Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:48:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Is reading wife's e-mail a crime?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is reading wife's e-mail a crime?  (Read 346 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« on: December 28, 2010, 05:16:38 am »

Is reading wife's e-mail a crime? Rochester Hills man faces trial

By L. L. BRASIER
Free Press Staff Writer

Leon Walker of Rochester Hills is charged with unlawfully reading his then-wife's e-mail, which showed she was having an affair with her second husband, who once had been arrested for beating her in front of her son. Walker says he gave the e-mails to her first husband, the child's father, to protect the boy. "I was doing what I had to do," he said. (KIMBERLY P. MITCHELL/Detroit Free Press)

A Rochester Hills man faces up to 5 years in prison -- for reading his wife's e-mail.

Oakland County prosecutors, relying on a Michigan statute typically used to prosecute crimes such as identity theft or stealing trade secrets, have charged Leon Walker, 33, with a felony after he logged onto a laptop in the home he shared with his wife, Clara Walker.

Using her password, he accessed her Gmail account and learned she was having an affair. He now is facing a Feb. 7 trial. She filed for divorce, which was finalized earlier this month.

Legal experts say it's the first time the statute has been used in a domestic case, and it might be hard to prove

"It's going to be interesting because there are no clear legal answers here," said Frederick Lane, a Vermont attorney and nationally recognized expert who has published five books on electronic privacy. The fact that the two still were living together, and that Leon Walker had routine access to the computer, may help him, Lane said.

"I would guess there is enough gray area to suggest that she could not have an absolute expectation of privacy," he said.

About 45% of divorce cases involve some snooping -- and gathering -- of e-mail, Facebook and other online material, Lane said. But he added that those are generally used by the warring parties for civil reasons -- not for criminal prosecution.
What do you think?

Should it be legal to snoop into your spouse's e-mail?

http://www.freep.com/article/20101226/NEWS03/12260530/Is-reading-wife-s-e-mail-a-crime?-Rochester-Hills-man-faces-trial#ixzz19P61d8wA
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:36 am »

I think if a man or a woman have unresolved skeletons in the closet or a secret life while in a marriage then I wouldn't call it a marriage but a jerry springer / Maury Povich show guest hopeful?   
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:33:33 am »

I figure the u.s government is coming down on petty lovers quarrel hacking in light of wikileaks, and there using this poor guy that does what millions of married couples do all the time with there privacies as an example of a heavy 5 year prison penalty as a scare message to taunt Julian Assange if they ever get him to American in justice??

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »

No it shouldn't be.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »

I don't think there should be no insecure reason why to read anyone's personal messages? If uncomfortable speculative things like infidelity suspicions are to that point in a marriage, then maybe some relationship counsellings would be order? 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: