Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 03:32:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

On the Set of THOR!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the Set of THOR!  (Read 1313 times)
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 02:42:35 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:43:58 am »

Director Kenneth Branagh On Set Interview THOR
by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub    Posted:December 10th, 2010 at 9:00 am
0digg

As you might imagine, when you’re the director of a huge budget Hollywood movie like Marvel’s Thor, every moment of your day is accounted for.  So when I got to visit the set earlier this year when the production was shooting outside Los Angeles, I knew we might not get to speak with Kenneth Branagh.  On many set visits, getting to speak with the director is more difficult than an A-List actor.

But even though Branagh was incredibly busy, he came over to where I was standing (along with a few other online reporters) to talk about his first Marvel movie.  During the brief encounter, he compared his film to Iron Man 2, how the movie is huge in scope and more sci-fi than a lot of us expected, and he also talked about how the characters of Thor are incredible and how much fun he’d been having.  Hit the jump to either read or listen to what he had to say:

You can either read the full transcript or click here to listen to the audio.  Look for links to my other on set interviews and my full set report at the bottom of this article.  Thor gets released May 6, 2011.

Question: How does this compare to Iron Man 2?

Kenneth Branagh:  It’s a huge scale. But you can see the set… the hydraulics… it took months and month, actually years of planning. This is actually my eighteenth, nineteenth month on the project, and I’m enjoying it hugely. It’s massive and it what it contains actually that has a parallel to what the comics have is this is a combination of very personal stories that we recognize, you know, fathers and sons, but they’re amongst families of enormous power and consequence, so when they have an argument, the rest of the universe suffers, you know. And so they’re personal to the epic kind of thing, is, I think, is very enjoyable, from very intimate scenes with this challenge to try and find a way of talking that fulfills what I think people love about the comics, which is this sort of differentness and distinctiveness — you believe that they’re gods, they’re non-human. But, I don’t want them sounding like Shakespearean times and sounding in any way non-human. in a strange way, so the blur of the comics is always to make the feel at one and the same time, they’re god and they’re just like us. So far, I think we’ve trying to capture that well. We’re blessed with the actors. We have an amazing group of people who’ve been very excited, very motivated. They all came with incredible passion for the characters, for the comics, for the stories. You’ve probably spoken to some of them. Jaimie Alexander absolutely knows chapter and verse on set.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 02:44:25 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 02:44:58 am »

Yesterday, we were shooting… am I allowed to say this? But Stan Lee I had lunch with a year ago, starting to talk about this. He was around yesterday. Incredible passion for it all. We’ve been involved with other key people who are part of the Marvel World. We’re trying to find that balance that is in touch with what I believe is sort of learning from the past. It’s not an accident that Marvel is here now, the comics are here, that Joe Straczynski’s version of the comics is doing a fantastically imaginative treatment of the character and the landscapes of Asgard and contemporary Earth. What I’ve really enjoyed is the collaboration of all of that. My job is to guide and direct and move things along a bit, but it’s trying to select from a vast amount of talent that are around who know these stories so well. So I feel like … this one? These people have an incredible knowledge and incredible enthusiasm. It feels… it has… around Marvel and this project is kind of awash with passion and distinctiveness. People enjoy the challenges of it. Lots of ways to get it wrong. And lots of pitfalls to avoid. That makes it very interesting and very difficult, but really thrilling when you think you’ve got somewhere near it. But, you know, we’ve got miles to go and promises to keep and all sorts of things that we need to get right. But its been really huge, huge fun and challenging and continues to be so. I’m having a ball and just trying to do my best with it.

This is your first foray into science-fiction. Until today, a lot of us didn’t realize just how sci-fi Thor was going to be. Did your background doing period historical epics, like Henry the V, did that help prepare you and help get you on board for understanding the scale?

Branagh:  Certainly, I’m excited by epic subjects. It doesn’t particularly frighten me. And I like that moment of going into the dark with 2,000 people, that you’re ready to accept  larger than life things. You’re ready to accept a kind of heightened reality that is a kind of cathartic release that you enjoy vicariously the much greater problem than you’ll ever face — unless you’re trying to run nine realms across the cosmos — but nevertheless, there’s still central human problems that remain in the same sort of… the size of things is one of the things that is partly attractive. How do you make that attractive to people? We’re always interested in the lives of great people and what goes on behind closed doors, like The West Wing, what happens on a series like that in the corridors of power and how as, it were, “normal people” are there in the middle of these epic things like an inauguration or a coronation and how does that human and larger dynamic work. So I’m practiced in it, which doesn’t make it any easier, but I find it fun. It’s part of the escapism that this offers, and I mean that in the sense of it’s truly cathartic, it truly is fun to be part of a world where those things can be discussed in a way that maybe offers insight, but, bottom line, offers entertainment. I’m making a really entertaining film that doesn’t insult the audience but isn’t trying to be a secret art film or anything. It’s just a big-hearted kind of account of these incredible characters who have lasted across the several thousand years of Norse mythology and the last 50 years of Marvel, who raided this mythology so brilliantly, with such imagination, that you’re really aware of a fantastic amount of talent behind you. Which you can go and be inspired by and borrow from and ask questions about and so that’s … You know, one of the problems with Shakespeare is that you can never give him a ring. I’ve tried bo many times. He never calls. You can talk to Stan Lee. You can talk to Joe Michael Straczynski. There’s a lot of people that are key to all of this. And then you’ve got the feverish enthusiasm of the guys here. You do feel as though they want to make these movies, they’re passionate and enthusiastic about it.  And it’s that that we talk about. We don’t talk about bottom lines or whatever.

(He gets a sign he’s needed elsewhere)

What they do talk about, however, is that I need to turn over 40 visual effects shots by the end of today. That’s what I now have to go and do. So I’m going to look at things that will turn into extraordinary fantastical things, but I have to choose them now, so that they can go off and be in the edited version of my film when I show my cut in a wee while. So if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go and do that. Thank you. I appreciate you being interested. Thanks so much for coming. Thanks a lot.

http://www.collider.com/2010/12/10/kenneth-branagh-interview-thor-on-set-interview/
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 02:45:14 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 02:46:47 am »

Ray Stevenson (Volstag) and Joshua Dallas (Fandril) On Set Interview THOR
0digg

When I visited the set of Thor earlier this year, I was able to participate in an interview with Ray Stevenson and Joshua Dallas.  As two of the three members of The Warriors Three (Volstag and Fandril), they talked about their characters and what it was like to make the movie.  For those who haven’t read the comic, here’s how Marvel describes them:

Serving amongst the highest of Asgard’s royal court, the Warriors Three have proved a fearsome trio to their enemies, truly living up to the motto of “All for One, and One for All.” Inseparable in battle as well as in leisurely pursuits, the Warriors Three remain unwaveringly loyal to Asgard’s kingdom, citizens, and ideals.

In addition, Stevenson and Dallas talked about working for Branagh, Stevenson talked about wearing a fat suit, Dallas talked about how his character has a Errol Flynn vibe, and a lot more.  You can either read or listen to what they had to say after the jump:

You can either read the full transcript below or click here to listen to the audio.  Look for links to my other on set interviews and my full set report at the bottom of this article.  Thor gets released May 6, 2011.

-

Question: Can each of you give us your own take on your character?

Ray: I’m Volstag and what you see is what you get. He’s a bon vivant lover of life epicurean goodfellow. He’s a god, which helps. He’s full of life. He reminds me very much of Falstaff. There’s a wonderful innocence to him and the steadfast loyalty of a big Saint Bernard dog. He’d come running through the snow with a keg of beer to save your life. You know, he’s got a twinkle in his eye. He’s always up for a party. Yeah, that’s about it. He’s an all-around good egg. Big egg, but a good egg.

Joshua: Fandril. Fandril the dashing, I think he would like to think of himself. A philanderer. He would like to think of himself, I was saying, as the R. Kelley of Asgard. He’s a lover, not a fighter. You know what I’m saying? I’ve seen Trapped in the Closet and Keep It On the Downlow. All that kind of stuff. Fandril is a fun-loving guy. He’s a ladies man. It’s always debatable how successful he is at that. He thinks he’s pretty successful. He thinks that all the ladies love him and, if they don’t, then they will soon come around to the idea of loving him. He’s fiercely loyal to Thor and the Warriors Three. They look out for each other. They would rather have a good time, but if he’s gotta fight, he’ll fight. But, yeah. He’s a great character to play.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 02:47:05 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 02:47:36 am »

Why is he being carried in this scene?

Joshua: He had a run-in with some guys. He got a little hurt, but he went out with style and it’s all okay. But, yeah, he’s just a little hurt. A mere flesh wound. And Volstag, he’s helping me out. His heart is as big as his stomach and he’s looking out for me.

How many times have you dropped this guy?

Ray: Well, there’s always time for one more.

Ray, the costume is pretty enormous but it also looks like something you could really pull on. Is it an empowering suit?

Ray: There was one morning where I had the hair and beard and I showed up to call still in my shirt and jeans. When you’re wearing jeans there’s a shift in your center of gravity. A costume like this and a character like this, there’s no way to hide. If you try and play him any way sort of modern or normal, you diminish. He’s larger than life. He’s 150 percent. You’ve got to go for it all the time. It was just impossible. I was walking out my door and I thought, ‘No, I’ve got to at least get my suit on. I won’t be able to rehearse. I won’t be here.’ So, yeah, it is empowering. It’s all or nothing. Very much like him.

Joshua: I think that’s true very much with the Warriors Three because, if you’re modern in any way, it doesn’t quite work. You have to really go for it completely and just enjoy it so much.

Do you speak with a British accent in the film?

Joshua: Yes, I do.

Maybe even an Errol Flynn kind of vibe?

Joshua: Yes, definitely. He was a big inspiration for the character and for me. I watched a lot of his movies and kind of got that into my bones. I tried to bring out that little bit of Flynn-ness in it. Flynn had a lot of that boyish charm that Fandril’s got all that in him.

Ray: If there was an elevator or a ladder next to a sail, he’d use his knife and slide down the sail.

Joshua: Exactly. Just because it looks fantastic.

Ray: He knows how to make an entrance.

You mention Fallstaff. Can you talk a little more about that?

Ray: He is very much Fallstaffian. The way Shakespeare wrote Fallstaff is with a heightened language and everything. That’s the genuis of having Ken Branagh here as well. Shakespeare doesn’t require you to have a doctorate in his language or whatever to understand him. It just has to be directed and played right. It’s all about scale and presence and getting these huge, epic stories across. Hence the genius of having Ken steer this ship as well. You have to invest these characters with a Shakespearian quality and not in a way that might disengage the audience but in a way that actually lets you play to an audience.

Joshua: You can’t apologize in any way for the characters. You just have to go for it.

How much back story do we learn about the characters in the film?

Ray: There’s not a lot of direct back story but you do get to see them playing around each other a lot.

Joshua: I think from the very beginning when we see these characters you know their backstory. You know immediately what each one is about. Definitely.

Ray: You don’t get to find out where we met or how we met or what food is my favorite or what our birth signs are. Nothing like that. The story is just there.

We saw the throne room and heard about the 300 extras and the shot of you and Thor coming in. What was that experience like?

Joshua: Exhilarating. Amazing.

Ray: It really reminds me of the great movies of the 30’s and 40’s with huge sets and voluminous fireplaces you could walk around in. Glazed floors. I was expecting a Busby Berkley dance number. Big fanfare and all the girls coming out. I’d have joined in. It’s got that scale, you know? Its –

Joshua: Epic.

Ray: Epic with a capital E.

Can you tell us about the third, missing warrior and how you both relate to him?

Ray: He doesn’t speak much.

Joshua: He’s a bit grim. But yeah, he’s amazing. He’s an amazing actor.

Ray: We all miss him. He’s off being a big star in Japan –

Joshua: –Picking up awards. He’s nominated for two films this week.

Ray: He doesn’t speak much but when he does, everybody shuts up. But also in the healing room where everyone licks their wounds, he’s the guy who just goes about his business. It’s all very Asgardian. There’s lava rocks and a big fireplace. Golden ram’s head and all that. It’s rich. It’s rich.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 02:48:15 am »

Joshua: He is Hogan.

How does it feel doing a second film for Marvel?

Ray: Great. Absolutely. You know, my internship will be over soon (laughs). Actually, to put it politely, its a **** honor. It’s a real honor to represent such a company as Marvel, too. They have a lot of faith if it means I can come back and do it again all suited up. It’s all about the integrity of their characters. They care so much about the loyalty and integrity of each and every character and all of their stories. They trust and love their readership. They’re the ones who have invested in these stories. They’re the ones who have went out and bought the comic book whenever it came out. They’re the real investors. They serve them. Having a chance to be part of that Marvel Universe is just — well, it is what it is. It’s just fantastic.

I’m guessing that part of your responsibility, too, though is the comic relief and the levity –

Ray: What?! (Feigning shock) Comedy?

Joshua: Levity?!

Ray: You think we’re here to make you laugh?

Joshua: Well yeah…

Ray: I hope so.

Joshua: I think our characters, the Warriors Three, are definitely full of a lot of charm.

Ray: We’re full of wit.

Joshua: Wit, charm and sincerity and I hope that comes across in the movie.

Ray: We are. We are a bit of levity.

Is this mark on your arm part of this specific scene?

Ray: Yeah. I could tell you about it, but I’d have to kill you.

It looks very frostbitten?

Ray: Does it? (Feigning surprise) Interesting.

How much fun are you having with this big axe?

Ray: My battle axe? Actually, in rehearsals we act with all the stunt boys and I’m wielding this two-handled battle axe.  When you’re in full costume, you can’t actually put your hands together. It is a lot of fun. He’s not going to have a little desert knife, is he?

Are you looking forward to filming in New Mexico?

Ray: Yeah, I was there last year. I was in Albuquerque last year and this is Santa Fe. Nobody should live there. It’s a desert. I’ll be spitting dust for weeks. Altitude dust. Santa Fe has Georgia O’Keefe and all that beautiful stuff.

We heard that you guys are blowing up a town.

Joshua: It’s possible. Anything’s possible with Thor.

Ray: One town?

Joshua: Yeah, it’s just one small little town.

Ray: We’re flying over the galaxies on bi-frost bridges and stuff.

Part of this seems to be set in a world where you guys fit in perfectly and the rest is very much on Earth.

Ray: Yes, but on Earth we started it all, you see. This is just one of the realms. This is where all the legends come from. All the ruins have gone into myths and Norse mythology. It’s all us, love. It was all us before that. They’ve forgot their place, really. They think, “Oh, you speak our language?” and it’s actually, “No, you’re speaking ours.”

Joshua: We invented it.

Could you explain a little what powers you have over the people on Earth? Are you gods?

Ray: Well, we are gods

Joshua: Compared to humans, Asgardians have superhuman strength and ability, agility. Everything is to the max.

Ray: If a car is in the way, I’ll just move it.  You know, there’s no laser beams out of my eyes.

Can you take a bullet?

Ray: Those little metal things? (mock disgust) We actually have a look at one of those.

Joshua: A bullet? What is that? I would cut that with my Asgardian steel.

Can you talk about working with Anthony Hopkins?

Ray: He’s glorious. Just glorious. When they talk about presence and you’re in the presence of somebody who has that much presence, it’s just — you don’t have to do anything.

Joshua: I think, like Ray says, a lot of the time actors have something that they have for free and something they don’t have to work at. Tony definitely has that status.

Ray: And there’s Rene Russo!

Joshua: Yeah, what a beauty.

Ray: I’m her silent champion. (Laughs) For me, that woman is on a pedestal so high. I mean, he’s commander in chief, don’t get me wrong but her, she’s just exemplary. Statuesque and regal.

Joshua: Behind every great man, there’s a great woman.

What are your thoughts on a Rome movie? Has there been any movement?

Ray: I’m having a movement right now (laughs). I’m afraid I’m unqualified to answer, really. I’ve read the rumors. There’s a lot of political questions to be answered. A lot of hell to go through. If there was the slightest chance Pullo could right again… It would be fun. It wouldn’t be dull.

http://www.collider.com/2010/12/10/ray-stevenson-joshua-dallas-interview-thor/
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 02:49:27 am »

Colm Feore On Set Interview THOR; The King of the Frost Giants Reveals All!
0digg

It’s not too often I get to interview someone while they’re in full makeup.  But when I got to visit the set of Thor earlier this year,  Colm Feore did his interview in full costume and makeup as the King of the Frost Giants.  If you’re not familiar with the Frost Giants in Thor’s mythology, I’m not going to spoil how they play into the story.  But I think it’s safe to say they’re not going to be BFF’s with Thor and his friends…

And while I’d love to run an image of what Feore looked like as it was incredible, Marvel has yet to unveil his character and what he looks like.  However, the trailer for Thor is getting released later today and if there is an image of his character, I’ll update the story (he’s the one who is blue from head to toe).  Just trust me when I say you will not believe your eyes when you see what he looks like.  And it was all done practically!

During the interview Feore talked about his costume and makeup (which takes over 4 hours and is 17 pieces), explains his character and the research he did to get ready for the role, his thoughts on Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and a lot more.  Hit the jump to either read or listen to what he had to say:

You can either read the full transcript below or click here to listen to the audio.  Look for links to my other on set interviews and my full set report at the bottom of this article.  Thor gets released May 6, 2011.

-

(when asked to pronounce his name)

Colm Feore: Colm Feore. Newspaper column, Norwegian water. Column of steel, column of virtue, just for God’s sake, Colm.

Question: I’m just going to jump in and say, “Oh my God” with the makeup. Could you talk a little bit about, did you know what you were getting yourself into and has it been a challenge doing this?

Feore:  You know what, I didn’t really until they came to my house and they said, “We have to do an impression of your feet, your hands, your teeth, your head, well pretty much everything. And then could you take a kind of heroic pose? Because we’re going to do some digital photographs and then they’re going to copy this and then they’re going to make something.” And I said, “Well, okay.” And out of sight, out of mind. I didn’t think about it until I showed up, went to Legacy [Effects], and they had pictures of me, the design, this, next to half-naked pictures of Iggy Pop. Now, without telling you too much about myself, half-naked…me and Iggy Pop look a lot alike. I’m not going to tell you which half. But as you can see, I’m not wearing a lot of clothes.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 02:49:53 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:19 am »

So, I said, “Is this what it’s going to be?” and they said, “Yeah and this is how it works.”  This outfit, this costume is remarkable for a lot of reasons, not least of which it’s about 17 different pieces. The only thing that’s real, that’s me, is from here to here. Everything else, and I mean everything, top to bottom, everything is fake. And it’s laid on in four-and-a-half hours by this genius, Ve Neill, of course three-time Oscar winner [for] makeup and Arin [Finger] from Legacy [visual effects producer: Digital Domain Vancouver] who sculpted and designed all this. And it comes in a variety of these pieces and they just put each one on and glue me into it, paint me blue and stitch me up and then wheel me out. It’s remarkable. And it takes forever. And slightly longer to get off. I’ve been doing a lot of work recently in trying to apologize to people for the blue eyeliner and the blue fingernails and the blue everything. Finally I just gave up. I just said, “Ya know, I’m in here every day shopping. Yes. I am a stripper. I work nights, okay? So if you don’t mind, just cut me some slack. Give me the bread, give me the wine, I’m leaving.”

It’s a little madness. But I kind of enjoy it, because it gives me a good four-and-a-half hours here at three in the morning when no one else is here, it gives me a chance to get into what the character is going to be. I start to assume the physicality and all the stuff that Ken Brannagh and I have talked about in terms of where this character sits and how he’s evolved. And, four-and-a-half hours later, this appears. From inside, it feels different to me than it looks to you, but it actually works as far as I’m concerned. I think it’s pretty scary and the voice…the voice is dropped. It really is. Clint [Eastwood] in outer space. “Get off my lawn,” is going to be my best line. “Don’t eat my dog.” Ya know? It’s going to be fun, because you don’t expect sensitivity, humanity, humor, heartbreak from this kind of guy, but the way Ken directs we managed to get all of that. So it’s been a wonderful synthesis of machinery, artistry and just good-on, old craft.

The red lenses, what exactly can you see? Is everything obscured?

Feore: Well, if you’re not a man in glasses standing in front of me with a tape recorder going like this, I can’t see anything. But if you are, then I see perfectly well.

How does this sort of restrict your movement, or can you hear?

Feore: Sorry, what?

(laughter) I fell right for that.

Feore: You did. No, this is the Nureyev of suits, this thing. It moves perfectly with me. It’s glued to me. I am stuck in it in ways that are really unimaginable…and indescribable.

How do you go to the bathroom then?

Feore: You don’t.  I lost four nails the other day looking for my ****. And they told me, “You’re not to do that again.” I said, “Well, four-and-a-half hours in, 10 hours shooting, an hour-and-a-half out. Something’s gotta give, because, and I’ll tell you guys, please don’t tell anybody else, it comes in two pieces. So, we get into the first piece. Then, layer, layer, layer, do all of this. Then we jump into the trousers. Then I’m zip-tied in to this bottom piece and glued into the feet. So you can’t get out. There is a zipper…somewhere. But it’ll cost you money to find out where. And to actually make it functional, it’s pretty ridiculous. So, I plan ahead.

Are you ‘a’ Frost Giant or are you all of them, multiple?

Feore:  “A” Frost Giant? I am the King of Frost Giants. And if you’ve seen any of the Frost Giants, you know that I am, of course, the Napoleon of Frost Giants. We’ve got some massive, fabulous guys who dwarf me and come in at around eight-and-a-half feet, nine feet.  But, no. Can’t you tell by the commanding presence? I am the boss. The music will be big. When I show up there’ll be a big storm, there’ll be wind. No, it’s worked out beautifully. It’s very articulated and articulatable. The face moves with me. I have every range of expression. And, I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to talk to Ken at all, but he’s brilliant. He’s brilliant for a lot of reasons. Not least of all because he’s been an actor his whole life. So he knows how to tighten the narrative of what he would do as an actor, so he can get inside and say three helpful words on a very tight schedule, an expensive schedule and just get right to the heart of the point. But he also is looking for most of it, here, right? It’s gotta be in the eyes. And if they don’t work, we’ve got nothing. So it had to be this expressive. [pauses for a scene being shot in the background] See this is way more acting than I’m being paid for. I’m much more subtle. They’re young, you see. Enthusiastic.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:43 am »

The work you’ve been known for in the past, like I love your Glenn Gould, but this seems like this is a totally new experience for you.

Feore: A departure? Well, this is not my first time in special effects make-up. I did a Stephen King thing years ago called Storm of the Century which was wacky. And the technology was much more primitive then. It was six hours in the chair doing all that kind of stuff. I’ve done rigorous appliqué make-up. Is it different from what I usually do? Chronicles of Riddick is space, sci-fi, looked a little sort of cartoony. I do everything. I just finished playing MacBeth and Cyrano de Bergerac in repertoire in a theater, came straight here to do this. They all feel, interestingly enough, as if they cross-pollinate, because everything that I’ve done in the theater, Brannagh is using. It was me and [Anthony] Hopkins and Ken standing around talking about, “Well, this is sort of like Lear. Is that sorta like…?” And we were using this shorthand for how to communicate effectively and immediately out here when it’s costing somebody serious money. So, to me, it isn’t a big departure. It’s just another job for which I hope I’ll get paid. As far as I’m concerned, the check doesn’t bounce, it’s a hit, I go home.

Are you able to walk around outside or are they being very careful with you?

Feore: You know what, I have seen…did you all come in this back hallway, and you saw me in that chair? That’s as far as I’ve got to the outside hall. I have a dressing room three doors down and it has a big dark curtain in it. That’s all I’ve seen for the four months that I’ve been shooting. I went to craft service today. I got a coffee outside because I did my electronic press kit interview at 6:45 this morning and I was allowed to walk in my street clothes to get coffee. I have never been seen outside. I have never seen outside. And I get it, because a lot of smart people have spent a lot of time thinking about the look, the design, the acting, the script and we’ve refined this as best we can, but we’re still working on it day by day by day. We’re refining it, we get new script pages and new ideas are coming.

We don’t want anybody to come off half-cocked and make a decision about what we’re only in the middle of doing, right? So if there’s shots of me out there, then somebody’s going to say, “Oh, that’s not the right way. That’s not this and that.” It has to be seen in context. And in the context of, as I say, confident [that] a lot of smart people have given it a lot of thought. So, no I don’t get outside and I’m actually okay with that. And I think it’s kind of fun.  They were asking me at customs the other day coming in, I live in Canada, and they say, “What are you doing?” and I say, “Thor” “What’s it about?” “Can’t tell ya. Kid with a hammer. It’s big.” “What do you play?” “Ooo. That’s gonna cost ya.” I’m trying to get into the country and I have to be nice. And she said, “Well, I love everything you do. I’ll buy a ticket.” I said, “Good. May 6th, 2011, 7:30, Mann Chinese. Be there.”

Could you talk about the research you did when you found out you were going to be entering this universe? Did you read the books?

Feore: Yeah, I looked at a lot of the comics and I tried to just get an idea from that. Not necessarily specifics of what my look would be or what the plan would be because I knew the script was evolving. I then started the discussion with Ken, who had been in discussion with you guys, intimately. And that they’d pared it down. So I didn’t want to spend too much time going all over the map on this.  I thought, “Okay, what do you really want?” And he said, “If you’re very, very good, I’ll send you a secret link to a secret site and you can have a secret look at a teeny little picture which will melt the moment you say ‘click ok’ and it’ll melt with your initials on it so you’re doomed if it goes anywhere else.” And I said, “Okay. Let me see that and then I want you to tell me what you’d like it to sound like.”

So now I’ve got the look that we’re talking about and I’ve got Ken’s idea of what it might sound like. We started talking about different ideas. We joked about it. I said to him, “Ken, you’ve really screwed me here.  You cast Tony Hopkins. And I appreciate that it’s great for the movie, but I was going to play it like Tony Hopkins.” I was. I did a movie for Julie Taymor with him years ago called Titus, big Shakespeare thing with Jessica Lange. And I was asked to play his little brother. And they said, “Well, the thing about playing his little brother, you might have to act a little bit like Tony Hopkins.” And, forgive my teeth, but I can actually act a little bit like Tony Hopkins. I can sound like Tony Hopkins, I can actually do the whole, kind of, Tony Hopkins thing. And I thought, “Ken, I’ll give you Tony Hopkins, only, as you said, much cheaper.”

Then we’ve gone and cast him! And I said, “Oh! Shoot me first, then Tony will have to think of something else to do. He’s an actor, he can be stretched out. For me, it’s a huge leap forward. A poor man’s Tony Hopkins, it’ll be great.”  But then he showed up and we were there on the same day. I didn’t have the heart to take his characterization, his personality away from him. So I said, “Well, what if I do an homage to Tony Hopkins, with a whisper of Max von Sydow, filtered through Paul Scofield?” Yeah, that’s about it. There’s a little something else. We kept adjusting the mix as we went and it actually worked out beautifully. So we started to assemble a palette of colors and sounds. And I said, “Okay. I will confine my research now to just what we’re going to be doing.” And Ken is so specific and so on time. Last December, maybe even late November, he said, “I’m going to be shooting a close-up of you on the first day of the first roll of film and it’ll be very important. And if we’d like it to be in the movie, you’d better be ready.” Usually it doesn’t happen like that. We shoot the wide, we shoot mediums, the actors warm up, they get a little bit familiar with the lines, they maybe even read the script. And then by the end of the day, we get it. He knew full well by that point the make-up might have simply melted off. So eight o’clock, in the morning, Friday the 8th of January, he was here. And he had a tight schedule. We needed to be done [with] that by lunch because something else was coming in, and so that sharpens your focus a good deal. So, for me, it was about sticking very close to the script, to the look and all our discussions about how it would sound.

Also, he’s a smart guy. He rehearsed us when it doesn’t cost much money, because there’s nobody else there really looking at the clock. It’s just a bunch of guys in the room saying, “What if we tried this? What if we tried that?” And Marvel has been extraordinary in responding to the things we just came up with. There was a wonderful moment where Tony and I, we have a confrontational scene. Originally, it was scripted, we were miles apart, because it’s a huge, heroic kind of thing. But we were in a little room rehearsing and there was something that Ken liked about the intimacy.
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:08 am »

And I said, “Well I’ve got some superpowers, (that I don’t want to share with you here yet) but maybe I could use something like that.” And Craig said, “Absolutely, we might have something…” I show up the other day, we just shoot the scene. On the strength of that rehearsal, on that idea that we had, they built a launching thing out of the floor that would match for the sci-fi, go with the green screen so that we could go slam into a tiny intimate scene, about two guys going, “You know, your kid’s a **** idiot.” “Yeah, I know. But you were an idiot once, too.” “Not that big an idiot. I might have to kill him.” “Oh, please don’t.” “**** you.” “**** you, too.”  And then we go back to the huge big deal. We made this happen, they spent the money where it counted, it cost nothing to have the idea. But God bless you guys, Marvel came behind them and said, “This is a good idea. This really helps our narrative leap forward.” So that’s what we’ve been doing. You don’t mess around with Ken because when the ship sails, the ship sails. You get a couple of chances to be in the movie and, as I said, if I’m no good in this movie it won’t be his fault. He’s tried everything.

What is Chris Hemsworth bringing to the role of Thor?

Feore: Chris? Oh, he’s playing Thor? (laughter) Well, he’s very loud. And apparently, some people say, he’s very handsome. He’s not a tall blue. No, he’s charming. Beaming smile. And that kind of youthful, heroic idiocy that you expect from an action hero, right? No, he’s extraordinary. One of the chief things about him is that he’s charming. It’s actually hard for me to be really mad at him and growl at him, but I imagine he’s an idiot. And it helps, because we need somebody at the core of this picture to be the leader. We need to believe in him.  And guys like me, I depend on him, you see. The more charming and the more agreeable and the more heroic he is, the more I hate him. And it makes sense, you know, “The world will be a better place when I get rid of you.” So, he clearly is doing a very good job. He’s sexy, I guess, after a fashion you’d have to tell me that, I don’t know. For people under a certain age, apparently he’s attractive. Fit. God knows he looks pretty good in the outfit. And he’s funny. That goes a long way. Charm is an intangible. Chutzpah, charm, charisma, that kind of thing, you can’t buy it. You either have it or you don’t. He’s got it in spades. And with his master Ken showing him the ropes and guiding him, it’s all going very, very well.
http://www.collider.com/2010/12/10/colm-feore-interview-thor-on-set-interview/
Report Spam   Logged
Trovillion
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:31 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: