Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:02:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ISLAMIC Alchemy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ISLAMIC Alchemy  (Read 7021 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:00:11 am »

AL - TUGHRA'I
(1063-1120)

Mu'aiyid al-Din al-Tughra'i.

Masabih al-Hikma wa Mafatih al-Rahma.

This alchemist, who was a civil servant under the Seljuks Malik-shah and Muhammad, has great importance as a poet and a writer. His Lamiyyat al'ajam is very famous. He was executed in 1121.

In his Nihaya, Jaldakl tries to appraise the scientific value of al-Tughra'l: he was the most important alchemist since Jabir; his style has become perfect but his books can only be read by those who are already advanced in the great art. In his Kitab al-Masabt,h wa-l-maf tech (The Lamps and the Keys), he reports the teaching of the Ancients; he is more theoretical than practical. He declares in his poem that he has inherited his alchemy knowledge from Hermes. According to Jaldakl, his most important book on alchemy is MafAti,h al-rahma wa masabl,h al-,hikma.

*************************************************************************************

AL - TUGHRA'I

From Wikipedia:

Mu'ayyad al-Din Abu Isma‘il al-Husayn ibn Ali al-Tughra'i was an 11th-12th century Persian physician.

Mu'ayyad al-Din al-Tughra'i, was born in Isfahan in 1061CE, and was an important alchemist, poet, and administrative secretary (therefore the name Tughra'i'). He ultimately became the second most senior official (after the vizier) in the civil administration of the Seljuki empire.

He was, however, executed in 1121CE having been accused (unjustifiably, according to most historians) of being an apostate.

He was a well-known and prolific writer on Astrology and Alchemy, and many of his poems (diwan) are preserved today as well. In the field of Alchemy, al-Tughra'i is best known for his large compendium titled Mafatih al-rahmah wa-masabih al-hikmah, which incorporated extensive extracts from earlier Arabic alchemical writings, as well as Arabic translations from Zosimos of Panopolis old alchemy treatises written in Greek, which were until 1995 erroneously attributed to unknown alchemists by mistakes and inconsistencies in the transliteration and transcription of his name into Arabic[1]

In 1112CE, he also composed Kitab Haqa'iq al-istishhad, a rebuttal of a refutation of alchemy written by Avicenna.

See also

List of Iranian scientists
List of Muslim scientists

References

^ Prof. Dr. Hassan S. El Khadem. 1996. A Translation of a Zosimos' Text in an Arabic Alchemy Book. Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Volume 84. Number 3, Pages 168-178. September 1996

For his life, see:

F.C. de Blois, 'al-Tughra'i' in The Encyclopaedia of Islam, 2nd edition, ed. by H.A.R. Gibbs, B. Lewis, Ch. Pellat, C. Bosworth et al., 11 vols. (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1960-2002), vol. 10, pp 599-600.
For a list of his alchemical writings, see:

Manfred Ullmann, Die Natur- und Geheimwissenschaften im Islam, Handbuch der Orientalistik, Abteilung I, Erg?nzungsband VI, Abschnitt 2 (Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1972), pp 229-231 and 252-3.

For details about Zosimos of Panopolis translations, see: Prof. Dr. Hassan S. El Khadem. 1996. A Translation of a Zosimos' Text in an Arabic Alchemy Book. Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Volume 84. Number 3, pp 168-178. September 1996

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Tughrai"

Category: Iranian scientists

**************************************************************************************

Mu'aiyid al-Din al-Tughra'i.

Masabih al-Hikma wa Mafatih al-Rahma.

(The Lanterns of Wisdom and the Keys of Mercy).

Page 1 - Page 2
Seventeenth century.
Near East Section,
African and Middle Eastern Division (126.1)

Al-Tughra'i (1061-1121 or 1122) was an Arab poet, politician, soldier and scientist. He served during the reign of the Saldjuk Sultans and rose to become a grand vizier, but was eventually executed. Despite a very full and active life he wrote numerous poetic and scientific works. This is a page from one of only four copies known to be in existence today. It describes various instruments that weigh, measure, and mix metals and chemical compounds. Shown here are scales for weighing the four known elements at the time -- air, water, fire and earth.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/world/earth.html

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:24:43 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: