Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:49:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The facts about human cruelty to....

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The facts about human cruelty to....  (Read 129 times)
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« on: October 30, 2010, 03:46:21 pm »

From spying cats to bomb-sniffing bees, animals have served some unusual roles in military operations.

Here are 10 of the strangest ways the world's militaries have used animals to gather intelligence, nab terrorists, and fight wars.

Toward the end of World War II, the U.S. Air Force was looking for a more effective way to attack Japanese cities, when Dr. Lytle S. Adams, a dental surgeon, contacted the White House with an idea.

Adams suggested strapping small incendiary devices to bats, loading them into cages shaped like bombshells, and dropping them from a plane. Bats would then escape from the shells and find their way into factories and other buildings where they would rest until their miniature bombs exploded.

The U.S. military began developing these “bat bombs” in the early 1940s, but the first test went awry when the bats set fire to an Air Force base in Carlsbad, N.M. After that, the project was turned over to the Navy, which completed a successful proof concept where the bats were released over a mock-up of a Japanese city.

More tests were scheduled for the summer of 1944, but the program was canceled because of its slow progress. The U.S. military invested an estimated $2 million in the project.

So there is a price tag on ways to hurt poor animals to accomidate the will of your masters.

Anti-tank dogs were used by the Soviet Union during World War II to fight German tanks. Dogs with explosives harnessed to their backs were trained to seek food under tanks — when the dog was underneath the vehicle a detonator would go off, triggering an explosion. While some Soviet sources claim that about 300 German tanks were damaged by the dogs, many say this is simply propaganda trying to justify the program.

In fact, the Soviet anti-tank dog had several problems. Many dogs refused to dive under moving tanks during battle because they had been trained with stationary tanks, a fuel-saving measure.

Gunfire also scared many of the dogs away, and they would run back to the soldiers’ trenches, often detonating the charge upon jumping in. To prevent this, the returning dogs were shot — often by the people who had sent them — which made trainers unwilling to work with new dogs.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Caleb
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

The Russians must hate dogs.  The first living thing they shot up into space was a dog, who, of course, either died of shock or was incinerated upon re-entry.  Course  this country seems to hate monkeys.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:13:52 am »

It's sad to think that we would use an animal, who has nothing to do with war. To kill them needlessly.
Report Spam   Logged

Kasey Ewing
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »

Poor animals.  You can tell the most about a society when it comes to how it treats it's animals.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 05:28:31 pm »

I agree. We need to take some regaurd to the natural world arounds us. It's all a part of us.
Report Spam   Logged

Lawrence Fragg

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:53 pm »

Don't forget to vote Republican in the upcoming election.  We will insure that our largest corporations will be able to continue to exploit these useful animals for the maximum corporate profit for generations s to come.
Report Spam   Logged
Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:29:35 am »

Are you still doing paranormal investigations, Herefornow?
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 02:49:13 am »

Trent! Hi...

Actually brother I have stopped doing things in that feild. I have my reasons.
Experience is something to learn from.

I am into the sciences of everything living though.
I'll message you a link to my FB sometime and maybe we can catch each other up on things.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:51:54 am by HereForNow » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: