Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:42:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lightning bolt strikes Statue of Liberty

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning bolt strikes Statue of Liberty  (Read 850 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »

It's sterling recompense for braving a storm. When New York photographer Jay Fine spent an evening trying to capture Mother Nature at her worst, he could only have dreamed of coming away with a photograph like this.

This is the amazing moment a lightning bolt was captured as it struck the iconic Statue of Liberty.

Mr Fine spent nearly two hours in Battery Park City poised with his camera and took more than 80 other shots before striking lucky with this particular bolt of lightning at 8.45pm on September 22.
Bolt from the blue: Jay Fine captured this incredible image as lightning strikes the Statue of Liberty in New York harbour

Bolt from the blue: Jay Fine captured this incredible image as lightning strikes the Statue of Liberty in New York harbour

The 58-year-old, who has been trying for more than 40 years to capture the magnificent moment, said he was stunned when he saw the image.

He said: 'I had been watching weather reports so I knew a storm was coming and it just seemed like a great opportunity.

'I was ready and waiting when the lightning finally started and took 81 shots before finally getting this one.

'I was shocked when I realized what had happened.

'It was pure luck really, a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's the first photograph of its kind I have ever seen.'

Lady Liberty is thought to have been hit by about 600 bolts of lightning every year since she was built in 1886.

The statue is made up of enormous copper plates and is 305ft tall.
Storm: The iconic New York monument, made from copper plates, is thought to be hit by up to 600 bolts of lightning every year

Storm: The iconic New York monument, made from copper plates, is thought to be hit by up to 600 bolts of lightning every year

Iconic: Mr Fine has been trying to capture an image of lightning hitting the Statue of Liberty for the last 40 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1319837/Statue-Liberty-struck-lightning-bolt-photographer-captures-images.html#ixzz12fd1M9cL
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darkoth, the Death-Demon

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

**** amazing photograph.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:09:12 am »

Imagine being in there when lightning strikeds?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: