Atlantis Online
April 16, 2024, 04:56:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What did you do before they invented the Internet?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do before they invented the Internet?  (Read 380 times)
Trent
Superhero Member

« on: October 11, 2010, 03:48:55 am »

I have been wracking my brain for that answer the last couple of days and I can't really imagine it.

The internet first hit big in 1996 (although it was invented way back in the 60s).  Since then, it has only gotten bigger each year, to the point that we are getting all our news, music and movies from there.

But what was life like before that?  A lot slower, for one thing.  People weren't as "connected."  You had to have actual conversations with people face to face to be friends with them and, when you wanted to buy something, you couldn't just order it online, you actually had to go out and buy it.

So, an argument can be made that, though the internet has brought people together, it has also managed to keep people apart, too,
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Michael Terranova
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:19:06 am »

I played a lot more pool.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:29 am »

If you said computers then answer to your question would depend on your definition of a "computer". The earliest "computers" were mechanical devices used to help people count. The first known counting devices or tools were Tally Sticks from about 35,000 BCE.

But Google began in January 1996 as a research project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin
when they were both PhD students at Stanford University in California

Pryor to 1996 I traveled down south I had many vehicles ect.. my life was very busy, however I never used the internet until around 2005 or around 9-10 years after it began.. do I miss them years before the 2000's perhaps but I am quite humble what I traded it all for I have changed since then I am less materialistic.

keith,   
Report Spam   Logged
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:27:29 pm »

I read more books, physical books.  Not sure that the internet has made people less materialistic.  Perhaps more?
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »

One thing for sure the level of American ignorance has gone down for sure thanks to the internet.

Me tho I listened to Conservative and Liberal radio with a lot of skepticism.

That and I got a slew of books from Adventures Unlimited.
Report Spam   Logged
Tick
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:53:19 am »

I watched a lot of cartoons in the early 1990s.  Cable TV was big in my home. Comic books, obviously, were a big love of mine.  Little did we all know that the optimism of the 1990s would give way to the darkness of the new millenium.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:42:00 pm »

That's a good question, Trent.  Like any new invention, it can be a mixed blessing.  Yes, everything was slower, but we still got the job done.  I enjoy having access to so much more information than before--but that can also be a disadvantage.  How do we deal with the problem of too much information and information of widely diverse quality!

I have been wracking my brain for that answer the last couple of days and I can't really imagine it.

The internet first hit big in 1996 (although it was invented way back in the 60s).  Since then, it has only gotten bigger each year, to the point that we are getting all our news, music and movies from there.

But what was life like before that?  A lot slower, for one thing.  People weren't as "connected."  You had to have actual conversations with people face to face to be friends with them and, when you wanted to buy something, you couldn't just order it online, you actually had to go out and buy it.

So, an argument can be made that, though the internet has brought people together, it has also managed to keep people apart, too,
Report Spam   Logged
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 02:53:33 am »

I played more board games!  Haven't touched one since I got online. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:45:22 am »

It was a lot harder to find like minds.

I think the Lyrans allowed the internet to develop so that America and the rest of the world could have an intelledualism movement.

You take a lot of films from the 60s and 70s you see a lot of dysfunctional behavior being promoted in films and on TV.  Now thanks to the internet the stupidity of films, TV and videos is being called out.

If anything it has promoted a sense of intellectual equality around the world.  You used to have to research stuff, print it and deliver it to people and chance the fact they will read it.  Now all you have to do is find it, and link it.  Now when you post something you can't deny stuff as easily anymore and it makes liars a lot easier to expose.  There will always be spin but now the internet has more pathways for truth than ever.w

Alex Jones would not be as effective in the 1980s or 1990s as he is in the 2000s and 2010s if not for the internet.  The conspiracy-culture is now the mainstream culture in America.

Me personally, I hung out with friends and read a lot of conspiracy books both terrestrial and extra-terrestrial.

The world has always had infinite possibilities, the internet exposes more of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:31 am »

Simple they either raised kids or had 2nd and 3rd jobs.
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

I think they meant for rest and relaxation, people have always had two or three kid and forced to work a lot of jobs. Wages haven't kept up with inflation since the 1980s, that started with Reagan!
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

Just think how far the NWO would be along if not for the internet.
Report Spam   Logged
Krista Davenport
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:49 pm »

For sure, if it wasn't around, paranoid conspiracy theorists would have no place to crow about stopping imaginary North American Unions!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: