Atlantis Online
September 15, 2019, 09:09:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.  (Read 1023 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:50 am »

When all else fails, get the facts from the source.

Ostanes, one of the links you gave for evidence of your theory was

Sime, L.C., et al., Evidence For Warmer Interglacials in East Antarctic Ice Cores, Nature, Number 462, Pages 342-345, Nov 19th 2009

You don't seem to be able to interpret what the article means, so to help you out, I contacted L.C. Sime, the author of that article.

Here is my inquiry and her reply:

Dear Sir or Madam

I am having a discussion with some folks about the Antarctic, and whether or not it was ever ice free, during the last 750,000 years or so.  I'm saying that it hasn't been, and one person has quoted your above work to prove that the ice was completely gone.

Would you be so kind as to affirm for me, one way or the other, just exactly what your work does say regarding the Antarctic being ice free in the semi-recent past?  I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Marie

Dear Marie,

The continuous EPICA Dome C ice core from East Antarctic extends back to about 820 000 year ago. This is direct evidence that Antarctica was ice covered at this time. It is thought that the Antarctic has not been ice free in several million years. There is strong evidence for this in ocean cores.

There have been some changes in the last 820 000 years to the shape, volume, and extent of the Antarctic ice sheet. These are changes are small  relative to the total volume of ice contained by the sheet. 

I am not aware of any ice core scientist or glaciologist ever suggesting that Antarctica was ice free 750 000 years ago, thus I am not sure where anyone might have got this idea from. It is not suggested in my 2009 Nature Letter. (The 2009 Letter also explicitly argues, using ice core evidence, for little change in the shape of the East Antarctic ice-sheet during the last ~340 000 years.)

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Louise Sime

Another one of the links you gave for reference for your ice free Antarctica theory was
Abrupt Early to Mid-Holocene Climatic Transition Registered at the Equator and the Poles

I contacted these people also.

My inquiry:

Dear Sir or Madam
I am in discussions with some folks, concerning whether or not Antarctica was ever ice free in the past 750,000 years or so.  I contend that it was not, but someone has linked us to the above article, and I'm hoping you will verify for us, what this means regarding an ice-free Antarctica.  Does this article in any way indicate, that you've discovered there was a time in the not so distant past, that the Antarctic was ice free?

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely
Marie

The reply:

Hi Marie;

Here's a comment you can pass along if you like:

Our 1997 article in Science doesn't indicate ice-free conditions on mainland Antarctica.  In fact, the very presence of the ice layers from which our Taylor Dome core data were obtained demonstrates that ice was present at there throughout the Holocene epoch, and that particular record extends even farther than that back into the depths of the last ice age.  The Mount Moulton ice sequence covers about half a million years, and the EPICA ice core, the longest one yet obtained from Antarctica, represents at least 750-800,000 years of continuous ice cover.

On the other hand, it might well be possible that certain small areas along the coastlines could have been ice-free at various times in the past while the main body of the continent was buried; areas such as the Dry Valleys are without ice cover today, for example.  And areas of floating sea ice could have changed dramatically over time.  But none of these conditions would qualify as an "ice-free Antarctica" in general.

Hope this helps;

Curt

As was said before, the SURFACE WATERS had to be ice free somewhere in time, for huge icebergs to be able to travel 1200 miles North and more, which is where they finally melted and dropped the detritus they were carrying which showed up in the ice cores, and allowed scientists to determine where the ice berg originated, which was on the Eastern side of Antarctica.  The Heard and McDonald islands lay east of Antarctica and they have a lot of volcanic activity.  Perhaps due to multitudindous euptions, as well as warmer temperatures, the surface ice melted or at least thinned enough for the ice bergs to break through and travel the great distances.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:31:15 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: