Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:50:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

2010 HALLOWEEN'S HERE AGAIN

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 HALLOWEEN'S HERE AGAIN  (Read 1923 times)
Keith Ranville
Superhero Member

« on: October 04, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »

College Murder: A REAL Halloween Horror Tale

This is a true story of jealousy and murder. And, if you believe in that sort of thing, a true story of a lost, mournful spirit still haunting the place where her life was taken.

I spent many late nights in the journalism building, sometimes with fellow students, sometimes alone. I can tell you I did experience some wicked-weird things (cold spots in the air, malfunctioning elevators, creepy shapes and shadows in windows).

Eww A Scarly read

Angelo State University is home to what many skeptics call an urban legend: the story of a ghost haunting the second of floor of the Dorsey B. Hardeman Building. The Hardeman Building is home to the communications, drama, and journalism department. That means, of course, it is also home to the Ram Page.

Therefore, I, and my colleagues, am more than qualified to verify whether the second floor of the Hardeman Building is, in fact, haunted.

From my humble, somewhat intellectual, previously skeptical point of view: it is.

Let me explain how I came to that conclusion.

When I first arrived at ASU, the editor at the Ram Page and others advised me that if I spent enough time on the second floor of the Hardeman Building, I would eventually come around to the belief that something supernatural also calls the building home.

The most convincing part of this tale, initially, is a story that appeared in the April 27, 1978, issue of the Ram Page. The story understandably received top billing and quickly convinced me that the potential for a haunted building certainly existed.

"Photographer Robert Wagner had been formally charged with the Saturday night slaying of freshman Leandra Morales of Eagle Pass."

The story then reveals an eerie, almost gut-wrenching portrait of Leandra's final moments. "[Security officers] unlocked the building and discovered the victim in Room 200, Business Administration Building."

She had been stabbed to death with a pair of scissors.

The Business Administration Building (or BA as it was known) is now the Hardeman Building and Room 200, which was once a classroom, is now better known as the Residence Life Office.

The accused, an AFROTC student, used a pair of scissors to murder the attractive young co-ed after she spurned his romantic advances. (Her portrait is in the archived issue of the Ram Page with the story.) In a follow-up story from the June 22, 1978, Ram Page, Wagner was quoted about his role in the heinous crime.

"I started choking her and grabbed a pair of scissors from a table and stabbed her I don't know how many times," Wagner said. According to the story, Wagner then "dragged Morales' body from the lab to the second-floor classroom down the hall where the body was later found by police."

As a sickening twist, Wagner used a copy of the Ram Page to dry his hands after washing her blood off.

So you can imagine how this horrible scenario sets the stage for what could potentially be a very creepy building. And, in truth, it is.

The second floor of the Hardeman Building consists of one long hallway. At one end, at nighttime, a giant window reflects everything behind you in the hallway. On the other end, home of the infamous Room 200, a large window behind the staircase reveals everything behind you while walking down the stairs.

Setting is important, but not as important as the things that actually happen. And things do happen.

The elevator near Room 200 is well known for its tendencies to operate independent of corporal influence. I once asked an elevator technician if such occurrences were common. "That can't happen," he replied. "Somebody's got to push the button."

The lone, spine-chilling "ding" of the elevator at the end of the hallway is often enough to scare grown men (me) enough that they (I) feel inclined to hurry (run) out of the building.

The following is a rundown of things people have reported seeing or hearing while working or studying on the second floor of the Hardeman Building:

+ electrical equipment turning itself on and off in the editing lab

+ footsteps in the hallway

+ a faint argument between a man and a woman at the far end of the hall

+ previously unplugged radios plugging themselves in and turning themselves on

+ reflections of hazy apparitions appearing behind them while on the staircase

+ telephones ringing incessantly, only to be dead air when answered

+ pictures falling off the wall during the night in locked offices

+ voices where no one can be seen

+ items falling off shelves for no apparent reason

+ "cold spots" in the hallway

As strange as this may sound, I have experienced three of these truly terrifying events myself. This may cause me to lose my credibility as a writer, but I can only report what I see and hear.

Late in the spring semester, almost two years ago, Julie Schlabs (the editor at the time) and I were sitting in her office when we both heard a young woman speak. Naturally, we both stopped to look and see who was visiting our office at such a late hour. The only problem: when we opened the door, the newsroom and hallway were empty, void of any activity.

On a later occasion, I crossed the hall to do some work in another office of the Ram Page only to hear footsteps in the hallway. Out of pure curiosity, I stepped back into the hall to investigate and found no one. Seconds later, I heard the footsteps again and paused to truly ask myself if I heard footsteps and concluded, quite surely, that I did.

Again, I found no one.

The most unnerving experience for me came late last April, coincidentally around the 25th anniversary of Leandra's death. Stacey Patterson, the editor last year, crossed the hall into the same room where I had my "footsteps" experience. The rest of us remained in the main Ram Page office. Suddenly, we heard a loud crash and a scream come from across the hall. Several of us rushed across the hall to find Stacey, pale-faced and obviously shaken, on the verge of tears.

We found in the room that one stack of old Ram Pages, amidst a whole shelf of other stacks, ended up on the floor. We decided resolutely that the stack fell. However, subsequent investigation of the stack's origin proved otherwise. The stack, roughly five inches high, had crashed to the floor as if pushed. Not a single paper remained on the shelf. The situation was odd, to say the least.

That night, we all went home early.

You be the judge of whether such events prove a building is haunted. However, I can vouch firsthand that during the wee hours of the night, the Hardeman Building is full of jumpy journalists—and for good reason.

This list of those who have witnessed unexplainable phenomenon in the Hardeman Building is rather extensive. The only requirement is spending a little time on the second floor

If you'd like to do your own research, the haunting of the Hardeman Building is well documented. A simple search on the Internet reveals a number of others who have documented their experiences with Leandra. The Houston Chronicle even noted the now semi-famous haunting in a Dec. 23, 2002, story:

"We are informed, too, that the sounds of a man and woman arguing are heard late at night in the deserted hallways of the Administration/Journalism Building on the Angelo State University campus in San Angelo."

If you're looking for some late-night horror, come sit by yourself in the deserted hallways of the Hardeman Building. But let me know how things go, because I, most certainly, won't be there.

http://www.asurampage.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/10/30/3fa1b1a344ddc?in_archive=1

http://www.myopenforum.com/forum/showthread.php?1604-College-Murder-A-REAL-Halloween-Horror-Tale

This may scare me Maybe ..

keith,  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: