis To Reprise His Role As Gollum In The Hobbit Andy Serkis' performance in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings
movies is probably the most iconic in the whole trilogy. From the motion capture technology to the voice, Serkis was a key component in blowing away audiences from 2001 to 2003. Lucky for us, he will be back for The Hobbit.

Deadline is reporting that Andy Serkis has closed the deal to reprise his role as Gollum in the newest adaptation from the J.R.R. Tolkien series, though there has been no confirmation yet from the actor's people. The character plays a vital role in the story as he and Bilbo Baggins have a riddling contest in a deep, dark cave where Bilbo discovers the One Ring ring Frodo carries to Mt. Doom in Lord of the Rings. If Bilbo wins, Gollum promises to let him go, but if Gollum wins, it's the end of Bilbo.

Word is that Ian McKellen, who plays the incredibly important role of Gandalf, is still working out a deal and both Christopher Lee
and Ian Holm have entered talks to play Saruman and the older Bilbo Baggins, respectively.

After so many years and incredible trials, it's fairly amazing that this production is still up and running, but they really do seem determined to make this film. It's great that they got Serkis back to reprise his role, but it is still worrisome that it's taking so long to get McKellen to commit to the project. Here's hoping things eventually work out and we get a live-action version of The Hobbit some time before 2025.

For a complete breakdown of The Hobbit cast so far, visit our preview page in the Blend Film Database.

UPDATE! Ian McKellan has just signed on. For more details on his casting go here.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/andy-serkis-to-reprise-his-role-as-gollum-in-the-hobbit-22537.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: